Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Clipless pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 12:54 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Clipless pedals.

They are going to start a study, or are talking about starting one, on the position of the clips on your shoes. I was wondering if any of you have moved yours around to see if you can get more power out of having the clips under the ball of your foot, or all the way back as far as they would go. I had my back as far as they would go and they do feel good, but I just moved them to center just to try it out. I have better knee over pedal with the clips in the mid section closer to the ball of the foot and now my knee cap looks like it will be even with the end of the crank arm. I played with the handlebars and saddle and I'm pretty sure I'm where I have to be, but I thought if I could get a little more power to the crank it would help a lot as well. Thanks for any replys.
Old 06-08-07, 12:59 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
That study was posted here, I believe.

I moved the cleats all the way back on my shoes. It required me to move my seat down about 1 cm.

Has it made a difference? Not that I can tell, but I'm used to it and it didn't seem to have any downside (my knees ache after riding sometimes but I don't think the pedal position is a big factor) and so I'll leave it the way it is.

Until someone very knowledgeable posts that it's a dumb idea, at whcih time I'll slide the cleats foward again.
Old 06-08-07, 01:46 PM

I remember that thread, but I thought I was the only one that said anything about moving them all the back, and I know that works. I guess I should just put them back where they were. Thanks anyhow.
Old 06-08-07, 05:12 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Yeah, there was a thread regarding that not too long ago. I'm riding platforms now, but when I was trying the clipless, had to put them as far back as they would go. Otherwise, felt like my knees were trying to fold under me. Could probably use a 175mm crank arm (170's on the Reno now). I know I put 175's on my mtn.bike & it felt lots better. But with my cleats set at the widest part of my foot (which is where an article I read said they should be), it was very uncomfortable and unnatural feeling. Doesn't really matter much, though, think I'm just meant to be a platform person (haven't ruled clipless totally out yet though).
Old 06-08-07, 06:18 PM

Since I posted the thread, I looked it up, and they are saying if you have knee problems it's better to have them all the way back. I moved mine back again. I just needed something to do and felt like writing.
Old 06-08-07, 07:10 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
Since I posted the thread, I looked it up, and they are saying if you have knee problems it's better to have them all the way back. I moved mine back again. I just needed something to do and felt like writing.
George, you make me smile.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-08-07, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The main thing I noticed about adjusting the clips was to set mine for toe out. Much more comfortable for me than straight in line. But it sure gets my right shoe black on the inside. Does that make me fredly?
Old 06-08-07, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Terrierman
The main thing I noticed about adjusting the clips was to set mine for toe out. Much more comfortable for me than straight in line. But it sure gets my right shoe black on the inside. Does that make me fredly?

No, comfortible!