Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I think I'm learning something about be a cyclist

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, you know, I had this gauntlet thrown down after my cardio visit last week and I thought cycling as I enjoyed it was finito. But it's just another challenge and I like a good, fair challenge. How do I go out and push myself without killing myself... literally? And I've been trying, I've really been trying. So, I set some limits. Do not exceed 166bpm. Try not to hit 166bpm in the first place. Try to maintain, within reason, a bpm under 140-145. Try climbing but slower. Set a snail's pace uphill -use granny, if I must- but keep it down. Focus on my breathing under load. Keep an even cadence. In all cases, let my gears do my work for me. You know... stuff like that that YOU guys all already know. And... it works. I've gone out 3 days in a row and I have not skipped my climbing. The highest I've gone is 164 three times. 166, never. In fact, I've gone over 160 only about 5 or 6 times. I am maintaining more like 145-155 but I still spend a LOT of time around 140-145 (or so). I have eased up and I still feel like I'm -no, I AM- getting a work out.
It's amazing... I've been making harder than it is. I actually picked out a mile long straight stretch of road here in town... all slightly downhill going south, all uphill going north. I went down, up, turned around, down, and up again. I road a couple of long sections twice.

Got passed once by a guy on a MTB -boy, he was working- and I let him go. I'm not pushing, I said to myself... aw, nuts... no way I can't catch him on my LeMond with out having to push. I mean, come on. So, I dropped a gear and went after him. He didn't even know what happened. He had no chance to catch me. Heartrate never got past 150. Competitive juices? Where did that come from?

And then, when I got home, UPS delivered my first pair of the best after-ride shoe there is. I got my first pair of Crocs. Thanks BluesDawg...

Got a new Pearl Izumi jersey, too... kinda snug but feels great... the Mrs likes it, too
Old 05-16-07, 10:40 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Your doctor helped you in more ways than he knows. You had to learn lessons instantly that might have taken months, or years. Learning quickly, you are.
What color are your Crocs?
Old 05-16-07, 10:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Black Caymans. I can't take 'em off... I love 'em.

Yes, Master Yoda, you're right, you know... "play within yourself" is a very important lesson.
Especially when failure to do so is potentially life-threathening. We hear all through life: "No pain, No gain" (and I'm not talking about injury pain, just workout pain). Feel the burn. And of course: "Push! Push!" Well, there's a time and a place for everything and that time is not "All the time".

The results of this little experiment should prove to be quite interesting.
Old 05-17-07, 05:58 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Outstanding! Another example of how mental all this stuff can be, isn't it?? Interesting, I once asked my doctor what he thought might be safe for me regarding heartrate. My doc told me that I might be able to sustain a heart rate of 140-45 for an hour or so. I didn't have it in me to tell him I was already averaging ABOVE 150 for 6-7 hours, and had even had averages of 180 for 20+ minutes. Go figure!

Another tip to throw into the already too numerous thoughts on riding/climbing. When the heart rate is way up there and you find yourself taking much faster, more shallow breaths than normal-conciously take longer, deeper inhales, hold very briefly and have controlled slightly slower releases. Fill up your lungs with the really good rich fuel!!!!

Keep up the great riding!!
Old 05-17-07, 06:37 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As Dirty Harry would say, "a man's got to know his limitations." The Serenity Prayer is, perhaps, also called for in cases like this It's a tough lesson to learn, and it humbles me to know I'm re-learning it every day.

Well done, SaiKaiTai. And btw, what's up with the crocs. Everyone seems to be wearing them. Why are they so comfy?
Old 05-17-07, 06:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, the HR is more an indicator of my BP. My heart is good, he's not worried about that but 166 on the recumbent got my BP above what he considered safe limits. My thinking is: keep the HR down, keep the BP down.

As for the breathing, to some degree that's what I've found, as well. I pick a foot and take a deep "belly breath" in one the upstroke, go once around, then blow it out on the downstroke, go around once around and repeat as needed. Usually until the "pipes" choke off and then I HAVE to stop for a minutes, minute and a half and I'm off again. Seems to be working.

The Crocs? Well, they just sort of cushion your feet. They're VERY light and spongy (but "firm" spongy) and they have these little nubs in 'em that just kind of message your soles. They breathe well.
Old 05-17-07, 08:24 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have a pair of crocs and have to agree with everyone that has them. They are the most comfortable footwear I have ever worn. But not for the bike for me. As a slip on they will fall off and with the strap in place- They allow too much heel movement.

Now if I could fix cleats to them------

Spike Milligan
Old 05-17-07, 08:48 AM
Happy Rider

Bikes: Gold Rush, Moots compact, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Got a new Pearl Izumi jersey, too... kinda snug but feels great... the Mrs likes it, too
Keep riding as much as you do, watch your diet just a very little, and that tight jersey is going to be too loose in about 6 wks.
Old 05-17-07, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've about worn out my first pair of crocs. They really are amazingly comfortable shoes aren't they? I was wearing them around a dog trial down in Texas earlier this year and young attractive female remarks about how "progressive" my shoes were. Whoda thunk it?
Old 05-17-07, 09:20 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
The Crocs? Well, they just sort of cushion your feet. They're VERY light and spongy (but "firm" spongy) and they have these little nubs in 'em that just kind of message your soles. They breathe well.
Maybe I need to give them another chance. Do you wears socks with them?

I tried a pair on earlier this year and I can honestly say the last thing those little nubs felt like was a massage on my soles

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-17-07, 10:13 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beverly

I tried a pair on earlier this year and I can honestly say the last thing those little nubs felt like was a massage on my soles
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Old 05-17-07, 10:15 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Maybe I need to give them another chance. Do you wears socks with them?

I wear Crocs with or without socks. At first the nubs felt funny, but now I don't even notice them. When I'm not at work or riding a bike, I'm either barefoot or wearing my Crocs.

The only thing I don't like about them is the way they smell when new. I had to scrub mine with soap and water to get rid of the sickly sweet smell, apparently from the foam material. Fortunately, the smell goes away and does not return.
Old 05-17-07, 10:16 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Had it been a good thing I would have them on right now

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-17-07, 10:29 AM
Ride Daddy Ride

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had it been a good thing I would have them on right now
I wouldn't mind a permanent foot massage. Maybe I'll have to try some.