Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Me and Smoke make a metric (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/308366-me-smoke-make-metric.html)

George 06-11-07 03:07 PM

Me and Smoke make a metric

Me and "Smoke" really been gettin along here lately. I checked the weather this morning and it said 102 countin the heat factor. So I asked "Smoke" how he felt, he said jump on and lets get going. So I gave him his lead for a while, but he started to go 16 and 17 miles an hour. I said lets take it easy so we can get some distance today. Smoke is pretty easy to please, all he needed was air and lube and that made him pretty happy. As for me, I needed 12 bottles of water and two bottles of Gatorade. I had to eat 3 energy bars as well, and I thought four slices of cheese would help me a little too. Anyhow we kept going and going, and was it getting hot, but not a peep out of Smoke. The wind picked up to 8 mph and we just laughed and kept on riding. Anyhow we averaged 11.81 mph and we were pretty happy. I started to git pretty hungry seeing that I burnt 3535 calories and put out 181 watts. So I says let's head for the house we made a good metric century and a birthday ride of 67 years and we were both pretty happy together. Smoke wasn't to tired, but I told him we better wait for it to cool off a bit before we do a century.

The Weak Link 06-11-07 03:10 PM

Dang! A metric in the Texas sun. Very impressive!

I'm no expert, but I've found nightcrawlers to be pretty nourishing. Do you have live bait vending machines in the Houston area?

HopedaleHills 06-11-07 03:12 PM

Wow, great ride. Looks like George has thrown down the gauntlet. I better start working on a metric.

stapfam 06-11-07 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by HopedaleHills
Wow, great ride. Looks like George has thrown down the gauntlet. I better start working on a metric.

Sounds like a good tester for the BMC.

Well done George- but Wait till it cools down for the Imperial.

Just realised the first of the Newbies to do the metric. Not that you are a newbie but I think this is your first metrc? Now how do DG, TWL and SKT better that.

Come on lads- Get the legs turning.

Louis 06-11-07 04:03 PM

Way to go George.

Congratulations on the metric and on the piece you wrote about it. Keep writing stuff like that and you're gonna take the creative writing trophy away from CC.:beer:

Digital Gee 06-11-07 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by stapfam
Sounds like a good tester for the BMC.

Well done George- but Wait till it cools down for the Imperial.

Just realised the first of the Newbies to do the metric. Not that you are a newbie but I think this is your first metrc? Now how do DG, TWL and SKT better that.

Come on lads- Get the legs turning.

I did a metric way back on July 5, 2006, in honor of my parents' 63rd anniversary. I rode 63 miles. I've also ridden my age two years running. I have nothing to prove now. :D

maddmaxx 06-11-07 05:29 PM

Good job. Just kept going and going and going. Sounds like the energizer rabbit.

George 06-11-07 05:30 PM

I'm still going to try for a century, but it's just to damn hot right now.

VegaVixen 06-11-07 05:50 PM

Congratulations, George! My best to date is only slightly more than half a metric century: 35 miles.

I stand in awe of distance riders. My Giro is off to you! <deep curtsey>

MichiganMike 06-11-07 07:01 PM

Way to go George. My hat's off to you. I know how hot it gets down there, and that's pretty impressive. You da man.

Beverly 06-11-07 07:40 PM

Congratulations George!

Riding in that heat can really drain the energy.

zymans 06-11-07 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I did a metric way back on July 5, 2006, in honor of my parents' 63rd anniversary. I rode 63 miles. I've also ridden my age two years running. I have nothing to prove now. :D

WOW 63 miles running :rolleyes:

Digital Gee 06-11-07 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by zymans
WOW 63 miles running :rolleyes:

Yeah...takes a lot of out you, too! :D

jppe 06-11-07 08:14 PM

Excellent job in the heat!! I hope I'm doing as well as you when I'm 67!!

doctor j 06-11-07 08:50 PM

Out dad gum standing, George!

You and ole smoke done good. Many moons ago, I lived down in that part of the world. The heat and humdidity get a mite intense. A metric in those conditions is quite an accomplishment.

Digital Gee 06-11-07 08:57 PM

George, you made me proud to call you a friend. Way to go, buddy! Love your posts, and love kinda watching your personal journey through the forum. Keep it up!

BluesDawg 06-11-07 09:50 PM

You da man!

George 06-12-07 06:22 AM

Thanks everybody, for the kind and encouraging words, I really do appreciate them. You know what's amazing about this, is not the ride, it's the camaraderie of this forum. Just think, people from all over the world brought together, by a bicycle. Simply amazing, and thank you again.

MichiganMike 06-12-07 07:22 AM

George: I am a relatively young member of the forum (54). I use guys like you, DenverFox, and a few others who I know are in their 60's as examples of where I want to be when enter that age group. All of ya'll give us "younger" members proof that we can continue to do those things we like to as we age.

Thanks for being such a great example to us all.

Mike

Terrierman 06-12-07 07:59 AM

George, you are just great, another one of the BF inspirations. Happy Birthday and congratulations on a great ride. I noted how much you drank. I'm working on watching my water intake too and it seems to help doesn't it? Check that, it's essential and I got reminded of that last week. It's flat amazing how much you can drink and how little you can pee riding in warm weather.

MichiganMike 06-12-07 08:13 AM

how little you can pee riding in warm weather.
You are getting off the bike before trying this though right T-Man?:D

BSLeVan 06-12-07 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by George
Me and "Smoke" really been gettin along here lately. I checked the weather this morning and it said 102 countin the heat factor. So I asked "Smoke" how he felt, he said jump on and lets get going.

Let me see if I get this right. It's 102 degrees and your bike is answering you? Two words: heat stroke. ;) Nice ride George.

George 06-12-07 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Terrierman]George, you are just great, another one of the BF inspirations. Happy Birthday and congratulations on a great ride. I noted how much you drank. I'm working on watching my water intake too and it seems to help doesn't it? Check that, it's essential and I got reminded of that last week. It's flat amazing how much you can drink and how little you can pee riding in warm weather.Actually my birthday wont be until August, but I figured it would be hotter then, so that's why I did it now. After I got done with the ride I drank 7 more bottles of water before I felt I had enough. I once read, to weigh yourself before you leave and when you come back weigh yourself again, and if whatever the difference is add water.