Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wanted: The Most Comfortable 25mm tire.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm back again. Ruffy Tuffies won't work on my old steel criterium frame....not enough clearance between tires, brakes, brake bridge. Not a matter of width; it's a problem with "height" of tire. So, 25mm it is. Now, who's got the most comfortable, grippy, good rolling "perfect" 25mm tire out there-- realizing there still exists differences between posted width and what the tire really pumps up to be. Supreme puncture resistance is not my main concern. I like flotation and, at 165lbs, pump to 95 back, 90 front.
Old 05-19-07, 02:11 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Heavens knows. At 95 and 90 I should think any of the tyres would be Comfy. I get the feeling from MTB tyres that a thin sidewall will be able to flex abit more so offer cushioning and stay away from the Kevlar puncture belted tyres. They have a stiffer wall to accomodate the belt.

So 165- and moderate pressures- Whatever you want in the folding tyre line should do.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-19-07, 03:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride a lot of poorly surfaced roads because they take me out into interesting locations. I go faster and more smoothl over seams, sandy, chip/seal, etc. when I'm not bouncing around on hard tires. At 90 lbs pressure I avoid the hardest jolts and pinch flats and still get a bit of cushion.
Old 05-19-07, 04:05 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't vouch for any but Continental Gatorskins or Specialized Armadillios, both of which I think would work well for your purposes. Here's what Sheldon sells, and it seems like you'd have a number of good choices (I've heard good things about the Panaracers):

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/622.html#25
Old 05-19-07, 05:35 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm terribly pleased with my Continental Ultra Gatorskins.

Running at 100/110 F/R, I find them even more comfy than the Armadillo Infinitys on my hybrid. Very grippy and confidence-inspiring in the turns, and they roll along just nice too. Coupled with the puncture resistance, I'm not even considering a different tire for when these wear out.
Old 05-19-07, 07:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
I like flotation and, at 165lbs, pump to 95 back, 90 front.
I suspect you just want to point out you weight 165 lbs...

But seriously, 25MM Ultra Gatorskins are a really good tire in my opinion.
Old 05-19-07, 08:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I like flotation and, at 165lbs, pump to 95 back, 90 front.
Help this poseur out. What are you referring to by "floatation"?
Old 05-19-07, 08:28 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Floatation"-- my definition:

"Hard", highly inflated tires present the impression of being able to roll quickly and smoothly-- and they do on really good pavement. However, when they ride on rough, irregular surfaces they tend to bounce around and, as every ski racer will tell you, airborne time is slow down time. Also, they transmit all that vibration and bumping right through the frame to you. Somewhat "softer" tires conform a bit to the road, keep you in contact, give you more control with a somewhat bigger contact patch, don't slide so much on gravelly stuff, and absorb shock more. There comes a point where softness can lead to a pinch flat or a feeling of heavy, sluggish tires. In the middle is where I find "floatation"...the ability to adhere to the road and absorb bumps. I realize many riders prefer lotsa pressure, but for the poorly kept uk roads I often ride, which include some twisting descents, I find softer is more useful.
Old 05-19-07, 08:38 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I have Gatorskins on my Trek, but when they wear out I'm going with the Avocet. Thin sidewalls and comfy. I talked to a guy who rode them cross country and he loved them.
Old 05-19-07, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
25mm isn't much to work with--I don't think you'll have enough volume to make a big difference, or rather enough that you can lower the pressure to the point you'll feel it. Tire flex is largely a function of the pressure; the effect of sidewall stiffness is small by comparison. At your weight, though, I'd think you could go to 85 psi or so (hard for me to judge; I weigh 240 and run 35mm tires at 75 most of the time).
Old 05-19-07, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I have a new pair of 700X28c Panaracer Pasela tires that came on a wheelset I aquired recently. I've ridden them only about a mile so far, but can honestly say they felt great. They seem to fit the "floatation" requirment you speak of. I'm thinking of mounting them on my Open Pro rims to use on my everyday bike.

Granted, they are not racing tires but seem to be fairly light, grippy and responsive for a steel beaded, inexpensive tire. I'm thinking the 25c size would fit your needs. Of course, I also think Howdy Doody was a real kid.

https://www.panaracer.com/eng/products/index_ur.html#b
Old 05-19-07, 09:15 PM

I couldn't be happier with the Panaracers I just put on. I really don't feel much difference between the 28mm and the 32mm as far as speed, but the 32s give a ride like your on a cloud. To tell you the truth, I would probably use the Panaracers over the Avocet. I wasn't thinking again, I think I'll go to bed.
Old 05-19-07, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I think I'll go to bed.
Say goodnight George.
Old 05-19-07, 09:26 PM

Good night everybody.
Old 05-20-07, 12:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realize many riders prefer lotsa pressure, but for the poorly kept uk roads I often ride, which include some twisting descents, I find softer is more useful.
So you fly to the UK to ride your bike? I knew teachers made a mint...but this seems a little extravagant.