Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Zero Gravity brakes do work!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-07, 09:26 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I had posted that Zero Gravity brakes meant Zero stopping. I guess I need to adjust that thinking after yesterday. I was riding in a paceline in an organized ride with 10-12 other cyclists where we had just grouped up as we were all riding at about the same level. I was about 4-5 spots back from the front and following a fellow with a little heavier bike. I didn't realize it at the time, but he didn't accelerate as fast as others but he was able to stay with the group just fine. It just took him a little longer to close up when speeds picked up.

We were strolling along about 24-26 in some flats and I was really watching the folks closer to the front and adjusting my speed off them. Well, the fellow in front of me doesn't accelerate as fast as the leaders and I'm all over him. I instinctly squeezed the brakes a little too hard, too quickly and locked up the back wheel and doing the nicest fishtail. It left a nice little skid mark, created a nice flat spot on the tire and scared the bejeebers out of the fellow behind me.

Ahh, the fun of pacelines with people you don't know..........
Old 03-25-07, 09:46 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another reminder of why I like riding alone!

(Not that I have the skills to do what jppe does, but...just sayin!)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 03-25-07, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DG, ask jppe how many times he's actually taken a spill or had a close encounter with destruction when riding in a group. Probably not that many although probably some close calls-- some memorable and most not. I like riding close in with others. If I know somebody's riding style is steady, I feel comfortable nudging up right behind them. If they are a bike "jinker", then I'll drop back a bit. Stayng alert and not dozing off helps...as well as keeping near the brake levers. Imagine spooning up next to your honey in bed......getting in someone's draft is almost (I said "almost") the same thing.

Especially if they shave their legs.......sorry, couldn't resist that one.

P.S. Not many of us could cruise along with jppe for very long...but there are riders at all levels that can lock in together. Gotta find you a riding partner...a cute one. Hmmm. You'd get over your caution about riding in close very quickly.

Last edited by CrossChain; 03-25-07 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-25-07, 01:51 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had a riding partner , but he died in 2001, and offroad we were always knocking bar ends- catching front wheel against rear or just getting too darn close to each other at critical parts of a ride. We never knocked each other off, and some of that was at high speed. We had complete confidence in each other and knew each others riding style. Once he died and I had new riding partners- I attempted to ride with the new guys- the same as I had with Mike. It did not work and they were always falling off their bikes or doing something silly in front of me and knocking me off. It takes confidence to ride close with others. Not just confidence in yourself- Confidence in that the other riders are as good as you.

Spike Milligan
Old 03-25-07, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I probably shouldn't have been laughing as I read your post, but I've been the guy behind you, and, yeah you most likely scared the bejeebers out of him. It is, however, good to know that the brakes work.
Old 03-25-07, 04:02 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jppe,
My memory is of a few post from you describing some bad accidents. I hope we do not get one about you. This stuff is scary. You probably cannot help it because some folks are addicted to danger.
Some of us avoid it like the plague. Life is too short and I do not want to be in a wheelchair.
I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 03-25-07, 05:53 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
CC is so right.

Another quick story from yesterday on pacelines & riding with others.......I had finished the 6 mile climb up Caesars Head and was really trying to just work out the cramps. I limped along solo for about 5 miles and my legs starting feeling much better. I heard some folks coming up from behind and a quick glance indicated a group of 8-9 riders with the fellow out front just flying.

I accelerated and jumped in and off we went. We had about 10 miles to the finish on fairly flat roads and the first fellow and I wound up pulling the group to the finish those last 10 miles. It was an absolute blast. Whenever the other fellow slowed the least bit I'd jump out and lead for a couple miles and vice versa. We passed a bunch of riders and even had to weave through traffic a time or two. I suspect my average speed went from 17-18 to 24-26 in a hearbeat-just fueled by jumping in with the group. Nothing like the energy it gives you riding with others.........
Old 03-25-07, 08:42 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
jppe, you're a hammerhead! (NTTAWWT)