Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Stay off the roads!!!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Stay off the roads!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 09:02 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Stay off the roads!!!!

While I'm trying to do a recovery ride. I really want to keep my heart rate down and just cruise along. Why do other cyclists have to interfere**********

I was just about at the end of my ride yesterday with only the longest and steepest hill remaining. It is about 1 mile long and averages about 10% so it can get you breathing pretty good. My goal was to ride as easily as I could up that darn thing to keep the HR down. Plus I had over 10,000 ft of climbing over the past two days and didn't want to add to the already somewhat tested legs.

About 1/4 mile from the base of the climb what do I see??? It is another cyclist that is just about at the base of the climb going the same direction as me. The first thing that enters my mind is I wonder if I can overtake the guy that has a substantial lead by the time we get to the top??? What happened to the idea of taking it easy**********

Another out of body experience. The legs and body cannot be controlled and off I go......It is if the bike knows what is going on and lunges ahead. I'm out of the saddle pumping like mad. I hit the base of the hill with a good head of steam and settle into a good cadence for climbing but several gears harder than what I'd planned. I lock in on the other cyclist and he's moving along pretty good but I can tell I'm gaining ground and closing the gap. The HR is soaring, the legs are screaming but there is another rider ahead who needs to be caught!!!!

Up we go both quickly closing in on the top. The fellow ahead hears me coming and picks up the pace. Oh NO!! Find another gear and off I go.

About one bike length from the top I'm able to inch past him. We have a little conversation and off I go.

Paid for it but hey, how often do you get a chance like that????
Old 04-23-07, 09:05 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Up we go both quickly closing in on the top. The fellow ahead hears me coming and picks up the pace. Oh NO!! Find another gear and off I go.

About one bike length from the top I'm able to inch past him. We have a little conversation and off I go.

I saw you coming, jppe, but I had a flat tire and that was as fast as I could go on 20 pounds of pressure.

But, I enjoyed our little conversation.

I hope you weren't winded.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 04-23-07 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 09:21 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
While I'm trying to do a recovery ride. I really want to keep my heart rate down and just cruise along. Why do other cyclists have to interfere**********

I was just about at the end of my ride yesterday with only the longest and steepest hill remaining. It is about 1 mile long and averages about 10% so it can get you breathing pretty good. My goal was to ride as easily as I could up that darn thing to keep the HR down. Plus I had over 10,000 ft of climbing over the past two days and didn't want to add to the already somewhat tested legs.

About 1/4 mile from the base of the climb what do I see??? It is another cyclist that is just about at the base of the climb going the same direction as me. The first thing that enters my mind is I wonder if I can overtake the guy that has a substantial lead by the time we get to the top??? What happened to the idea of taking it easy**********

Another out of body experience. The legs and body cannot be controlled and off I go......It is if the bike knows what is going on and lunges ahead. I'm out of the saddle pumping like mad. I hit the base of the hill with a good head of steam and settle into a good cadence for climbing but several gears harder than what I'd planned. I lock in on the other cyclist and he's moving along pretty good but I can tell I'm gaining ground and closing the gap. The HR is soaring, the legs are screaming but there is another rider ahead who needs to be caught!!!!

When I chase I have one rule, if I catch someone I have to be prepared to keep the same pace it took to catch them. I feel pretty silly if I chase someone and pass them only to have no gas left and get passed by the same rider I passed. I will sometimes chase and stop prior to the pass because I know I can't maintain the pace it took to catch them. Down here with nothing much to look at and no hills to challenge you but overpasses you have to take your fun where you can get it. Did you go for the lean at the finish and raise your arms for KOM title?

2013 Noah RS
Old 04-23-07, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discipline, man, discipline! Where is your discipline? Perhaps one of the most challenging things for me is sticking to the recovery ride plan. I know the demons that drove you to the top all too well.
Old 04-23-07, 09:56 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Don't you just love it when someone pushes you so hard( it is unimportant whether or not they know that they are pushing you) that you will ride till you drop.

The challenges that you issue to yourself are the toughest ones to leave alone.
Old 04-23-07, 09:59 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm the guy in the distance that everyone drops. I consider it a public service.
Old 04-23-07, 10:07 AM
seattle based cyclist

Bikes: Merlin Extralight, Gios Steel, Schwinn Voyageur fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please keep doing this and encouraging everyone else to do it too! ;-).
Old 04-23-07, 10:10 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Did you go for the lean at the finish and raise your arms for KOM title?
Ha!!! I was doing all this very stealth like...trying to be cool like I WASN'T killing myself-Although it was pretty obvious with my gasping for air when I hit the top!!!

