Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another Milestone!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another Milestone!

Old 05-26-07, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Milestone!

Two weeks ago, I rode my age for the first time...56 miles. Today, I did my first metric century! Had planned on doing it last weekend, but the weather wouldn't cooperate. Next up...75 miles...
I want to save my first century for my Pan Mass Challenge ride. So until then, I won't go higher than 90 miles.
Old 05-26-07, 03:31 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Riding your age at your time of life is no mean achievement- as many of your friends have probably already told you. Just going that little bit further makes a difference though as you found out. Well done.

I presume the Pan Mass challenge is around 100 miles and will take in a few hills. It is not the distance that will get you- It will be the hills. Rather than going out for getting the distance up- I would find some hills. They give you a far better workout and build stamina and Muscle than pedalling for distance.50 miles on hills will put you into condition quicker than many rides of 90 on the flat.

I have in previous years done a 12 hour ride that is hilly. I ride on the same hills as this event but just the last 25 miles or so where the 3 steepest hills are. For training we do those last 3 hills, but with two teeth more on the granny ring. It Hurts but not half as much as after you have already done 75 miles- so on the event where we drop back to a 24t granny- we sail up them. Not really, unless you can call 4 mph sailing, but after previously struggling up the hills in too high a gear- it does feel easier.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-27-07, 06:25 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input.
I made it a point to include some hills in the route I take. As the PMC approaches, I will be putting in more and longer hills.
The first day of the PMC is 110 miles, the first 40 being quite hilly, then the second day is 82 miles, mostly flat, but will a few hills at the end.
Old 05-27-07, 07:10 AM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My hats off to you gf13, I did a 100 mile may 19 and a 63 mile may 23, and my knees still hurt and my legs still cramp. I can't imagine 2 days in a row the distances you mention. Even with us being older, I don't see how cyclists do it. (even with drugs).
Rest up before the event!!!!
Old 05-27-07, 07:27 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! You should be in great shape for the century.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 05-27-07, 07:31 AM
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Riding your age at your time of life is no mean achievement- as many of your friends have probably already told you. Just going that little bit further makes a difference though as you found out. Well done.

I presume the Pan Mass challenge is around 100 miles and will take in a few hills. It is not the distance that will get you- It will be the hills. Rather than going out for getting the distance up- I would find some hills. They give you a far better workout and build stamina and Muscle than pedalling for distance.50 miles on hills will put you into condition quicker than many rides of 90 on the flat.

I have in previous years done a 12 hour ride that is hilly. I ride on the same hills as this event but just the last 25 miles or so where the 3 steepest hills are. For training we do those last 3 hills, but with two teeth more on the granny ring. It Hurts but not half as much as after you have already done 75 miles- so on the event where we drop back to a 24t granny- we sail up them. Not really, unless you can call 4 mph sailing, but after previously struggling up the hills in too high a gear- it does feel easier.
+1 on working on hills instead of just racking up saddle time on the flats. Hills, IMO, were not one of God's better ideas (women and beer, especially when combined, were much better).
Old 05-27-07, 08:18 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by NotAsFat
+1 on working on hills instead of just racking up saddle time on the flats. Hills, IMO, were not one of God's better ideas (women and beer, especially when combined, were much better).

Actually, it is not the hills, it is the UPhills. I don't mind the downhills a bit. God screwed up when he allowed uphills. He should have allowed only downhills.

Originally Posted by geofitz13
Two weeks ago, I rode my age for the first time...56 miles. Today, I did my first metric century! Had planned on doing it last weekend, but the weather wouldn't cooperate. Next up...75 miles...
I want to save my first century for my Pan Mass Challenge ride. So until then, I won't go higher than 90 miles

Great stuff. Congrats. When I was a young'un of 58, I did the Ride the Rockies with similar mileages. Have fun on the Pan Mass.