Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for California Tours?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 08:19 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rather than pile on to Denver's thread, I thought I'd create a new one...

My wife and I are looking to do about a week of cycling in California in November, probably something on the order of 50-75 miles a day, stay in B&B's or equivalent. We've done "self-guided" tours before where they provide you with the routes and schlep your luggage from place to place. Also, a group tour is fine (as long the riders are roughly equivalent caliber). We've looked at Terry Morse's Undiscovered Country Tours (he posts on some of the other forums here) which looks fairly close.

Our original thought was the Solvang area, but definitely open to suggestions. (We lived in the bay area long ago but weren't cyclists then, but have since done the Tour De Palm Springs).

Suggestions/ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-06-07, 02:20 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, it's been a while, but my girlfriend had a nice loop starting in Ventura, going up to Ojai then to Santa Barbara, up San Marcos Pass to Solvang, spent New Years Eve in Solvang and then went back to Santa Barbara.

San Diego has some interesting possibilities such and taking the back roads to Campo, Boulevard, Boulder Park and Julian.

You might want to check out the Anza Borrego area. Borrego Springs is a nice place.

Or try an all mountain tour going from Big Bear to Mt. Wilson.