Last edited by jppe; 04-23-07 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 10:15 AM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I'm the guy in the distance that everyone drops. I consider it a public service.

me too!
Old 04-23-07, 10:31 AM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Ever catch & pass someone only to be stopped by a red light & have barely enough breath left to grunt an answer when they pull up & start chatting? Probably how we get a reputation of "retrogrouch"! Don
Old 04-23-07, 10:43 AM
Boomer

Caught one yesterday, turned out to be a girl. (give me a break, she had about 40 years on me) I killed myself building about a 30 second lead in the next 3 miles. I hope she didn't see me at the trailhead trying not to throw up in the bushes.....

Old 04-23-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bastige! I would never make you have to work that hard.
Old 04-23-07, 11:47 AM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The rest of my life is (I think) very non-competitive but there is just
something wrong with a bike in front of me. I have to fix it too.
Old 04-23-07, 11:50 AM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny thread.
Old 04-23-07, 11:51 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thats it- I ain't riding with you unless you get on the back of the Tandem- And if you overtake me from there- then we are both in trouble.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 04-23-07 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 12:26 PM
Boomer

Is that why tandems are so fast? The guy in back wants to pass the guy in front?
Old 04-23-07, 12:49 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Caught one yesterday, turned out to be a girl. (give me a break, she had about 40 years on me) I killed myself building about a 30 second lead in the next 3 miles. I hope she didn't see me at the trailhead trying not to throw up in the bushes.....

I've come to the conclusion there is a defective male gene causing this reaction
There is one man in the group I ride with that just can't stand it when a woman passes him. If I pass him on a hill he'll bust his ____ to catch up and pass me.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-23-07, 01:26 PM

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suffer from no dilusions of grandeur . . . I'm faster than I used to be, but not fast enough to catch anyone worth catching!
Old 04-23-07, 01:27 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly

I've come to the conclusion there is a defective male gene causing this reaction
There is one man in the group I ride with that just can't stand it when a woman passes him. If I pass him on a hill he'll bust his ____ to catch up and pass me.
Hate to say it but that one man has a lot of defective genes. If he can't sit behind a female rider and enjoy the view- then he cannot be normal.

Sorry about the sexist bit- but I have also had females follow my butt, thighs and calves up a hill. Good job they never overtook me to see if the face matched the parts they could see.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-23-07, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Ibis Mojo, Breezer Storm SS, Gunnar Ruffian SS, Klein Rascal SS, Basso Gap, Breezer Ignaz cruiser, Gunnar Rockhound, 2 old Schwinns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was my recovery ride as well and when I caught up to a female on a tri-bike I decided not to pass since I was watching my heart rate. Guess I wasn't watching the road when I rode into a pothole...

Originally Posted by stapfam
Hate to say it but that one man has a lot of defective genes. If he can't sit behind a female rider and enjoy the view- then he cannot be normal.

Sorry about the sexist bit- but I have also had females follow my butt, thighs and calves up a hill. Good job they never overtook me to see if the face matched the parts they could see.
Old 04-23-07, 02:06 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam

You're right, stapfam. This man does have several defects

I have to admit that there is one member of our group who has the most muscular calves I've ever seen on a cyclist and he's one of the oldest members.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-23-07, 02:42 PM
Boomer

I'm sorry to say that I didn't notice it was a girl untill after I was passing. She was pretty fast and I think that I was begining to black out overtaking her..........

The really funny part of the story is when she sailed by at the trail head not even noticing if I was going to die.

DG is right Grey hair is invisable
Old 04-23-07, 04:35 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great post - a 1,000 feet would have done me in.

Some young rider I have 25 years and 75 lbs on passed be on my commute home today. Before I realized it he had a 300 yard lead. I caught up by bringing my speed somewhere over 20mph for a while but ended up backing off to conserve energy. Three quarters into my ride I have a 1.5 mile stretch on 6 lane high speed highway and like to minimize my time - so this old fart has to conserve his energy.
Old 04-23-07, 05:44 PM
HomeBrew Master!

Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I caught one just at the top of the hill...it was a mailbox!!! I hate it when I do that!!
Old 04-23-07, 07:10 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only in my dreams.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.