Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 01:28 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride Report

I have a neighborhood I enjoy cycling called Kensington. Once I get there, there is a .8 mile loop around the neighborhood of Tudor and Spanish homes (which actually do go well together!) with almost no traffic. So I like going 'round and 'round.

Today, I rode 15 miles in the time it usually takes me to ride 10 on the Cypress. I wasn't hammering. I was putting about the same effort in, but this bike is so much more efficient.

Before Roubaix a ten mile ride in the same neighborhood with the Cypress was about an hour. With the Roubaix I rode 15.07 miles in 1 hour, 4 minutes.

Color me stoked.

I may have to change my signature line. I'm not sure how much of it is physical any more!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-10-07, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hear you on that one. Same thing happened when I went to the Bianchi from the Sirrus. It only gets more fun.
Old 05-10-07, 01:31 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee

I may have to change my signature line. I'm not sure how much of it is physical any more!
Bear in mind Greg LeMond's famous words, "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster." Except in my case it's not any easier and I'm not going faster.
Old 05-10-07, 01:35 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Cool. But get that beast out on the road! You have it pacing around in its cage. Time to let it run free.
Old 05-10-07, 01:41 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Cool. But get that beast out on the road! You have it pacing around in its cage. Time to let it run free.
Just about to post the same. So get the Lycra on and take the camera. Want more pictures of the Bikini Babes on bikes. And I bet they will be thrilled to see the stretched, but not too much, Bib shorts.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-10-07, 01:41 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Pictures?
Old 05-10-07, 01:44 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
Pictures?
Here's one home in the neighborhood:

Old 05-10-07, 01:45 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on getting out on the open road

I enjoy the road rides sponsored by organizations and clubs. They're usually on low-traffic roads, have food stops and SAG service. Most have shorter rides if you don't feel like doing a century and it's a great way to meet other cyclist in your area. It takes a lot of worry out of riding the roads.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-10-07, 02:47 PM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
15 miles around a .8 mile loop has got to be as boring as riding a trainer. Get that puppy out on the road for pete sake.
Old 05-10-07, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
It sounds like you finally connected Gary, have fun and blow some of those young pups off the road.
Old 05-10-07, 02:56 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
15 miles around a .8 mile loop has got to be as boring as riding a trainer. Get that puppy out on the road for pete sake.
Actually, it wasn't boring at all. I get into my zone in my head, and just enjoy. Different scenery would be nice, but I truly wasn't bored.

I live about 20 miles from any country or rural roads, so I'd have to put the bike on the car, drive to a spot, find somewhere to park, and then ride. That sounds like a weekend ride. I do look forward to that. Another possibility is riding down what we call the Strand, from Coronado to Mexico and back. All bike path, no traffic lights (well, maybe one or two). But even that's only about 8 miles each way.

Old 05-10-07, 03:10 PM
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or you can drive to Mission Bay and do the entire circuit including Fiesta Island (15 miles)
Old 05-10-07, 03:38 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I enjoy riding a short loop from time to time. You get very comfortable on the course and it becomes relaxing as you just ride and ride and ride. I'd love to have access to a closed loop course, like say a high school track, to go out and do laps. It can be fun to time each lap too and play little games with it. Like trying to hit the same time on 3 or 4 laps in a row. Or try to lower it for 3 or 4 laps, then take a couple of rest laps before trying again.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-10-07, 03:59 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Actually, it wasn't boring at all. I get into my zone in my head, and just enjoy. Different scenery would be nice, but I truly wasn't bored.

I live about 20 miles from any country or rural roads, so I'd have to put the bike on the car, drive to a spot, find somewhere to park, and then ride. That sounds like a weekend ride. I do look forward to that. Another possibility is riding down what we call the Strand, from Coronado to Mexico and back. All bike path, no traffic lights (well, maybe one or two). But even that's only about 8 miles each way.
Drive to UCSD La Jolla and park. Ride down Torrey Pines past the golf course and down the hill to Cardiff or Del Mar and back. We want to see ocean and babeage pics.

Edit: If you are not ready for Torrey Pines hill, park at Torrey Pines beach and ride to Encinitas and back.

Last edited by Hermes; 05-10-07 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-10-07, 04:12 PM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a neighborhood I enjoy cycling called Kensington. Once I get there, there is a .8 mile loop around the neighborhood of Tudor and Spanish homes (which actually do go well together!) with almost no traffic. So I like going 'round and 'round.

Today, I rode 15 miles in the time it usually takes me to ride 10 on the Cypress. I wasn't hammering. I was putting about the same effort in, but this bike is so much more efficient.

Before Roubaix a ten mile ride in the same neighborhood with the Cypress was about an hour. With the Roubaix I rode 15.07 miles in 1 hour, 4 minutes.

Color me stoked.

Did you find the EPO**********????
Old 05-10-07, 05:49 PM
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are not ready for Torrey Pines hill, park at Torrey Pines beach and ride to Encinitas and back.[/QUOTE]

I think he's ready
Old 05-10-07, 06:19 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

You're just going to have to trust us on this. Try the 8 mile each way ride. Then start looking for roads off of that. At some point in the next few days, weeks or months you are going to make a post about a new kind of ride. You'll be telling us about how you headed out with no particular destination in mind, exploring roads. You'll tell us about neighborhoods, roads, hills, parks, girls etc. that you saw along the way. You'll tell us about how you had no idea you could ride so far and have so much fun. That post is coming. Count on it.
Old 05-10-07, 07:32 PM
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or you can ride the 37 mile option at the San Diego Century next week.
https://www.encinitasrace.com/sdc/des...nsmaps.html#37
Old 05-10-07, 07:38 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zymans
Or you can ride the 37 mile option at the San Diego Century next week.
https://www.encinitasrace.com/sdc/des...nsmaps.html#37
Ahem. Will you be doing the Dos Picos?

I may have a new bike, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready for an organized ride. Then again, how does one know if one is ready? That 37 miler looks doable but challenging...

Old 05-10-07, 07:52 PM
just keep riding

Haven't you figured it out yet? It's not about you. It's the bike. You bought a century bike. It must be ridden. It is ready for you to do a 37 mile organized ride and that is what matters. Don't deny the bike.

Organized rides are great. And this sounds like a good one with no pressure to go too fast. I started doing organized rides way back when I was newly single. I figured it would be a good way to meet healthy, attractive women. I was right. Just sayin'.
Old 05-10-07, 07:53 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haven't you figured it out yet? It's not about you. It's the bike. You bought a century bike. It must be ridden. It is ready for you to do a 37 mile organized ride and that is what matters. Don't deny the bike.

Organized rides are great. And this sounds like a good one with no pressure to go too fast. I started doing organized rides way back when I was newly single. I figured it would be a good way to meet healthy, attractive women. I was right. Just sayin'.
<perk!>

Old 05-10-07, 08:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Point eight, round and round and round? Or the Strand? Jeez, man, the Strand is only 16 miles round trip?
The Roubaix could chew that up and spit out without you in the saddle. Get and do it. Trust me, you can.
Seriously, anything less is just wankin' (no offense to our British brothers and sisters here)
Old 05-10-07, 08:19 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey DG, I have some errands that need taken care of. Can you ride over and help out?
Old 05-10-07, 08:57 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, put it through it's paces. Put your AARP card away and get out there and ride.
Old 05-11-07, 06:55 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ahem. Will you be doing the Dos Picos?

I may have a new bike, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready for an organized ride. Then again, how does one know if one is ready? That 37 miler looks doable but challenging...
Do it. The most fun I had last year was doing the NYC Tour, 40 miles throught the burroughs. It was my first organized ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.