Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Chain cleaners

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Chain cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 03:26 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Do you have a new favorite LBS?
Old 05-24-07, 03:28 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Do you have a new favorite LBS?
I'm torn between two lovers, as the song goes...

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-24-07, 03:31 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Now about those chain cleaners. I own three. One is Pedro's Cleaner, in which I pour Simple Green. It's messy, a bear to use, and I've almost severed a finger on a few occasions trying to get it to work. It cleans the chain really well.

I also have one of those White Lightning Chain Cleaners, the type that you squirt cleaner into the chamber while you are using it. The tubing always comes loose and I've inadvertantly injected White Lightling Cleaner up my nose. I acted normal before this happened.

I have a Park Chain cleaner but I never use it.

My LBS'er tells me to clean the chains every now and then, then apply Dumonde Tech and allow to dry overnight. Between cleanings, he says to wipe the chain down with a cloth rag, or at most use a little soap and water but nothing stronger.

It seems to work OK.
Old 05-24-07, 03:31 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I'm torn between two lovers, as the song goes...
I can see why. The new guys are giving you remarkable service. Must have gotten the scoop that you're a big spender.
Old 05-24-07, 03:35 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jet Travis
I can see why. The new guys are giving you remarkable service. Must have gotten the scoop that you're a big spender.
Perhaps they heard me talking about shaving my legs...

Old 05-24-07, 03:37 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
My LBS'er tells me to clean the chains every now and then, then apply Dumonde Tech and allow to dry overnight.
I went to Chainring State College in Wheeling West Virginia. Every year we'd play Dumonde Tech in football. And every year, they'd hose us, wipe us up and hang us out to dry. The humiliation soaked right through to our roller pins.
Old 05-24-07, 03:43 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I went to Chainring State College in Wheeling West Virginia. Every year we'd play Dumonde Tech in football. And every year, they'd hose us, wipe us up and hang us out to dry. The humiliation soaked right through to our roller pins.
Old 05-24-07, 04:04 PM
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So while I'm there, I notice a few more Rooooooobaaaaaaaays on the sales floor. Uh oh! They've marked them on sale!!! I bought mine just two weeks ago!!!

The manager, when told of this situation, gave me a $125 (plus tax) refund (that's how much difference between my price and the sales price) on the spot. Now THAT made me feel really good!
This is the answer to your "How do I tell my LBS" post!
Old 05-24-07, 05:28 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ang1sgt
For me on my Clyde Bike I am using the SRAM Chain with the gold power link so I can take it off and clean it off the bike. I like the idea of that and most of the other Techs at the shop use em and love em. Knowing my luck, I'll bust it up or have some horid experience with it.

Chris
+1. YUP thats what I do. But my link is silver not gold. I wonder if that makes a difference .
Old 05-24-07, 05:35 PM
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
When I refurbish a bike I spray the chain with degrease soap and wash it off. I then remove the chain and soak it with WD40 equivalent. Several minutes wiping it down gets rid of most of the old grease and grit. I then repeat with a soaking of chain oil and wipe down. Once on the bike I put a light coat of chain oil, then wipe the surface dry a few minutes later. The results are amazing.
Old 05-24-07, 07:58 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
+1. YUP thats what I do. But my link is silver not gold. I wonder if that makes a difference .
Silver is for 5-8 speed. Gold is for 9 speed.
Old 05-24-07, 08:52 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I used the Park cleaner years ago. It worked, but always made a big mess on my rear wheel and tire. I just use ProLink lube and wipe off the excess. When a chain get really messy, like after a rainy day ride, I take it off and clean it in a soda bottle with Simple Green or similar degreaser. SRAM power links work well on Shimano chains, too. Just use a chain breaker to remove a link and replace it with the Power Link for tool free chain removal and reattachment.
What's a chain breaker (is that an actual tool or slang for something else?) and what's a Power Link? Is it possible my chain came with removable link or is that a really dumb question?

Old 05-24-07, 09:16 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

What's a chain breaker (is that an actual tool or slang for something else?) and what's a Power Link? Is it possible my chain came with removable link or is that a really dumb question?
More commonly called a chain tool. Used to push the roller pins out of a chain, allowing the links to be separated (broken).

