Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Been doing some thinking about this summer... (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/290475-been-doing-some-thinking-about-summer.html)

Digital Gee 04-22-07 01:05 PM

Been doing some thinking about this summer...

Out on the bike today, doing some thinking.

Thinking of maybe figuring out how to arrange a one-week bike trip. Solo.

Thought maybe of taking the train up to Santa Barbara and biking back to San Diego. Maybe camping along the way, maybe staying at Motel 6 so I can shower up.

Need to spend some time on the touring forum, I suppose.

Something about the day got me to thinking...

Of course, immediate questions came to mind: what bike, what route, how safe is this, am I nuts, and so on. But that's half the fun -- finding the answers. (Already have one answer. I am nuts.)

I'm just doing some thinking...

stapfam 04-22-07 01:16 PM

Don't think about it- Plan your route and go. At least that way we could have 7 days of peace.

I would suggest a 3 day trip initially. If you have a tent then take it but Everything you carry is going to slow you down. Don't try and carry it on a backpack either Get a pannier rack and bags. Or even better would be a BOB trailer.

Only way to see if you can hack it is try it so when are you going?? You seem to do everything else on the spur of the moments so why change now.

Digital Gee 04-22-07 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Don't think about it- Plan your route and go. At least that way we could have 7 days of peace.

I would suggest a 3 day trip initially. If you have a tent then take it but Everything you carry is going to slow you down. Don't try and carry it on a backpack either Get a pannier rack and bags. Or even better would be a BOB trailer.

Only way to see if you can hack it is try it so when are you going?? You seem to do everything else on the spur of the moments so why change now.

The three day idea is a good one. I'll ignore the end of your post since you're clearly still in a foul mood from the idiot cyclists. :D

WillisB 04-22-07 02:10 PM

:D

Proper planning involves a touring specific bike. I suggest a Cannondale T2000, or maybe T800, of course there is the Fuji Touring. You could do a build up on a Surly LHT. Then there any number of custom builders. The possibilities are endless. Then there is the choice of racks and panniers. Front as well as rear. WTH get a handlebar bag too! ;)

Can you access the internet from your cell phone? An update at each rest stop with photos would keep us from missing you! :D

CrossChain 04-22-07 02:17 PM

Phooie. How about some panniers and rack for the Cypress if you want to camp? Or, just a credit card trip with a motel. Perhaps your first trip should be a weekender. Have somebody drop you off 60 to 80 miles away-- whatever distance you like-- and pedal back on in. If you have the camping gear then great. If not, motel it. Bet you'll want to do it again. Such a little sampler ride within the next month seems one way to start. If you could find a riding partner, so much the better. Maybe a few hills, some scenery, some good eats along the way..........

George 04-22-07 02:34 PM

Hey Gary, that's exactly what I'm trying to set up, I think it would be fun.

zymans 04-22-07 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Out on the bike today, doing some thinking.

Thinking of maybe figuring out how to arrange a one-week bike trip. Solo.

Thought maybe of taking the train up to Santa Barbara and biking back to San Diego. Maybe camping along the way, maybe staying at Motel 6 so I can shower up.

Need to spend some time on the touring forum, I suppose.

Something about the day got me to thinking...

Of course, immediate questions came to mind: what bike, what route, how safe is this, am I nuts, and so on. But that's half the fun -- finding the answers. (Already have one answer. I am nuts.)

I'm just doing some thinking...

You can use any bike! It’s a 200 miles trip. You will ride for less than 30 miles a day!
You can walk from San Diego to Santa Barbara in one week :)

WillisB 04-22-07 04:18 PM

I was joking guys! Can't anybody take a joke?

Gary, I agree with the credit card route. Stay at hotels/motels. Buy your meals. It will be a lot of fun. Credit card touring allows you to use whichever bike you are most comfortable on today.

Go out there and have fun!

Jet Travis 04-22-07 05:07 PM

OK, here's another option. Multi-day big group rides, many with camping and/or hotel options http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_WebPa...tourindex.html

You go at your own pace over quiet roads. Prices are usually quite reasonable. There's always interesting company along the way, and somebody else hauls your gear. What could be better?

I've done a bunch, and they're always a blast. If you want to consider a very nice ride in Indiana, let me know. Monobarocho (Hope I spelled that right) is doing it and so am I. www.triri.org.

spry 04-22-07 05:31 PM

Fill that camelback with beer and hit the road,you,re only young once Gary.You might also consider bringing the raincoat-cam.
Anyone know of a charity that Gary could endorse on this Indecisive Crosstate Marathon?A "save the sea urchins" jersey?

Monoborracho 04-22-07 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jet Travis
........ If you want to consider a very nice ride in Indiana, let me know. Monobarocho (Hope I spelled that right) is doing it and so am I. www.triri.org.

