Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone have problems buying a bike?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone have problems buying a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 11:26 AM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be interested, Recycle, if you find a rear rack for your wife's bike since that sounds handy to have. Wondered too about the seat being so close to the back tire.

Just got back from my first ride on the Suede. Had a blast: rode through sand, crushed rock, bumpy dirt trail, nice smooth pavement, (saw 5 antelope on the way back) and a gust of wind that about knocked me sideways. The bike handled well, is comfy, etc. The sand was a little scary. The only thing I noticed is a sore forearm muscle - I think from shifting the twist shift! Guess I'll have to get used to that. Have to say it was the right choice for me. I practiced stopping at stop signs, looking out for car doors opening and people backing out their driveways, etc. Loved it.
Old 05-05-07, 03:32 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Are you certain you needed advice? You tried the bikes and bought the one that felt right. You were not swayed by the looks or the colour or the price. That is exceptional for this forum.

Well done on getting the bike you want and trust that you have many happy miles together-

Give it a week to get used to and then take it for a ride next weekend. We will expect pics though and you will have to celebrate with pie somewhere on the ride.

On the rear Rack- some Mountain bikers use a seat post mounted rack. It will not take the weight
of panniers but a top bag fully loaded is fine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thudb.jpg (68.3 KB, 4 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-05-07 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-05-07, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rosie8
I would be interested, Recycle, if you find a rear rack for your wife's bike since that sounds handy to have. Wondered too about the seat being so close to the back tire.

Just got back from my first ride on the Suede. Had a blast: rode through sand, crushed rock, bumpy dirt trail, nice smooth pavement, (saw 5 antelope on the way back) and a gust of wind that about knocked me sideways. The bike handled well, is comfy, etc. The sand was a little scary. The only thing I noticed is a sore forearm muscle - I think from shifting the twist shift! Guess I'll have to get used to that. Have to say it was the right choice for me. I practiced stopping at stop signs, looking out for car doors opening and people backing out their driveways, etc. Loved it.
Were you wearing some type of glove on your hands, with a leather or other "abrasive" surface? You won't have to squeeze hard to turn the twist shifter. Squeezing might be what made your muscle sore.
Old 05-05-07, 08:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a matter of fact I meant to wear padded gloves but forgot them in my excitement to get out and ride. I might try to watch myself when shifting to see if I'm squeezing too hard as you say. Both my hands felt a little crampy because I think I was clutching too hard. I wanted to practice shifting and went up & down a lot of small hills. Will try shaking out my hands and might think about bar ends for shifting my hands around. Don't know if they make them for the Suede but I noticed the little caps on the end do come out.

Stapfam, thanks for the words of encouragement and the pics of the rack mounted on the seatpost. That might be a good choice for this type of bike.
Old 05-05-07, 08:15 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on your choice. I have two friends with Suedes and they both love them. In fact, one of them has two. He summers in Wisconsin and winters in Nevada. So he purchased identical Suedes, one for each location.
Old 05-05-07, 10:46 PM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Did you get the antelope to race with you???

Glad you're having a good time with the Suede. I wish you many happy miles on it.

The only problem with the seat being so close to the tire is that you can't buy just any rear rack and expect it to fit. The seat post isn't long enough to allow a post mounted rack like the one stapfam suggested ... we haven't found one at least. The rack has to be adjustable fore and aft as well as up and down to clear both the tire and the seat. There are a couple of high end racks that will fit, and possibly one fairly low cost one from REI. We also have to check with Giant. They may have come out with a rack to fit the Suede this year.

I'll let you know when we get ready to buy one. For now my wife is happy to let me haul the gear
Old 05-06-07, 05:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recycle, have you tried any of the Freddy Fenders? I noticed how angled the seatpost is in addition to how low the saddle is.

The antelope are there a lot when I walk my dogs every a.m. They lie down in the grass and you only see the V of their pronghorns. If you approach too closely they stand up then run off. I might post a picture for you to see because they are beautiful. This winter the Game & Fish rounded up a herd of about 50 and relocated them to the Flagstaff, Sunset Crater area so that they would have room to reproduce & survive. They are slowly being crowded out here by all the construction. So sad.
Old 05-06-07, 05:37 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Ended up with the Suede because it was the one that felt just right.
There is no better reason to choose a bike.
Old 05-06-07, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I last rode in your area in 1988. Went up the Yarnell grade. Have fun going down. You are hooked now. You may have a whole stable of bikes in a while.
Old 05-07-07, 10:32 PM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry I missed these before

Originally Posted by airbrake
RECYCLE, have you actually found a rear rack that will fit a suede? We tried to put one on my wifes and the seat is so close to the fender that it just wouldn't work.
Not yet. It looks like a Tubus Vega, Logo, or Cargo may fit with the proper adapter hardware I have to send some photos and measurements to Wayne at the Touring Store.

Recycle, have you tried any of the Freddy Fenders? I noticed how angled the seatpost is in addition to how low the saddle is.
My wife hasn't felt the need for fenders yet, so I haven't tried to fit any on her bike.