Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Chain cleaners (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/301816-chain-cleaners.html)

The Weak Link 05-25-07 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Perfect shifting all the time, and the cleaning is easy.

Fish are a-jumpin'
And the cotton is high.
Your Lycra's tight
And your bike is full carbon,
So hush, little bk
Don't you cry.

BluesDawg 05-25-07 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
The new Park link remover pliers work great. Squeeze chain with plyers, squeeze link plates in with other hand. Done.

And you don't get as dirty.

But your right, you still need a chain tool even to set the length on a new chain.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about this tool. I'm going to get one. A tool for a tool-free job. What a concept. :rolleyes:
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2500-00'

Jet Travis 05-25-07 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about this tool. I'm going to get one. A tool for a tool-free job. What a concept. :rolleyes:
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='2500-00'

I'd consider buying one of these. Those wonderful Sram masterlinks can sometimes be a bear to undo.

Monoborracho 05-25-07 08:46 AM

Ah yes...a good reason to buy another tool.

HopedaleHills 05-25-07 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Fish are a-jumpin'
And the cotton is high.
Your Lycra's tight
And your bike is full carbon,
So hush, little bk
Don't you cry.

:roflmao: I got freakin tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard.

stonecrd 05-25-07 11:34 AM

I put a SRAM link on my shimano chain for easy on/off, however, I never take my chain off. :rolleyes: I wash the drive train along with the bike every couple of weeks or so. I use a brush and Finish Line Eco Tech degreaser spray and then lube with Finish Line Teflon Dry lube. I can certainly tell a big difference between a clean and dirty drive train, I love the day after a wash, silky smooth just like Jet's legs.:D

trackhub 05-25-07 02:02 PM

My chain cleaner consists of a 20 ounce Gatorade bottle (wide mouth screw cap), some Pedro's citrus degreaser, and an old spoke.

Remove the chain, and place it in the bottle with a few ounces of undiluted degreaser. Screw the cap on firmly, and shake away. Up and down, circular motion, etc.

Now the tricky part: using the spoke, fish the chain out of the bottle. It will probably ball up on you, but a few attempts should get it out. Rinse the chain thoroughly. This is best done outside, either in a can of clean water, or use the garden hose.

Yee-hah! A very clean chain indeed. If you have space, you can keep the bottle of degreaser for several more cleanings.

Credit: Sheldon Brown. It's on his site somewhere.

jazzy_cyclist 05-25-07 02:15 PM

I've been using the Park Tools cleaner, but I recently put on a Wipperman chain with the connex links. I'm looking forward to seeing how the "take it off to clean it" thing works. The Park Tool cleaner works pretty well, but I agree it's messy.

tsl 05-25-07 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
For anyone with a removable link chain, here is a free chain cleaner.
1. Remove chain from bike.
2. Place in clean plastic soda bottle. (24 oz pepsi bottle is good size)
3. Insert cleaning solution of choice. (simple green or citrus cleaner diluted with water)
4. Shake hard. (I hope you still have the cap to the bottle)
5. Pour dirty cleaner out.
6. If step 5 still dirty then repeat.
7. Cut bottle open to remove chain
8. Rinse clean with water
9. Dry overnight
10 Reinstall and relube.

+1, with a modification.

If you substitute a plastic jar—like a large mayo, peanut butter or Ragú jar—for the plastic bottle, you can completely skip step 7 and can reuse the jar too.

I use the 45 oz (2lb 13oz) size Ragú jar. It has nice grips molded in the side which makes shaking it safer and easier. It's just the right size to use with a mixture of ¼ cup of Simple Green automotive degreaser and 2¼ cups of water.

Actually, I think for Campy chains you have to use a Ragú jar...

bkaapcke 05-25-07 05:49 PM

Clean it more often and you won't have to take it off the bike. Brake Kleen, a shop towel and pipe cleaners. It couldn't be any easier. bk

Digital Gee 05-25-07 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Clean it more often and you won't have to take it off the bike. Brake Kleen, a shop towel and pipe cleaners. It couldn't be any easier. bk

I'm going to try this method first. It appeals to my non-mechanical reptilian brain. Where do I get Brake Kleen -- at an auto parts store?

bkaapcke 05-25-07 07:47 PM

Most auto parts stores will have it. Use Brake Kleen instead of carb cleaner because it won't damage your paint. Carb cleaner will toast your paint in no time. Ream 'n' Clean pipe cleaners have a raspy wire in the middle that really does the job. Fold them in half to do a chain. Get them at tobacco stores and some wal marts have them. BTW, it will take 3-4 cleanings to get all that sticky crap that comes on a new chain off it. bk

bkaapcke 05-27-07 03:55 PM

The key to 'on bike' chain cleaning is to do it enough that the chain never gets really groady. I do it after every ride, and it only takes 10-15 minutes for a 9 1/2 foot recumbent chain. This is overkill for most riders, who can get by on once a week. bk