Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm a bike shorts virgin no more...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-07, 05:16 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's right -- I gave it up this afternoon. Bought me a $50 pair of Canari shock absorbing, saddle pressure relieving, pure comfort (says so right on the label!) men's black HNS gel baggy cycling shorts. I have no idea what HNS stands for.

Also stopped at Target for several Champion Duo Dry t-shirt jerseys, which promise to wick and speed evaporation while helping me keep cool and dry, all at the great price of $9.99 each. Even got one sleeveless. My oh my.

I'm stylin' now!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-11-07, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Get a cycling jersey. Those back pockets are real handy.
Old 05-11-07, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've yet to cross that theshold Mr.Target HUH ? That's really inexpensive! Actually I ought to be ordering shorts and jerseys now,instead of being here. By the way, post of the footware,big guys or wide feet guys have difficulty with shoes .
Old 05-11-07, 05:36 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Bought me men's black gel baggy cycling shorts....Also stopped at Target for several Champion Duo Dry t-shirt jerseys!
Ah Grasshopper, I am glad to see your inner Fred is alive and well. I was worried there for a little while.
Old 05-11-07, 05:47 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Have you worn the gel shorts yet?
Old 05-11-07, 06:12 PM

Bikes: Serotta, kestrel, Raleigh, Cannondale, Proflex, Santana tandem, Santana Stylus (single), Trek, Schwinn, Azuki, Scattante (fixed)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
.............. I have no idea what HNS stands for......................

I'm stylin' now!

He Never Stands now that his shorts are sooooooo comfy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The women's version is SNS!
Old 05-11-07, 06:13 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dendawg
Yeah, now everyone is saying this and it is common knowledge.

Where were you when I needed you 24 hours ago?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-11-07, 06:14 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got three of the Champion jerseys/tops and really like them.

Don't know how they will hold up over time, but the reviews on the runners' forums report that they do well.
Old 05-11-07, 06:21 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Have you worn the gel shorts yet?
Put fifteen miles on 'em this afternoon, riding those dreaded .8 mile loops again around Kensington. Felt good!

Old 05-11-07, 06:26 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
If they work for you, that's all that matters. Most people seem to prefer a chamois without the gel.
Old 05-11-07, 06:47 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ditto - you won't believe how convenient they are - and cycling jerseys have a long tail to cover yours

Nasbar has some dynamite sales on now with free shipping.
Old 05-11-07, 06:51 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Fair warning. Never.....never.....never put those shorts through the drier.

Whatever drawbacks gel chamois have with regard to loosing track of their place in life is magnified ten fold in the heat of the drier. Hang them on a line somewhere.

Fortunately they dry real fast.

If your gel all curls up in a new location, you will be the first to let us know.

Danger.....danger Digital Gee (visual here of arms and antenii waving about)
Old 05-11-07, 08:56 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DG's review of his first use of padded shorts was a mite more positive than Terrierman's review.
Old 05-11-07, 09:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some how I'm having a hard time with the combo of 50+ and purchase of first pair of padded shorts. there have been many posts to that effect. I bought my first pair of padded shorts in 1984.
Old 05-11-07, 10:20 PM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oilman_15106
Some how I'm having a hard time with the combo of 50+ and purchase of first pair of padded shorts. there have been many posts to that effect. I bought my first pair of padded shorts in 1984.
Back in the 70s, when I did my "early" riding, bike manufacturers put reasonably decent leather saddles on all but their cheapest bikes. The stock saddle on my old Volkscycle was good for a half-century in blue jeans.

The reason so many of us reluctantly took up cycling shorts at relatively "old" ages, is the cheap, plastic, crap saddles that most manufacturers put on their bikes nowadays. I think somebody in the marketing dept. said, "If we make the saddles uncomfortable enough, people will have to buy $50 shorts just to be able to ride them. We'll make a fortune selling high-dollar shorts."
Old 05-11-07, 11:53 PM

Bikes: Klein Quantum, Summit Comp Pro TR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAsFat
Back in the 70s, when I did my "early" riding, bike manufacturers put reasonably decent leather saddles on all but their cheapest bikes. The stock saddle on my old Volkscycle was good for a half-century in blue jeans.

