Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Oh No, I Bought another bike today (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/293234-oh-no-i-bought-another-bike-today.html)

RoMad 04-30-07 06:18 PM

Oh No, I Bought another bike today

Well, back in December I got my first road bike in years, a Lemond Tourmalet. After 800 miles,I love to ride it. Then I read about the feel of steel and buy a very nice used steel Specialized Sirrus two weeks ago. It rides so smooth that I love it, but it is a little slow. So not willing to leave well enough alone, I go to a Litespeed dealer and ride a Litespeed Tuscany. I really really liked the ride and it was as fast as my Lemond, but we couln't agree on the price. Then I'm looking around on e-bay and bid on another Tuscany and actually got it. On top of all of these bikes, I still have my Trek 4300 mountain bike. We went camping over the weekend and took the mountain bikes and it was like getting back in touch with an old friend. Considering the price of the Tuscany and the fact that it will ride like a combination of the other road bikes, I guess I will sell the Lemond and the Specialized. I like them, but just don't see me riding 3 different road bikes. I know some of you have a stable of bikes, but I just don't see keeping them if I don't ride them. I do have 3 kayaks but I guess that's another forum.

old and new 04-30-07 06:33 PM

By virtue of you being in this forum,by having so many bikes,I'll allow it.I'm not quite at the point you are,not by choice,not just yet.Use them all,you have plenty of time to get rid of them,perhaps you will not have enough time this summer to enjoy all to the fullest,try though.It makes me happy to read your post,I'm glad to weigh in on it as well.Hey,we're over 50, it's high time we're getting to the point of having "enough " bikes,as for too many ? Not on your life! You get to test! Besides,isn't in nice to know that others:buddys,nephews,girlfriends,whoever,can accompany you on a ride ? To have the where-with-all,the lust to satiate our desires in bicycles,way cheaper than cars and less frustrating than golf.

ang1sgt 04-30-07 07:04 PM

If I had to have ONE Bike and only ONE bike it would be a Titainium Frame Bike of some sort. I would love to have one Hardtail MTB in Ti and one road bike like the Litespeed Tuscany that you have now. That is such a fine bike.

Chris

BluesDawg 04-30-07 07:17 PM

Seems that you have a very rapidly developing variety of the disease that affects many of us. Aluminum to steel to unobtanium road bikes in less than 6 months. That may be some kind of record!

Normally I would make an arguement for keeping the old bikes, but in this case I think selling them off is a good idea. You need to make room for more variety in your stable. Now you have a basic MTB and a fairly high end road bike. Now you need to get a beater / around town bike. The Sirrus might be a candidate for that role or you may want to get an old steel MTB and roadify it. You may want a touring bike. There is also a whole range of varieties of mountain bikes. You could go for a full suspension model if you are into fast rides on rough trails. Or if you are more into casual offroading, you may want the kind of bike that has my fantasy interest these days, a rigid, steel, single-speed 29er.

jppe 04-30-07 09:17 PM

We need to quarantine RoMad!!! He is very contagious!!!!

Rick@OCRR 05-01-07 09:20 AM

I wish I still had the Peugeot PX-10 that I bought new in '68! Since then, and in addition to that Peugeot, I've sold my Panasonic Track (Pista) bike, my Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, and given my aluminum GT Edge to my brother.

Fortunately, I've kept everything else, including my '77 Masi Gran Criterium (though now it serves me as a single-speed). I have eight bikes now, and my wife has five, so just when I think we have enough, another great deal comes along . . . which is how I added a Calfee last week!

So it goes . . .

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR

nalax49 05-01-07 03:26 PM

You need another mountain bike

How about full suspension or perhaps a 29er?

And what about upgrades for the Litespeed?

New shorts/bibs? You can't just get one pair, you need at least a couple so it's easier to switch off.

Check out the Garmin 305 GPS heart rate/cadence/computer.

You can turn one of the road bikes into a fixie or singlespeed too.

RoMad 05-01-07 06:39 PM

A friend of mine picked up the Litespeed today in Birminham Alabama and I will get it tomorrow. He said it looks very good. I will put the Lemond on e-bay in a couple of days. I will be too busy with the new bike before that. I think I may not need to be in too big of a hurry to get rid of the Sirrus just yet, but I am definately not riding or looking at any other bikes for a while. On the other hand, I don't have a heart rate monitor. Maybe I'll just read about them on the forums and think about it.

oilman_15106 05-01-07 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I wish I still had the Peugeot PX-10 that I bought new in '68! Since then, and in addition to that Peugeot, I've sold my Panasonic Track (Pista) bike, my Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, and given my aluminum GT Edge to my brother.

Fortunately, I've kept everything else, including my '77 Masi Gran Criterium (though now it serves me as a single-speed). I have eight bikes now, and my wife has five, so just when I think we have enough, another great deal comes along . . . which is how I added a Calfee last week!

So it goes . . .

Best Regs,
Rick / OCRR

A habit that is hard to break. When I feel I have enough bikes, measure up a pine box.

John E 05-01-07 10:12 PM

Since my elder son seems to be enjoying the PKN-10, which really is about an inch / 2+ cm too tall for me, I told him he can keep it, which leaves me with 4 working bikes and one project (Capo #2).

The Weak Link 05-02-07 06:21 AM

Sooooo......is there a problem? Too many bikes is kinda like being too rich or too good looking. Can't be done.