Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toronto

I'm in Toronto for the Luminato Festival. The first time in Toronto, and it's my new favorite city.
Toronto is a bikers city. The terrain is flat so that helps, I guess, but the number of bicycle commuters is enormous. Every street has specially designed bicycle locking posts all along the sidewalks and almost every one of them has one or two bikes locked to it. The tall office towers all have full bike racks at their base. Bikers are on the streets all night.

If you have never been to this city you don't know what you are missing.
Old 06-08-07, 07:10 AM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great info, Blackie! I recently met a biker from Ottawa who was telling me about that city! I forget how many miles of MUP they had and really encourage biking for health, exercise and traffic reasons, etc. I told him that all those neat places to bike up there gives me an excuse to go up to visit a sister I have living there! HA! Maybe I could hit Toronto on the way up there.
Lets see, ride all the Ontario areas for a couple weeks and visit my sister for a day or so.....Heh!
Old 06-08-07, 07:17 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your visit. Bicycle is my favourite way to get around this city, and there are some nice recreational rides in the valleys and along the waterfront. If you go to Montreal you will find an even better cycling city, with bike lanes that have curbs to separate them from traffic.
Old 06-08-07, 08:17 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you enjoyed your stay with us...yes, its quite the biking city. I'm a year 'round bike commuter...about 50km/day and look forward to each ride...with so many bike paths and bike-friendly sttreets I can plan dozens of routes to get to the office.

https://www.toronto.ca/cycling/bikepl.../chapter05.pdf

We also have an extensive MTB network through the Don Valley, in the centre of town

https://www.dgp.utoronto.ca/~jtalbot/...ikeMount1.html

Love those bike posts

Old 06-08-07, 08:45 AM
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobkat
Lets see, ride all the Ontario areas for a couple weeks and visit my sister for a day or so.....Heh!
I'll look foward to seeing you at some of these

https://www.muskokatrails.com/

https://www.travelistic.com/video/sho...ountain-Resort