Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Enough!! We Need A <50+ Admission Test

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Enough!! We Need A <50+ Admission Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-07, 09:54 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
To this day, my wife is nervous about certain kinds of shower stall/curtain situations. She is also not too fond of flocks of birds.
Old 06-21-07, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by overthehillmedi
Something for the Canucks that pop into this forum. Listening to Foster Hewitt(sp) doing the play by play Saturday night on Hockey Night In Canada. Hearing Sputnik on the big old radio at school as it passed overhead in space. Being peeved that something called the World Series meant that the hockey game wasn't on and it was your team playing.Thinking it is great now the CBC is broadcasting in colour,now if the parents would only get a colour T.V. Being called into the auditorium unexpectantly in the middle of the day for an important announcement and being told that JFK was shot in Dallas and was dead.Watching Henderson's Goal on the school T.V. It was the only way to keep us in school.OOOHHHH, the good old days!
...and the Stanley Cup use to reside in Canada.
Old 06-21-07, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lucky Strike/Means Fine Tobacco
Old 06-21-07, 11:14 AM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pobble.808
What does the term "English Racer" refer to? (Hint: not a person)
Man, I put many a mile on my inherited 3 speed English Race. Passed down from my brother, I loved that bike.
Old 06-21-07, 11:15 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about when you called someone, it always went through a live operator?
Old 06-21-07, 11:17 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby c
How about when you called someone, it always went through a live operator?
And we had a code to call home to let them know we'd arrived somewhere safely. Make a "person to person" long distance call to a phony name. When whoever answered said, "He's not here," the call would end, but we would know that they would know that we'd made it safe to our destination. Free!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-21-07, 11:32 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
And we had a code to call home to let them know we'd arrived somewhere safely. Make a "person to person" long distance call to a phony name. When whoever answered said, "He's not here," the call would end, but we would know that they would know that we'd made it safe to our destination. Free!
Yep - and phone calls weren't cheap. I remember if we had to call the next town over it was a big deal - long distance. 15 miles away and a couple of bucks in no time....
Old 06-21-07, 11:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep - and phone calls weren't cheap. I remember if we had to call the next town over it was a big deal - long distance. 15 miles away and a couple of bucks in no time....
And significat (at the time) extra charges for more than one phone......extension phone. Phones were "hardwired" to a C block........"High Tech" to change the C block to the 4 pin plug/jack to enbale moving the phone to where ever you had a jack/socket. The cordless phone was significant progress...
Old 06-21-07, 12:09 PM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Admit it Thrifty, you always wanted a pink Princess phone....
Old 06-21-07, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Admit it Thrifty, you always wanted a pink Princess phone....
My daughter still has her pink (rotary/dial) princess phone.....don't know if it still works!!!
Old 06-21-07, 07:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa, hey! I just got a lengthy phone message from Webb Diego. He's in jail in Tijuana, on what he claims are trumped up charges of pimping and pandering. I guess they have DSL in the can, even in Mexico!

"That's the way it is with your types, isn't it DeeGee? Always looking for the free ride, the no-calorie Chimmy Chinga, the hit of "weed" that gives you the high you so desparately need, without the stretch of time in prison you deserve for using and selling illicit drugs. Oh sure, the phone company is a gigantic monolith, and your little "I'm home, safe and sound" call-back scheme won't make a bit of difference to their bottom line, Well, let me tell you something, Mister. The phone company's bottom line is Uncle Sam's bottom line. And yours too, if you took the time to research the facts. Whenever some joker makes a phony collect call back to mommy and daddy to let them know he's "OK," it takes just a little bit out of the profits the phone company has rightfully earned. And that loss shows up on the books. And when it comes tax time, that's just one dollar less the good ole' U. S. of A. has to spend on national defense and law enforcement. And if you took the trouble to count up all those dollars from all those fake phone calls, it would add up to a boat load of lost security, Buddy Boy. So the next time you get all nostalgic about the money you bilked out of the phone company, the government, and yeah, the Good Lord above, try doing it without that monkey-shine grin that's plastered on your kisser. It doesn't become you, or the millions of criminals who run free because of your selfish, short-sighted, cheap-skate ways."

