Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What a Difference a ......Tire Makes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thought I'd share this point on tires. I have been riding on Continental Ultra 2000's for about three years. I had been riding on Conti GP3000's but I got a great deal on a bunch of the Ultra's. They have finally all worn out and I put on a new set of Michelin Pro Race tires (same size as the Ultra's) and I could not believe how much nicer my ride was. Mind you this is a very noticable ride improvement on a Ti bike with wheels built with Carbon&Kevlar spokes. I was actually astounded. I have no idea at this point how they will wear (the Ultra's lasted a long time), but even if they are short lived it might just be worth the trade off!
Old 05-24-07, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to know, I'm not surprised though. I've not used Contis., they have a rep.for durability, most say that Vics. ride nicer.Vics. DO ride really well. Reviews on the Michelins are quite positive. Interesting that you're able to feel the difference. I tend to change tires while NOT in the midst of a riding season. I don't feel the difference all that much. Perhaps I'll notice it more with new Vics. that I have on order. I'd consider using your's on a rig.
Old 05-24-07, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been riding the Michelin's exclusively for a couple of years now and I love them! They wear well, I dont seem to get an unusual number of flats, and I am convinced they roll easier. I bought the first set because I had read some statistics on rolling resistance and the Michelin's were the best of the lot.
Old 05-24-07, 11:32 PM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
okay, so since the time when I moved from tubulars to mostly riding clinchers, I've been hesitant to spend for the more topline clinchers. Not sure why... actually I did try, back some 10 yrs, and was mostly disappointed by unremarkable diff. between all the clinchers I tried.
so the Q I want to ask, to someone who has also experienced the range of tubulars, from cheapie cotton 'training' to top line Silks
Is the difference in the range of clinchers, from bottom end to top, the same as what we used to experience between the lower end sewups and the silks?
Are those Michelins as awesomely better than just your avg performance clincher?
I'm tempted to start spending the dosh on a better tire, but really need good references for tire suggestions, like yours, this one.
I just can't seem to give much credibility to tire threads in Road Forum, cause, really, a 25+ yr old really doesn't have the experience to know what a real good tire should feel like.
know what I mean?
Old 05-25-07, 02:31 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
okay, so since the time when I moved from tubulars to mostly riding clinchers, I've been hesitant to spend for the more topline clinchers. Not sure why... actually I did try, back some 10 yrs, and was mostly disappointed by unremarkable diff. between all the clinchers I tried.
so the Q I want to ask, to someone who has also experienced the range of tubulars, from cheapie cotton 'training' to top line Silks
Is the difference in the range of clinchers, from bottom end to top, the same as what we used to experience between the lower end sewups and the silks?
Are those Michelins as awesomely better than just your avg performance clincher?
I'm tempted to start spending the dosh on a better tire, but really need good references for tire suggestions, like yours, this one.
I just can't seem to give much credibility to tire threads in Road Forum, cause, really, a 25+ yr old really doesn't have the experience to know what a real good tire should feel like.
know what I mean?
I've got the experience, albeit long in the past, with silks in comparison to cotton tubulars, but I don't have the same experience with top grade clinchers. The fastest clincher I bought is Maxxis hors categorie with no tread.
What I can say with confidence is that the cotton tubular I use on my rear wheel (mostly for hilly rides) is still in a different league than the best clinchers I've used. I am planning to build up a front tubular to complete the set.
Old 05-25-07, 05:27 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My buddy just a got set of the new Conti GP 4000 S. Very nice tire and is suppose to have better durability. At $42ea on PBK it is not a steal, I think I will see how his mileage is. I ride the GP 4000 and I am very happy with them as I get about 2500-3000 miles on the rear, $32ea.

2013 Noah RS
Old 05-25-07, 08:02 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
Thought I'd share this point on tires. I have been riding on Continental Ultra 2000's for about three years. I had been riding on Conti GP3000's but I got a great deal on a bunch of the Ultra's. They have finally all worn out and I put on a new set of Michelin Pro Race tires (same size as the Ultra's) and I could not believe how much nicer my ride was. Mind you this is a very noticable ride improvement on a Ti bike with wheels built with Carbon&Kevlar spokes. I was actually astounded. I have no idea at this point how they will wear (the Ultra's lasted a long time), but even if they are short lived it might just be worth the trade off!
I did exactly the same thing about a month ago, I was riding Continental also for years. I told my husband it felt like the ride was more bouncy, that is the only way I could describe it. It does make for a much more comfortable ride. Now I just have to make sure if I get a flat that I can get the tire back on the rim, it might be a struggle but I think I can do it (finger's crossed).
Old 05-25-07, 08:14 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have 700Cx28 Continental Ultra-2000s, which are only about 25mm wide, on the Bianchi. I want to try something else next time because they are such a bear to remove and install on my Campagnolo Omega rims. I put a 27x1-1/4" Vittoria on the front of the UO-8, and I like it well enough to consider Vittorias all around.

If you want a really durable tire, try a Specialized Turbo "with Armadillo Technology." I have had a set of 700Cx28s on the Capo for over 7 years (these are REAL 28mm tires, too wide for the Bianchi), and I am ready to replace them simply out of concern over age-related rot, although they still look good.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-25-07, 10:10 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Tyres are not that expensive in relation to wheels but they can make a world of difference to a ride. I went from the OM tyres straight to pro race2's in 23 and they added 3 mph to my average speed-and I do not know if it was the tyres or the new wheels- but I strongly blame it on the wheels- but the ride was comfortable.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-25-07, 10:47 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1.

