Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Idiot bikers.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Idiot bikers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 03:56 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Idiot bikers.

After a hard day working in the garden- My daughter phoned up to see If I wanted to try the "NEW Harry Ramsbottom" fish and chip shop in Eastbourne- Oh and bring the dog along so I can play with him. As Some of you may realise- Fish and chips is a Tradition in the UK. Harry Ramsbottoms- is a NORTHERN tradition in Fish and chip shops. After taking a long look at the menu- I told them that I was not eating at this restaurant- as I do not trust fish that has the only description as "Fish". No Cod, hake, rock, plaice or any other named fish, on the menu. All it was was fish and when I enquired it was Coley or Whiting. My cats turn up their noses at that rubbish so I walked out and the rest followed. Found another Fish and Chip shop so Down to the beach to eat while the dog played in the sea. It was beautiful.

Only one Hang up. We bikers are pig ignorant. There are signs up on the promenade to say- "No Cycling". No one seemed to take any notice. I nearly got hit by one 14 year old and his dad on Wally mart bikes, The dog decided he did not like the look of some fat git on a bike and barked at him. The fat git told me I should keep the dog under control and as he was stopped at the time- I pointed to the big sign painted across the promenade and told him to get open his eyes before he cycled any further. There must have been about 30 cyclists weaving in and out of the pedestrians in the space of about 5 minutes. Then on top of that-I had to move the car so driving along at 20mph looking for a parking space and I saw a bike on my nearside Coming up from well behind. I indicated and stopped- leaving room for the bike. Good job I did as The cyclist was oblivious to any thing going on around him. He was plugged in to his I Pod and I doubt that he even saw me-let alone that I was stationary.

I have come to the conclusion that we bikers are a menace to car drivers- pedestrians and little friendly animals. So tomorrow I am going up on the hills to see if I can find some Ramblers to upset by riding on their Trails.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-21-07, 04:01 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't be putting pigs in such a bad light.
Old 04-21-07, 06:27 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
What a bummer.

Do you have any idea who makes the best fish and chips in America? That might be like asking who makes the best cheeseburgers in China, but I thought I'd ask.
Old 04-21-07, 06:30 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skipper
Don't be putting pigs in such a bad light.
Indeed. I think Winston Churchill said something like, "I like pigs. Cats look down on us. Dogs look up to us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Old 04-21-07, 06:31 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Having a Meldrew moment Stapfam?

Richard

(Meldrew - the star of One Foot In The Grave)
Old 04-21-07, 06:32 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
The cyclist was oblivious to any thing going on around him. He was plugged in to his I Pod.
DeeGee, are you in England?
Old 04-21-07, 07:16 PM
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
.....................Do you have any idea who makes the best fish and chips in America? ............................
The Warren Country Inn, Warren Oregon... Halibut, batter dipped when it is ordered.
Old 04-21-07, 09:50 PM

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shelter Cove's restaurant and the local "store". They both make fish and chips to die for, straight from the fishermen that bring in their catch and clean it right there.
Shelter Cove Ca. in Humboldt County .
Old 04-21-07, 10:38 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a Navy guy, I have eaten fish and chips at many places on the globe. Generally speaking none are better than in the U.K. Well maybe those halibut ones in Gig Harbor, Washington. Now to the bike part. It is amazing to me how many people who ride bikes seem to be unable to read traffic control signs. Heck our local bike club even has a time trial series over the summer that encourages riders/racers to go through a stop sign. It is no wonder that so many motorists get upset with cyclists.
Old 04-22-07, 03:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But it's just not bikers where I ride there are joggers in the wrong lane,skateborders,fishermen,all in there own world it becomes a pain just to have a nice ride.
Old 04-22-07, 07:33 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
It is no wonder that so many motorists get upset with cyclists.
The real point behind this posting- It does not matter how friendly- law abiding- and respectfull us genuine cyclists are, I can understand why so many Car drivers and pedestrians have it in for us from the actions of a few.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-22-07, 07:52 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Unfortunately the mechanical device attached to one's rear, whether it be bike or car, doesn't seem really to influence the character of the rear-end's owner. Or something like that. I think bikers think that they are saving the earth, promoting world peace, reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and ending wars.

But they're just riding bikes.
Old 04-22-07, 08:03 AM
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The real point behind this posting- It does not matter how friendly- law abiding- and respectfull us genuine cyclists are, I can understand why so many Car drivers and pedestrians have it in for us from the actions of a few.

Please, oh please put this in A & S......

Really though, this is the whole problem we face but not as
specified here. People think nothing of the marauding gits
because this is where it is assumed we belong....on boardwalks,
doping along at a friendly 3mph on a multi-use-path, etc....
Thats why no outrage.
Old 04-22-07, 11:29 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I had to move the car so driving along at 20mph looking for a parking space and I saw a bike on my nearside Coming up from well behind. I indicated and stopped- leaving room for the bike. Good job I did as The cyclist was oblivious to any thing going on around him. He was plugged in to his I Pod and I doubt that he even saw me-let alone that I was stationary.
Reminds me of the guy I saw mountain biking while talking on a cell phone. I didn't hang around to find out when this guy was going to buy it and crash. I just shook my head and kept on riding.
Old 04-22-07, 12:37 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Ran into a young biker today (not literally thankfully) who had stopped to work on his bike in the middle of a 1 bike wide bridge. I politely stopped at the end of the bridge and in a minute he looked up quite startled. "Oh I didn't hear anyone coming". I replied "thats ok bikes sneak up on people" ( I had been coming down the dirt trail at about 20mph and at the very least my locomotive breath should have given me away)

Be nice to the people you meet. For some the lesson may stick, for the others nothing will stick. Perhaps we can form another club like the "club tombay" and tell stories of how peaceful we remained in the face of .................. whatever.

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Zen and the art of peaceful biking

Old 04-22-07, 12:59 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Ran into a young biker today (not literally thankfully) who had stopped to work on his bike in the middle of a 1 bike wide bridge. I politely stopped at the end of the bridge and in a minute he looked up quite startled. "Oh I didn't hear anyone coming". I replied "thats ok bikes sneak up on people" ( I had been coming down the dirt trail at about 20mph and at the very least my locomotive breath should have given me away)

Be nice to the people you meet. For some the lesson may stick, for the others nothing will stick. Perhaps we can form another club like the "club tombay" and tell stories of how peaceful we remained in the face of .................. whatever.

OOOOOOhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Zen and the art of peaceful biking

Most of the folks I encountered in Balboa Park today (Earth Day) were pleasant folk. But once in a while, I had to pass someone who clearly had an attitude and for whatever reason, scowled when I rang my bell. I had fun meeting their sour face with a smile and a cheery "hello!" because that really got to them! Nothing seems more irritating to an irritated person than a cheerful response. Hey, if they want to be in a bad mood that's their decision -- but I don't have to catch it!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-22-07, 01:03 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Does the Queen eat fish and chips?