Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bolt on conversion to QR?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 06:02 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

This is strange but I know absolutely nothing about what it takes to convert a bolt on wheel to quick release. I'll trust my luck to 50+ before I'll surrender this post the the mechanics.

Mrs. Maxx's Jamis Earth Cruiser needs the conversion so that we may explore different bike racks.

Having just had my second hitch rack blown away by another car it may be time for me to think about a rooftop rack.
Old 04-25-07, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
You're going to need a hollow axle that is the same size as the original, and a quick release skewer.

It will involve removing the old axle, unscrewing the cones, lock nuts, and washers, screwing it all onto the new axle exactly as it was. While it's apart it would be wise to clean the old grease, replace the bearing balls and add new grease.
Old 04-25-07, 07:13 PM
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It's an easy job, one you could do yourself or which would cost peanuts if you paid the lbs to do it.

Richard
Old 04-25-07, 08:33 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Keep in mind, that's 2 more items you need to lock. Had my rear wheel stolen while at the library!
Old 04-26-07, 07:51 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Louis
You're going to need a hollow axle that is the same size as the original, and a quick release skewer.

It will involve removing the old axle, unscrewing the cones, lock nuts, and washers, screwing it all onto the new axle exactly as it was. While it's apart it would be wise to clean the old grease, replace the bearing balls and add new grease.
Unfortunately, it's not quite that easy.

Besides finding an axle that's the same diameter and exactly the right length, it also has to have the same thread. Most QR axles are going to be 1mm thread and most solid axles will be 26tpi. That's just enough difference in threads to keep your existing cones and locknuts from working. Forget about just also replacing the cones because then you'll have issues with where the cones pass through the dust cover. Bottom line is you'll probably have to buy a new axle just for that purchase rather than salvaging an axle from another hub. Figure $12.00 to $20.00 per axle not counting the QR lever at $10.00 and up.

Front axles are sometimes impossible to do because a lot of solid front axles are a smaller diameter and you won't be able to get a hollow QR axle that size.

It's do-able, but it's probably going to cost more than you think.
Old 04-27-07, 05:13 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to do some measuring (and then comes the hard part, finding where to buy the appropriate axle.) The problem may be solved anyway as the new bike rack is going to be the Hollywood sport rider which takes the bikes with the wheels still on.

For those of you who carry multiple bikes, beware of the beach cruiser style of bike. It sticks out in places that your other bikes have places.