SRAM makes a link that be installed and removed without tools and can be reused. They say it only works with their chains, but people use them on other chains all the time with good results. KMC and Wipperman also make similar links.
Old 05-24-07, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
You guys really don't know the pleasures of an always clean chain. Perfect shifting all the time, and the cleaning is easy. Mostly because it never gets dirty enough to be hard to clean. I AM APALLED at some of the posts I'm reading here. bk
Old 05-24-07, 09:28 PM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
You guys really don't know the pleasures of an always clean chain. Perfect shifting all the time, and the cleaning is easy. Mostly because it never gets dirty enough to be hard to clean. I AM APALLED at some of the posts I'm reading here. bk
poor you
Old 05-24-07, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Gary gets hives when he touches tools. In order to save the roubaix, we need to come up with a system that does not use any tools. I tried, but nobody was listening. bk
Old 05-24-07, 09:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I've inadvertantly injected White Lightling Cleaner up my nose. I acted normal before this happened.
Old 05-24-07, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I remember their cheer, it echoes through my bones like the screeching of a million fingernails on a thousand blackboards:

Scream like hell for Dumonde Tech
Kick 'em bite 'em wring their neck
We can't lose so what the heck
Put your bets on Dumonde Tech
Old 05-24-07, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
If you are looking for a cheap chain cleaner, Performance has a combo set, with chain cleaner, degreaser liquid, and a cog brush, all for just $14.99.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=37946754

Then if you use the BF 10% off coupon, it's only $13.49 for the whole thing, plus shipping.
Yes I did think also the $25 price for a chain cleaner device was real high. They all work about the same and I have not experienced the mess. Usually just hold a rag around the chain where it exits the cleaner device. They get off road dirt but there is nothing like a real good take off the chain, soak in appropriate cleaner method. Clean the cassette at the same time.
Old 05-24-07, 10:28 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've inadvertantly injected White Lightling Cleaner up my nose. I acted normal before this happened.
I'm not buying that it was "inadvertant."

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 05-24-07, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've tried the Spin Doctor chain cleaners from Performance, the Pedro's chain cleaner, and I'm on my second Finish Line chain cleaner. The Finish Line does the best job. I use Simple Green in the chain cleaner, and after cleaning the chain I do the rest of the bike with "gentle" detergent.
If you're going to take the chain off and put it on, it's better to get the SRAM link.
Old 05-24-07, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got one of those park tools cyclone chain cleaners...just be sure to really let the chain dry really good if you use a citrus degreaser on it. If you don't...the residual degreaser will eat the new lube when you apply it.
Old 05-25-07, 04:15 AM
Boomer

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
More commonly called a chain tool. Used to push the roller pins out of a chain, allowing the links to be separated (broken).

SRAM makes a link that be installed and removed without tools and can be reused. They say it only works with their chains, but people use them on other chains all the time with good results. KMC and Wipperman also make similar links.
The tool would be dangerous in gary's hands. The link might be ok with sufficient training and practice.

Gary you'll have to get SRAM chains so you can take this apart. There is a tool that makes it easier. Can you pick a hot dog off the grill with tongs? If so there is hope.
Old 05-25-07, 04:58 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
The tool would be dangerous in gary's hands. The link might be ok with sufficient training and practice.

Gary you'll have to get SRAM chains so you can take this apart. There is a tool that makes it easier. Can you pick a hot dog off the grill with tongs? If so there is hope.
Yeah, he asked the question, but the answer is probably more useful to others. If you buy a SRAM, Wipperman or KMC chain, it will come with a connector of this type. But someone will need to use a chain tool to get the original ShimaNO chain off if that is what is on your bike now.
The tool free links are great, but they can be a little tricky to use if you are not good with mechanical things.
Old 05-25-07, 05:50 AM
Boomer

The new Park link remover pliers work great. Squeeze chain with plyers, squeeze link plates in with other hand. Done.

And you don't get as dirty.

But your right, you still need a chain tool even to set the length on a new chain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.