I tried Conti 3000's a few years back, and they felt sluggish and slow to me.

I've been on Michelin Pro Race tires for years now, and love 'em. They're not a long-lasting, bulletproof tire, but they are bloody fast, and their ability to hold a line inspires a lot of confidence when ripping down hill at speed.

Last edited by SSP; 05-25-07 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-25-07, 11:21 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
so, the michelin ProRace 2s are $55 ea, about what I normally pay for >4< tahrs... (on sale)

so the other Q I have, relating to me running my tires at about 95-100 lbs front and 105-110 rear, is
how much difference of perception on these 'better' tires might be accountable to higher inflation pressures, like 120 lbs and above? rather than actual tahr construction diffs.?
I mean, 110 lbs on the rear almost feels harsh to my scrawny butt. I really haven't ridden much at 120+ lbs to say it makes a diff. - does it?
how about those in-betweeners, like the Michelin Krylion Carbon Roads? is there a positive bene to these (other than more money into Michelin coffers)? Or is it not worth the diff?
It be great to hear from all you longer term roadies who have spent the dosh to use the top and medium level stuff, like RockyMtnMerlin...
Old 05-25-07, 11:30 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Shop around and you can find cheaper

https://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1123

As to the other tyres mentioned- perhaps someone could enlighten me also. All I know is my LBS recommended the Pro race 2's and I bought them- At a lot more than Probike are selling them at.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-25-07, 02:10 PM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my ProRace 2's, got replacement at ProBikeKit as Stapfam mentioned. Plus they come in colors! My bike went from ho hum to o la la just because of my new tires!

Clearly, I have my priorities straight. I bought the same tires in yellow for my wife's bike, though they are not on yet.
Old 05-25-07, 02:16 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby c
I love my ProRace 2's, got replacement at ProBikeKit as Stapfam mentioned. Plus they come in colors! My bike went from ho hum to o la la just because of my new tires!

Clearly, I have my priorities straight. I bought the same tires in yellow for my wife's bike, though they are not on yet.
Beautiful! And I can't help but notice the elegant and beautiful bottle cages as well.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-25-07, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. I bought the Michelin Pro Race II for a little bling, but they've performed well for me.

My wife got some GP 4000's and they seem quite nice as well.
Old 05-25-07, 02:40 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
... so the other Q I have, relating to me running my tires at about 95-100 lbs front and 105-110 rear, is how much difference of perception on these 'better' tires might be accountable to higher inflation pressures, like 120 lbs and above? rather than actual tahr construction diffs.?
I mean, 110 lbs on the rear almost feels harsh to my scrawny butt. I really haven't ridden much at 120+ lbs to say it makes a diff. - does it?
how about those in-betweeners, like the Michelin Krylion Carbon Roads? is there a positive bene to these (other than more money into Michelin coffers)? Or is it not worth the diff? ...
Sheldon has a great article on tire pressure. I weigh around 150lbs and normally run about 90-95 PSI front and 100-105 rear, which is pretty close to your practice. I have run higher pressures in the past, but I now prefer a bit more traction and a bit less skittishness over the bumps.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-25-07, 03:57 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is that a 2006 TCR C3 composite? It looks a lot like the bike I test rode the other day. I liked the blue/black colors.
Old 05-25-07, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez - I'm getting old. I got 4 of the Michelins for $26 each but did so last fall and now can't remember where. And for those of you who know and appreciate Sheldon Brown andhis work, he has been diagnosed as having MS. You can go to his personal website and read his journal about the lengthy process of the diagnosis. He has a great attitude about it though.
Old 05-25-07, 06:26 PM
Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It appears that most of the comments about the Pro 2 Race are for the 23 width.

What is the verdict for Pro 2 Race in 700x25? I still have reservations about taking the leap from 32 width of my hybrid bike ... to roadie tires ... so decided to cut my teeth on the pro 2 race in the 25 width first. Same kudos for the Pro 2 Race 25 width as its skinnier 23 width?
Old 05-25-07, 06:28 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
The Continental GP 4000's are my tire of choice for now. Just waiting for the 3000's to wear out.

Tire pressure. I suppose it's just what yout get used to, isn't it? I run 130 in the rear and 120 on the front.
Old 05-25-07, 06:53 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My new Michelin's just got here from England yesterday and I put them on after my ride today. I have only been a couple of blocks on them, but they feel good. My wife said the yellow is a bit much, but I think it makes the old steed look good. I got them from probikekit.com for $56 for both with free shipping. They had them in blue, black and yellow. I think the yellow ones are probably the fastest.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
Litespeednewtyres.bmp (37.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 05-26-07, 04:39 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by RoMad
My new Michelin's just got here from England yesterday and I put them on after my ride today. I have only been a couple of blocks on them, but they feel good. My wife said the yellow is a bit much, but I think it makes the old steed look good. I got them from probikekit.com for $56 for both with free shipping. They had them in blue, black and yellow. I think the yellow ones are probably the fastest.
Looks great!! Now all you need is a yellow saddle and some yellow handle bar tape!!
Old 05-26-07, 06:36 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Pity you missed out on the Multicolour tyres- You have to ride fast with those. They are definitely the fastest but depend on the Colour of the leotard and the length of the hair chasing you as to how fast you have to ride.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 05-26-07 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-26-07, 06:51 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Do you have a smaller picture? I could almost see that one.
Old 05-26-07, 10:15 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Is that a 2006 TCR C3 composite? It looks a lot like the bike I test rode the other day. I liked the blue/black colors.
It's a 2005 TCR Comp 2.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.