Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Aboaut that arms race....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Aboaut that arms race....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 12:17 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
About that arms race....

Finding my 37 miler to be not too much of a stretch, and eager to pile on the miles as to beat the Glorious Comrades to the major milestones, I road a 47 miler this Saturday. I expected to be shot for the rest of the day, but on Sunday.....no aches or pains, the legs felt fine. I just felt like globally warmed dog crap. After my family activities, I laid down to take a little nap and woke up four hours later. This AM wasn't much better. It wasn't until 11 AM that I began to feel like part of humanity, and then it was the mutant part that lives underground and only comes out late at night, the forerunner of the Morlocks, if you will.

So....

1) Don't get carried away out there, fellers. I'm in pretty decent shape for my age but I think I came real close to overdoing it. Don't think you can pick up your new bike and ride up Mt. Mitchell in just three months of riding.

2) You Glorious Comrades are kicking my butt. I admit it.

3) And just when do I feel really really good as a result of all this fine conditioning I'm getting?

Last edited by The Weak Link; 06-11-07 at 12:21 PM. Reason: messed up the title
Old 06-11-07, 12:19 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Pardon my Canadian accent.
Old 06-11-07, 12:29 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank God you posted this. I had regretted rising to the challenge almost immediately. I can relax now.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-11-07, 12:31 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Well, I did 80 kilometers Sunday. Hint to 50+ers, state your mileage in kilometers - it makes it look more impressive...
Old 06-11-07, 12:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Thank God you posted this. I had regretted rising to the challenge almost immediately. I can relax now.
Are you being factitious?
Old 06-11-07, 12:48 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Are you being factitious?
I'm being monomaniacal.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-11-07, 12:53 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Now be thankfull that you ride on your own. No one else to see how shattered you are getting.

The only way to increase milage is to gradually do more milage. The fact that you achieved the ride without feeling rough, that only came later, means that when the conditions are right- you can go out and do the metric. Then you will feel shattered.

Last year I took a friend on a metric and he was just a casual rider. He was riding but be warned. Straight after thgis ride he felt just a little stiff but it hit his wallet. He realised that if he had a better bike -it would have been easier so start looking for a buyer for the Lemond.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-11-07, 01:05 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
????Better than the Lemond????

Surely you jest.
Old 06-11-07, 01:18 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode 20 miles on Thursday and 33 on Friday (metric age ride of 52km) - my old high was 26 miles. On Saturday I was wiped out. My previous two day high had been around 34-35 miles. Riding 53 miles meant that I spent about 5.5 hours in the saddle (not counting breaks). I had 9 mile and 13 mile segments that were both mostly uphill (3%) and into 20-25 mph winds (and on limestone). Those did not pass too quickly.

I have now mapped out a flat course of about 4 miles, of which approximately 50% is asphalt. I think that's going to be my site for seeing how far I can ride in a day later on this summer. And as my car would be parked at the mid-way point, I won't need to carry anything on the bike, except maybe 1/4th of a bottle of water.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-11-07 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-11-07, 01:21 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
????Better than the Lemond????

Surely you jest.
Those bike manufacturers are always coming out with something better. I'm now drooling over a 2008 Madone

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-11-07, 01:28 PM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You increased your distace by 27%, 10 miles may not seem like much but as a percentage that is pretty big. So you should be feeling worn out and I would expect 24-48 hours until you feel perfect again. In another post I talked about a tough 57 miles ride I did yesterday in the heat & humidity. Normally I do 60-65 miles on Sunday and I do this almost every week and I am worn out all day on Sunday. I can get around and do the chores but I am constantly thirsty, hungry and generally tired the rest of the day. After yesterday doing less miles but in the heat I am still worn down today.

My routine is generally not to ride Saturday before my Sunday ride or Monday after, this provides me the best recovery. Some people do mutliple 100 mile days, my body is not up for that, and even more so my mind is not up for that.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-11-07, 01:35 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
That is a good point - jumping more than 10% may cause fatigue. I don't ride 80 kilometers that often but all I felt was hunger - the fridge felt the impact.
Old 06-11-07, 02:09 PM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I didn't realize how much yesterdays 20 mile hill ride and then mowing the lawn took out of me until I went and test rode bikes today. Their test ride is 2 miles uphill to a school, as many laps around the school as you want and back down. After 5 test rides, I'm toast.
Old 06-11-07, 02:37 PM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 439 Posts
@ TWL--you just needed someone to ride with who would pace it out, and stop more often for a drink! I'll bet you went all gung-ho and tried to cram it all in at full or near full speed! Donna and I went out the other day and did an easy (read-relatively flat) 18 mile ride, which had her looking up routes for the next one! THere are some rides around the back roads around us that you can vary from 23 to 43, with moderate hills. So, let me know when you wanna do another ride-I'll be sure to keep us paced, and you never know when you'll need a mechanic along.
Old 06-11-07, 02:42 PM
Banned.

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Some of it was that I saw someone about 300 yards in the distance that I gave chase to. Never caught him after about twenty minutes of trying. Not the brightest thing to do.

Next weekend, hammerhead group ride at 8 AM, if I feel like I have the legs for it. They take no prisoners. You'd be welcome.

In two to three weeks, might go for the 50 miler. Got the route worked out, "Joe Ward's 'Chat N' Nibble' ride". Work on them hills, dood!

