Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Well, I sold the 3900

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Well, I sold the 3900

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-07, 11:36 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I sold the 3900

Yep, I sold my wonderful, never-let-me-down Trek 3900 mtb, the bike that brought me back into cycling. A nice young kid bought it tonight and rode off into the night air. Even he could see I had mixed feelings about selling it. He asked me, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

But, it was time. The bike served me very well; and the money will be put aside for another bike someday. And now there's just a bit more room in the dining room.

Thanks, Craigslist, for finding a good home for the bike. I have to admit, I do feel like I've just said goodbye to a good friend that I'll probably never see again.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-29-07, 11:42 PM

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, as an owner of a Trek 3900, I will say that the Trek got me into cycling (trials, roadie, touring, and good ol' rugged singletracks) a year ago and he should enjoy it.

Who knows? Maybe in a year he'll be a hardcore biker just like me. I just built my first wheel a couple days ago and I plan to do my first night time trail riding tomorrow night with my homemade lighting system.

Rest assured that the bike will never let someone else down.
Old 04-30-07, 12:10 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hear the 3900 is the favorite bike of drug dealers, who like to slice open the tubes and hide bags of cocaine in them. Then after one run, they are chopped up and tossed into the ocean.
Old 04-30-07, 12:12 AM

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I hear the 3900 is the favorite bike of drug dealers, who like to slice open the tubes and hide bags of cocaine in them. Then after one run, they are chopped up and tossed into the ocean.
The Jehovah's Witnesses around here have 'em too. And they are pretty good bikers.
Old 04-30-07, 01:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
They are then eaten by ravenous sharks. I hunt down the sharks who are laden with the weight of the heavy bikes in their belly. I kill the sluggish sharks, and retrieve the bike fragments. Then I re-fabricate them, and sell them on Craig's List/San Diego...

Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-30-07, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard Trek 3900's are rapidly becoming the bike most stolen, something about them being little known (so far) collector items and their value shooting through the roof.
Old 04-30-07, 05:43 AM
Coyote!

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey 'Gee.

You're a helluva man to give her up! Dunno' how you do something like that. I've got a humble stable of four bikes and manage to ride 'em all over the period of a month, including the two that are 'beaters'. In fact, I end up having as much fun on the beaters as on the others. . .they're mechanically sound and solid.

Well done.

Old 04-30-07, 06:37 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Yep, I sold my wonderful, never-let-me-down Trek 3900 mtb, the bike that brought me back into cycling. A nice young kid bought it tonight and rode off into the night air. Even he could see I had mixed feelings about selling it. He asked me, "Are you sure you want to do this?"

But, it was time. The bike served me very well; and the money will be put aside for another bike someday. And now there's just a bit more room in the dining room.

Thanks, Craigslist, for finding a good home for the bike. I have to admit, I do feel like I've just said goodbye to a good friend that I'll probably never see again.
Wow! Wish I could let go of a few bikes.

You're getting rid of the mountain bike and going road and I'm headed in the opposite direction. I'm not getting rid of the road bikes but I will be adding a mountain bike to my collection. I think this means I need to thin out the collection, too My van hasn't seen the garage in years.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 04-30-07, 09:27 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's the last picture I'll be posting of the 3900. Sniffffff

This is the buyer, a young whippersnapper just moved down from Sacramento. His g/f has a 3900 as well. He was amazed at the excellent condition of the bike -- not a scratch on it. I included my slicks and gave him the original receipt and owner's manual as well.

Farewell, Mark! Ride her well!

PS: Thanks for the kind words, Beverly, Coyote, and z415. The rest of you must be a blast at a wake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek-buyer.jpg (86.2 KB, 39 views)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 04-30-07, 09:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shame, tossing an old, loyal friend aside like that
Old 04-30-07, 10:25 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Hey-I saw that guy's picture on the wall at the local post office as one of America's Most Wanted...and now riding a black bike to be more stealth like at that!!
Old 04-30-07, 11:00 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Well, its better than watching a kid ride off with it without paying, which is what happened to me in San Diego with my beloved Bianchi Eros. I was a block from home when I saw him, and realized that someone had broken into our garage. I had the instant choice of chasing him, or going home to stop anyone from stealing anything that my wife had in the garage. I did manange to stop another fellow from carting away my tool box though.
Old 04-30-07, 11:02 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by z415
The Jehovah's Witnesses around here have 'em too. And they are pretty good bikers.

More likely they are Mormons'. I've never seen Jehovah's Witnesses on bicycles.
Old 04-30-07, 12:29 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If a guy with a face like that showed up at my house, I would've given him whatever he wanted.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 04-30-07, 12:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DG: The way I see it is that you've given the 3900 new life, and it now gets to ride side-by-side with another of it's own kind. You did a good thing. Go out and hoist a few in celebration and memory of your departed friend.
Old 04-30-07, 12:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Methinks DG has just made room for a new bike!

Let the speculation begin!
Old 04-30-07, 03:08 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I just seen a bike like that, sold for $ 3000.
Old 04-30-07, 05:16 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fine, use her up and abandon her... did you get good $$$?

It's good to know she'll be with someone who will put her to good use. sniff, sniff
Old 04-30-07, 05:43 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Wow, DG giving up his 3900! Well, maybe it's time for me to sell the Nishiki Ariel that got me back into cycling about the same time DG returned.
NAH!