Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Old Hammer Boy makes it into Texas

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-07, 02:55 PM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Two days ago I crossed over into Texas at El Paso (what a hole). But I made it out of El Paso, and now I'm in Van Horn, in about 120 miles or so. Man, it's windy here. I"ve taken a motel room for two days, hoping to catch up on rest, laundry, etc. I havn't had a break since Safford, AZ, and I've had a real nasty cold, so it's time for a little R&R. Most days I've done 60 miles or more. Yesterday was 80+, and much of it against the wind.

I'm still having a good time, meeting many interesting and helpful people. I'm sure if I get Texas behind me without too many problems I'll be in pretty good shape and should finish in my planned time frame.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments, they really help. Dean
Old 03-23-07, 02:57 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well done, Old Hammer Boy. You're an inspiration to us all!
Old 03-23-07, 03:01 PM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep on truckin'!
Old 03-23-07, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride Sir.
Old 03-23-07, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Good going Dean. I think your going to have a lot of wind here in Texas. I thought Chicago had a lot of wind, but since I moved to Texas I'm not to sure anymore.
Old 03-23-07, 04:22 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep riding, and have fun! I do like reading your story.
Old 03-23-07, 04:40 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Excellent Dean! Thanks for keeping us plugged in thru here and your website. Good idea for the R&R. It's very important to keep this adventure as fun as possible. To heck with deadlines!!
Old 03-23-07, 04:41 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's to hoping some of that wind is at your back!
Old 03-23-07, 04:44 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy

Two days ago I crossed over into Texas at El Paso (what a hole). But I made it out of El Paso, and now I'm in Van Horn, in about 120 miles or so.
So I'm sure you'll eat at the Mexican food restaurant in Van Horn, Chuy's, that is a tribute to John Madden. Seems Madden took his bus through Van Horn 20 years ago, stopped for lunch and has become a regular on crosscountry bus trips since. Food was pretty good.

Yea, west Texas is windy & dry or dry & windy, depending upon the day of the week...
Old 03-23-07, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Good going! I am really enjoying your adventure.

Paul
Old 03-23-07, 11:03 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
Hi Guys,

Two days ago I crossed over into Texas at El Paso (what a hole). But I made it out of El Paso, and now I'm in Van Horn, in about 120 miles or so. Man, it's windy here. I"ve taken a motel room for two days, hoping to catch up on rest, laundry, etc. I havn't had a break since Safford, AZ, and I've had a real nasty cold, so it's time for a little R&R. Most days I've done 60 miles or more. Yesterday was 80+, and much of it against the wind.

I'm still having a good time, meeting many interesting and helpful people. I'm sure if I get Texas behind me without too many problems I'll be in pretty good shape and should finish in my planned time frame.

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful comments, they really help. Dean
Welcome to Texas and congratulations on your trip. I actually worked in Van Horn and Pecos for the better part of a summer, just out of high school. Does the train still come through and wake you up at 5 AM? Are you turning south on 90 or staying on I-10 to Kent? A detour through Fort Davis and then back to 90 is one of the most scenic roads in this big state.

If I wasn't in the north end of the state I'd meet you for a day of pedaling. You're going to see some of the country I'll always call home before you get to the Hill Country.

You'll probably have some fair tailwinds this time of year. Stay prepared for the thunderstorms that start brewing in the evenings.

Again, welcome to Texas.

Last edited by Monoborracho; 03-23-07 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-24-07, 11:44 AM

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My motel is only 1 block from Chuy's. It seems to be the main attraction here in Van Horn. I just finished doing my laundry, the wind has died down considerably and is now from the west, so maybe tomorrow I'll be able to boogie. Last night we lost power for several hours and there were tornadoes in the area. Let's hope all of that is out of its system for now. They reported steady winds of 35-40 MPH, and gusts up to 65. I don't know when I've seen stronger winds. Ahhha West Texas!

Think I'll head over to Chuy's for lunch. It's about that time. And, yes, the trains still blast away as they come through, but not at bad as up in Sierra Blanca where they seem to come from both directions. In Sierra Blanca my tent was only about 200 yards from the tracks, it was a fitful night of sleeping. I slept good last night though and didn't hear a thing.