The following is not a medical opinion, only an observation:
--Tylenol -- worthless post ride.
--Advil-- doesn't last long enough.
--Aleve-- tears the crap out of my stomach, even though I'm on a PPI.
--diclofenac (generic)-- it delivers!
Old 06-11-07, 03:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I probably should have read this, this morning, before I took off.
Old 06-11-07, 08:14 PM

Bikes: Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did 27 miles Saturday morning with RCK. About 1600 feet of climbing. An hour and a half later I was piloting the tandem with Mrs. Skipper stoking. We did our longest ride to date, 19 miles with about 1300 feet of climbing. This was our first real out of town road ride. Most of our tandem riding has been on the local rail trail with its nasty 2% grade. Sunday afternoon, I headed south on the rail trail for a leisurely 23 mile round trip.

Pretty good weekend in my book.
Old 06-11-07, 08:32 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I can really appreciate the recovery time...did a 10 miles Time Trial Wednesday night and just didn't feel good until Saturday. Recently I noticed on some of the strenuous long rides it takes several days before the full strength has returned.

Feel good that you pushed the limits....your body is just telling you that you did more than normal and you should feel great that that you can physically do that.
Old 06-11-07, 11:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last year I was riding 40 milers on the road (with hills) regularly, 60 miles on rail trail wasn't too hard. So I set out for an epic ride up into the Laurel Highlands, our local mts. These are not huge mts but you're constantly climbing or desending,NO level road. I had my route mapped out, about 35 miles thru the mts, a stop at a store to resupply and about 20 miles mostly down hill to home. Well I missed a turn while in the mts, rode an extra 10 or so miles without any water on an 80 degree day. When I found the store I downed a BIG gaterade and ate something, they didn't have any powerbar type stuff there. So I wasn't feeling too bad when I pulled out and headed down the road for home. After getting down out of the hills, cruising along a fairly level stretch, my right hamstring started to tighten up. I stopped,stretched a little, massaged it a bit and continued on. Within a mile I was off the bike, laying on the dirt holding my leg in agony. I called for help, got a ride home, showered,ate bannanas,drank orange juice and was laying on the bed when the worst pain I have ever experienced gripped my hamstring. I was screaming,biting holes in the pillow,my wife and daughter were scared to death. The cramp lasted approximatly forever.When it did finally end, my riding season was pretty much ended to. A couple weeks later, on nowhere near as hard a ride it cramped up again, and I had to call for help. This year after stretching and exercising all winter it still feels like a weak spot. So what I'm trying to say is be carefull about jumping up the work load, and be real carefull about getting lost and running out of water.
Old 06-12-07, 05:36 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I went around a corner, trying to get across an intersection fast. I gave a big push with my knee at a distance from the top tube.

Wow, did I ever buy the pain and strain. It took several weeks, a number of trips to my friendly chiropractor (he is GREAT and was a former athletic trainer, and he can look at you walking [actually hobbling] in and know what is wrong). Anyway I strained a whole bunch of muscles, and it took some time to get them all back together again. I also have a hip joint susceptible to acute bursitis, and I have to watch that all the time.

It doesn't take much, just the wrong angle of strain and push! Wow
Old 06-12-07, 06:33 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee

+1
Old 06-12-07, 07:32 AM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find for me that I go in "plateaus". I don't see a gradual improvement. What I see is a leveling off for a period of time, then an overnight improvement. It was that way when I was a runner too. If I rush things, I end up going backwards, not forwards.

And to show you how observant I am, all these months in my head you were the missing link, not the weak link. I never read it that closely. Of course, after reading some of your posts, I am not sure which is more appropriate.
Old 06-12-07, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by further
Last year I was riding 40 milers on the road (with hills) regularly, 60 miles on rail trail wasn't too hard. So I set out for an epic ride up into the Laurel Highlands, our local mts.
Would that be the Laurel Highlands in Pa? I've ridden a rail-trail in that area, beautiful and scenic! I have an Allegheny Highlands Trail ballcap from out there. And have ridden the Northern and Southern Yough River rail-trails (they weren't joined yet when we rode them). Miss those Pa. rail-trails. A bit to far from L'ville to travel for a ride now.
Old 06-12-07, 09:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger
Would that be the Laurel Highlands in Pa? I've ridden a rail-trail in that area, beautiful and scenic! I have an Allegheny Highlands Trail ballcap from out there. And have ridden the Northern and Southern Yough River rail-trails (they weren't joined yet when we rode them). Miss those Pa. rail-trails. A bit to far from L'ville to travel for a ride now.
The same. The rail trails are about the only level ground you can find around here. I rode them a lot on my Trek 520 with 28mm tires. I'm staying off them with my Robiax (23mm tires) also the dust from the limestone trail tears up drive trains. That said the Yough River Trail is a beautiful ride. Its complete from Pittsburgh to DC now. That trail was the incentive for me to buy my 520. I planned to ride the whole length but something always interfered.
Old 06-12-07, 12:36 PM

From Pitts.to DC on the Yough River Trail-now that would be one beautiful ride!! I've given thought to retiring (some years down the road yet) to some little town tucked away near a rail trail in Pa., simply because of the scenery. Been all over Pa, and ridden many of the rail trails, and mtn.bike trails. Great state for riding!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.