Yeah man, am on target to go! I have already gotten reservations at the inns. Slightly more expensive but I just didn't want to have to wake up in a soggy tent. I still have the plane reservation to book but that's it. I haven't decided which bike to take. I'm really looking forward to it.

DG..you can get a small pannier rack that fits a seat tube and will hold 20 pounds or more. Two small rear panniers, a rack bag, and a handlebar bag will take you a long ways on a credit card. You don't really need a lot of clean clothes because, even if you stink, you're not gonna' run into people who know you.

MichiganMike 04-22-07 06:18 PM

Go for it. I have toured for years, and this is the first year I will actually do it on a real touring bike (Cannondale T800). Every other year I used a hybrid and had a ball. First year I went, I used a soft cooler from Walmart and bungeed it to the back rack! That was where everything went. You can get a cheap set of panniers from Nashbar, and a fairly inexpensive rack and you'll be good to go. I don't camp, I stay in hotels. I'd do a three day first, to get an idea of how everything works for you. Touring forum is nice. I hang out there once in a while. You will love it though. I am doing two this year and can't wait.

wrafl 04-22-07 06:26 PM

Hey DG, that sounds like a fun thing to do. Just do it and share with us the experience. I come across a guy that biked around the world, just dont have the link to direct you right now but there's a guy going to pedal across oceans. Pedaling at sea thats it. Here's the link:

http://www.adventuresofgreg.com/HPB/HPBmain.html

And here's another pedal nut:

http://www.theoceans.net/news.php?id=15797

I been thinking on pedaling out to LA on a bicycle too, camping and hotel for some soft bed and hot showers. I know it's been done before and that's quite interesting and a challenge.

Hwy 40 Blue 04-22-07 06:34 PM

This will be the best thing you've ever done on a bike. OK, or the worst. But no, it will be the best. Short tours are wonderful for figuring out yourself, and the bike, and how they connect. The train is the best. I am taking a three-day trip myself this summer that involves taking a train to my jumping-off point. I can't wait. It's a mixture of excitement and fear of tackling the unknown -- something we all should keep doing. Go for it!!

cruzMOKS 04-22-07 07:07 PM

I have not bought much gear yet but I plan to ride the Wabash Trace Nature Trail in Iowa and the Katy trail in Missouri. I plan on doing an overnight ride first to check out the gear. I plan on camping.

Crazyguyonabike.com is a good place to look for packing lists.

BSLeVan 04-22-07 08:01 PM

Do it. It doesn't matter much how it turns out. It will be an experince you'll never forget and well worth the effort made.

stapfam 04-23-07 03:43 AM

Every one convinced you yet? 3 days seems to be better- but if you start thinking about it and planning it too much. It will get complicated. Find some pannier bags and a rack. Fit them- decide if you are camping or Motel and go.

Only other option is as Jet said- Find an organised trip where you will be out with other riders- but this will cost. So will motels and paniers but a good way to get into prolongued bike trips.

And that ride as in www.triri.org. sounds good.

The Weak Link 04-23-07 05:14 AM

One weekend do a simple out and back. That's a pretty painless way to get a feel of what equipment you'll really need.

Thrifty1 04-23-07 10:29 AM

A "supported" tour is an excellent way to acquaint yourself with touring. As a former NBTDA member tour director, I feel compelled to offer these links:
http://www.nbtda.com/
http://www.bicycletour.com/
There are many more websites but this will give you an idea....there are thousands of supported camping & credit card tours and where/when options available.
Good Luck!

card 04-23-07 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam

As Larry the Cable Guy says, "Now that's funny, I don't care what anybody thinks."

DG, pack up and go for it! You'll have fun.

Big Paulie 04-24-07 12:50 AM

Hmm. Maybe those of us in So Cal could join DG (one rider a day, say) to ferry him through our local areas?
In any case, I would suggest staying cheap motels rather than camping. Less gear to carry, more sleep at night.

Little Darwin 04-24-07 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Paulie
In any case, I would suggest staying cheap motels rather than camping. Less gear to carry, more sleep at night.

And showers in case you meet someone along the way you want to smell less foul for. :)

I am considering an over nighter as my first "tour". Ride about 40-50 miles stay in a hotel and ride back the next day.

Digital Gee 04-24-07 09:07 PM

Maybe I should check this out. It's even my size.

Touring bike

BluesDawg 04-24-07 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Maybe I should check this out. It's even my size.

Touring bike

WAY overpriced for such an old beer can bike. Oddball shifters. 27" wheels. (these things are OK, but they decrease the value). If I was in love with it I might offer $200.

SaiKaiTai 04-24-07 09:42 PM

Do it! Do it! Do it!