The reason so many of us reluctantly took up cycling shorts at relatively "old" ages, is the cheap, plastic, crap saddles that most manufacturers put on their bikes nowadays. I think somebody in the marketing dept. said, "If we make the saddles uncomfortable enough, people will have to buy $50 shorts just to be able to ride them. We'll make a fortune selling high-dollar shorts."
Au contraire, mon frere! When I took up riding again I wore my old wool Gitane shorts with real chamois. They didn't fit as well as they did back in high school for some reason, though I could probably wear them now. My point though, is that the reason I bought them way back in the early 70's (a decade I never found as cool as all the kids now seem to think it was) was because the Ideale leather saddle on my late lamented Claud Butler was only good for 10 miles or so without inflicting pain. Personally, I'll take Spandex any day over wool--much better moisture transfer.
Old 05-12-07, 12:20 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A word of warning here-Those Shorts will not be that comfy unless you take the phone and wallet out of the back pockets and put them in the rear pockets of your cycling tops. What colour were the tops by the way?

We have yet to see apic of you riding the bike- so Find a Friend- If you can- to give us an action shot of you riding past in your new cycling gear.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-12-07, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
be prepared to get heckled like I did last year...
Old 05-12-07, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, if you install a zipper across the middle rear pocket, you can ride with your wallet, cell, and keys securely stowed away.

This is all great fun, Gary! You're going to have the best summer of you life this year!

Originally Posted by dauphin
be prepared to get heckled like I did last year...
I had a funny experience when I started wearing lycra. I was riding along the South Bay bike path in Hermosa Beach on a Sunday afternoon in the early summer, and it was really packed. A bunch of high school girls were sitting on the side of the path with two large signs than they held up as cyclists passed. One said "Hot," the other one said "Not Hot." As I approached I was sure I was going to get the Not Hot sign...but no!!! They help up the Hot sign as I passed. That was 10 years ago, and I still get a buzz thinking about that!

Last edited by Big Paulie; 05-12-07 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-12-07, 11:06 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Also, if you install a zipper across the middle rear pocket, you can ride with your wallet, cell, and keys securely stowed away.

This is all great fun, Gary! You're going to have the best summer of you life this year!
I know...I can feel it!

My new shorts aren't the top of the line, but they work for me, at least, so far. And they fit. And I think they'll fit when Mr. Tummy gets a little smaller, too. I tried on a $20 pair that were pathetic.

The shorts also have two pockets, and I may start carrying my cell phone there instead back in the saddle bag. It takes too long to stop, dismount, unzip the saddle bag, and find the phone inside when it's ringing. And it's always one of my daughters calling. Sure, I can call 'em right back, but I'm thinking the side pocket on the shorts may be better.

Old 05-12-07, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for a jersey with the three-pocket back. They are so handy, I've started wearing them for running and dog walking in addition to cycling.
Old 05-12-07, 01:24 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's right -- I gave it up this afternoon. Bought me a $50 pair of Canari shock absorbing, saddle pressure relieving, pure comfort (says so right on the label!) men's black HNS gel baggy cycling shorts. I have no idea what HNS stands for.
Good job DG!
HNS = Hyper Nuts Sensitivity.
Looks like you got the top of the line.
Don't forget.....These require no underwear...
Old 05-12-07, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gary,
I found that same brand at Dick,s,$29,baggy style, with thin chamois.The gel shorts,to me, feel like your "holding a load" in the back.
They are opening a new Preformance Shop on Mayfied rd. in greater Cleveland this Tuesday.No more waiting for 3week delivery.
Anyone out there ever shop in one of their stores?Are there in-store specials?
Old 05-12-07, 02:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
DG......just keep in mind that you are the inheritor of the wisdom from those of us pioneers in cycling comfort who blazed trails in the past. I recall when we would stuff feminine napkins inside our poorly padded wool shorts. The longer the ride, the more napkins. Pretty soon we didn't talk about mileage, we talked about layers. As in, "Whoa, kicked some real butt on that 4 napkin ride" yesterday. Riders used them for tire boots, sweat bands, you name it.

OCP's of that day would dye them to match their jersey. A lot of guys with gnarly shaved legs were seen standing in the feminine products aisle at grocery stores sorting through their choices and were mistakenly labeled as "good husbands". Yeah, right. A lot of guys would be proud showing off or fluttering from a seat stay a signed, used napkin from one of the local cycling heroes. Damn, those were fine times. Just don't be surprized if he starts raggin' on you.

Anyway, if you want to go retro, you might try them out yourself sometime. And if you see some old guy like me riding a retro bike, wool jersey, etc....wish him a fast, 5 layer ride. Just don't be offended if he starts raggin' on you for having one of those "fake" pads.

Last edited by CrossChain; 05-12-07 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-12-07, 03:21 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Don't forget.....These require no underwear...
On a more serious note, some local freds do, in fact, wear boxers under their bike shorts. Often the colorful boxers sort of squirt out the top and bottom. Makes drivers a little more aware of you. In DG's case, he might try wearing his tighty-whities on the outside of his new bike shorts for a more hi-viz effect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.