Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perfume in the air

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Perfume in the air

Old 06-04-07, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perfume in the air

Honeysuckle starting to blossom on a morning ride. So much better than roadkill roasting in the afternoon
Old 06-04-07, 10:49 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How true!
I love the flower scents on a good ride.
Except this time of year, the smell of food grilling outdoors on an after work ride can drive me insane! Maybe I should eat first.
Old 06-05-07, 05:39 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Excellent observation! On a ride in the mountains a couple weeks ago I noticed the same thing. Unfortunately we're past the blooming season here and deep into roadkill season!

Oppossum season is in full bloom here. Last night I spotted 4 roadkill in all stages of decomposition on my short 20 miler.....and they did not smell like honeysuckle!!!
Old 06-05-07, 05:46 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed it on a couple rides recently and love the smell.

Unfortunately some of it can be very invasive. There are volunteer events each year to clear it along many of the park trails and paths.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-05-07, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last night I found out the only bad thing about a 100% tailwind. You smell dead armadillos longer. I must have passed 20 of them on my 30 mile ride.
Old 06-05-07, 06:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dead deer have made me change a favorite route for a couple weeks
Old 06-05-07, 06:44 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by further
Dead deer have made me change a favorite route for a couple weeks
Skunks are the ones I dread seeing along the road. You can smell those things for weeks

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-05-07, 06:51 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Last night I found out the only bad thing about a 100% tailwind. You smell dead armadillos longer. I must have passed 20 of them on my 30 mile ride.
Last week during a MTB ride, I actually saw a live armadillo. I had never seen one with the legs down before.
Old 06-05-07, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lilacs, honeysuckle, and wild roses are three of the most wonderful things about riding in May and June. When I try to explain to my kids why I like riding so much, this is in the top ten.
Old 06-05-07, 07:37 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
<<I must have passed 20 of them on my 30 mile ride.>>

I've often wondered why there are so many dead animals on US roads. Is it because some drivers take pleasure in killing small animals?
Old 06-05-07, 07:45 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Skunks are the ones I dread seeing along the road. You can smell those things for weeks

ewe de skunke..
Old 06-05-07, 07:57 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
I've often wondered why there are so many dead animals on US roads. Is it because some drivers take pleasure in killing small animals?
I think it's just the same distracted drivers that we cyclists have to watch so closely. They run over whatever is in the road, and see nothing before they hit it.
Old 06-05-07, 08:52 AM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtmoI've often wondered why there are so many dead animals on US roads. Is it because some drivers take pleasure in killing small animals?

Originally Posted by Bud Bent
I think it's just the same distracted drivers that we cyclists have to watch so closely. They run over whatever is in the road, and see nothing before they hit it.
I find they dart out into the road so quickly you often don't have time to avoid them

There is one stretch of road near my home that has woods on each side for about a half mile and deer are always crossing in this area. I've had a couple close calls even though I keep an eye out for them. I tried blowing my horn to give them warning but this just seems to bring all of them out of the woods

-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-05-07, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a nice freshly dead raccoon on the highway when I started out on Saturday. Couldn't get a picture though I wanted to... I didn't notice any smell. There was the scent of wild mustard and various other natives and grasses in the air, though.
Old 06-05-07, 09:40 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Honeysuckle is thick around here also. So much so that it almost chokes you going by some spots! The title of the thread reminded me of when I took a young lady for a motorcycle ride years ago. She had a purse on her shoulder, and didn't notice it was hitting the spokes of the rear wheel-luckily it didn't snag it and sling her off! Anyway, it broke a bottle of perfume she had in it--a rider behind me remarked that he couldn't figure where the smell was coming from!
Old 06-05-07, 10:12 AM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 4,609 Times in 2,115 Posts
Originally Posted by further
Honeysuckle starting to blossom on a morning ride.
Darn, I thought this thread was going to be about riding with comely lasses.

Seriously, I attended the Horsey Hundred in Kentucky a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with the number of young fit women on the ride. And they smelled better than a lot of the guys that I normally ride with, too.

Old 06-05-07, 10:16 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
I would much rather they run over animals than steer around them and into me.
Old 06-05-07, 10:43 AM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The smell in my air is usually cow manure the farmers spread on their fields. It is most poignant when they are actually spreading it. Always refer to it as "fresh country air".
Old 06-05-07, 12:48 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
If you really want to smell the countryside- Get out before the sun and before the cars have polluted.

Couple of years ago- Or it may have been last year- there was one section of road that has the poignant smell of Something dead for about 2 months. Turned out to be a Dead Human that had just crawled to the side of the road and fell into a ditch. The death was put down to natural causes.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-05-07, 01:12 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
If you really want to smell the countryside- Get out before the sun and before the cars have polluted.

Couple of years ago- Or it may have been last year- there was one section of road that has the poignant smell of Something dead for about 2 months. Turned out to be a Dead Human that had just crawled to the side of the road and fell into a ditch. The death was put down to natural causes.
I thought I could predict your responses, but still you remain a mystery...

I was pretty sure you were going to post a picture of chocolate gateaux and coffee as the ultimate aroma one can smell during a ride, and I wasn't going to disagree with you.
Old 06-05-07, 02:50 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I thought I could predict your responses, but still you remain a mystery...

I was pretty sure you were going to post a picture of chocolate gateaux and coffee as the ultimate aroma one can smell during a ride, and I wasn't going to disagree with you.
Problem is that I do not get to the Cafe for coffee and Cake till about 11am. By that time my sense of smell has been deadened with the Aroma of carbon monoxide and The slurry pits from the numerous farms en route.

Now next week I go to France and I am afraid that I won't be smelling much of the country odours either. The Cote Du Rhone has to be savoured and I have just found out that there are several vineyards in the area that do Sampling and a couple of distileries are not too far away either. Just hope that the bike knows how to steer a straight line- Because I know I won't be able to. Just as long as there is not a local "Garlic" Sausage that has to be savoured as That would be bliss- Garlic sausage, french bread and a good bottle of the Local Plonk. After the sausage -It will be me that is smelling, but I won't care as long as the Plonk is in enough quantity.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-05-07, 03:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I swear I could smell fresh brewed coffee in the distance, but as I got closer, dead skunk in the middle of the trail. Yikes. Lost my interest for coffee that whole day. I was wistling that song, "Dead Skunk In The Middle of The Road" as I sped away. Weeks gone by before I rode that trail again last year. Anyone ever experienced that before?
Old 06-05-07, 06:38 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The flowers around here are starting to go crazy. I love the honeysuckle also. We have tons of grapes growing around here, both for wine and grape juice. In the late summer, early fall when the grapes are ripening, it smells like a giant glass of Grape Juice. Love that smell.
Old 06-05-07, 07:29 PM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrafl
I swear I could smell fresh brewed coffee in the distance, but as I got closer, dead skunk in the middle of the trail. Yikes. Lost my interest for coffee that whole day. I was wistling that song, "Dead Skunk In The Middle of The Road" as I sped away. Weeks gone by before I rode that trail again last year. Anyone ever experienced that before?
Yep! We had a dead skunk on one of the roads we travel on the Sunday breakfast ride. For a couple weeks we avoided that road so we could enjoy breakfast

-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-05-07, 08:17 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought this thread was about riding next to The Weak Link.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.