Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Intervals or Long Ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Intervals or Long Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-07, 01:10 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Intervals or Long Ride?

I promised myself that i would start doing some interval training this week and today is the first scheduled day. But this is the nicest day of the year weather wise, so I really want to go for a nice long ride to enjoy the weather. So what do I do, intervals (not pleasant but sure to improve my endurance and speed) or just do a longer ride? Nice days have been at a real premium this year.
Old 05-08-07, 01:54 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On that long ride-just start attempting the interval training. The last 200 yards up a slope are worth sprinting, providing you have just taken it steady before hand and recover afterwards. Failing that- two markers on the flat 200 yards apart do just aswell. 3 on a 20 mile ride are enough to start with but make certain you fully recover after each one.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-08-07, 02:11 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
On that long ride-just start attempting the interval training. The last 200 yards up a slope are worth sprinting, providing you have just taken it steady before hand and recover afterwards. Failing that- two markers on the flat 200 yards apart do just aswell. 3 on a 20 mile ride are enough to start with but make certain you fully recover after each one.
Good suggestion.

Here's an article with suggestions on working those intervals into your rides.
https://www.cptips.com/intervl.htm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-08-07, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Our cross-country coach was a big proponent of fartlek (Swedish for "speed play") -- a sort of free-form interval training in which one varies one's pace during a run. It's rather like the way children move about a playground as they vary their speeds from walk, toi jog, to spring according to how they feel. It became a verb for us ("just take it easy on Saturday and fartlek for a few hours.") It also gave us a long succession of winning teams. Not sure whether the cycling world has anything analagous.

Paul
Old 05-10-07, 08:00 AM
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife just read an article that said recent research shows that 30 seconds at sprint and 4 minutes of recovery repeated for 30 minutes is the equivalent of 1 1/2 hours of moderate riding. I'm going to try this 1X per week with 30 minutes of tempo. YMMV.

Jim
Old 05-10-07, 08:48 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Well, I picked the intervals. 16 miles with 6 interval sets of 3 min on 2 off at HR up to 95% of max. The last 3 weeks I have been doing a couple of tempo type rides and now the intervals. last night, I rode 30 miles at an endurance type HR (otherwise known as just a ride). I was 15 minutes faster than the last time I rode it a three weeks ago, and at a lower HR. So it really looks like adding some training type rides is working well.