Last edited by Big Paulie; 06-22-07 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-21-07, 07:49 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
Whoa, hey! I just got a lengthy phone message from Webb Diego. He's in jail in Tijuana, on what he claims are trumped up charges of pimping and pandering. I guess they have DSL in the can, even in Mexico!

"That's the way it is with your types, isn't it DeeGee? Always looking for the free ride, the no-calorie Chimmy Chinga, the hit of "weed" that gives you the high you so desparately need, without the stretch of time in prison you deserve for using and selling illicit drugs. Oh sure, the phone company is a gigantic monolith, and your little "I'm home, safe and sound" call-back scheme won't make a bit of difference to their bottom line, Well, let me tell you something, Mister. The phone company's bottom line is Uncle Sam's bottom line. And yours too, if you took the time to research the facts. Whenever some joker makes a phony collect call back to mommy and daddy to let them know he's "OK," it takes just a little bit out of the profits the phone company has rightfully earned. And that loss shows up on the books. And when it comes tax time, that's just one dollar less the good ole' U. S. of A. has to spend on national defense and law enforcement. And if you took the trouble to count up all those dollars from all those fake phone calls, it would add up to a boat load of lost security, Buddy Boy. So the next time you get all nostalgic about the money you bilked out of the phone company, the government, and yeah, the Good Lord above, try doing with without that monkey-shine grin that's plastered on your kisser. It doesn't become you, or me, or the millions of criminals who run free because of your selfish, short-sighted, cheap-skate ways."
I wonder how many Hail Marys it would take to make amends?

Old 06-21-07, 08:09 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just send Webb enough money to get out of jail and you will be forgiven.
Old 06-21-07, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm terribly relieved to hear that Webb is OK, even though wrongfully incarcerated in a stinking rathole of a Mexican Jail. My bet is it won't take him long to straighten out that bunch of losers that are sharing his cell. I sure hope he is able to speak with you again soon. I wonder how all his relatives are doing too? Do please keep us updated, K?
Old 06-22-07, 01:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sad to say, Webb seemed a little tipsy when he called from jail. He said that his old partner Gannon Diego was on his way to bail him out. I didn't have the heart to remind him that Gannon died 28 years ago. Webb was also calling out pretty much everyone who has ever posted in 50 Plus...but for some reason, Digital Gee was really a source of irritation.

As far as the proper number of "Hail Mary's" to make amends, I suspect that DG was referring to last second touchdown passes, rather than doing penance. If that's the case, than I'll refrain from mentioning it to Webb if and when he calls again.
Old 06-22-07, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Electra Townie 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember no zip codes? No two letter state codes? (Penn. not PA, etc.)
Old 06-22-07, 03:38 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My phone number for the first 19 years of my life: Kenmore 1-5131.

Old 06-22-07, 03:40 PM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You mean you are older than 18?
Old 06-22-07, 03:45 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Old 06-22-07, 04:18 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by jibi
do you remember.......

Using a slide rule and log tables to do math

george
Oh god yes!
Old 06-22-07, 04:23 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just in dog years.
Old 06-22-07, 05:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
And mine was Cuyamaca #3, 2 longs and 2 shorts (you turned the magneto to make the rings). There were a total of 13 hand cranked magneto phones on that line, each with their own distinct combinations of short and long rings, and if you turned long and hard enough, the operator in Julian just MIGHT answer. Otherwise, you could call other parties on the line for free, but the phone company didn't like that. There was one bare steel wire draped between phone posts and trees over some 20 miles connecting the phones.
Old 06-22-07, 06:52 PM

Bikes: Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mother just passed away and my dad just went to a nursing home. For at least the last 56 years their number had been. ***-3924. I just cancelled the phone service and didn't realize it until after it had been done.
Old 06-22-07, 06:58 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What's the name of the RCA dog? What breed was he?
Old 06-22-07, 07:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pennsylvania 6-5000

just sayin'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.