Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Still searching for the perfect shorts

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 05:53 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I thought I had hit a home run on my latest purchase of bike shorts. They had this new high tech foam padding for chamois and were extremely comfortable. I had even ridden them on several long rides and they did pretty well. The took care of some comfort issues I was having in the sit area.

I liked my former shorts but the chamois was pretty basic and my sit area tended to get a little numb and uncomfortable on the really long tough rides.

I used the new shorts Monday and unfortunately I now have a horsehoe shaped "outline" on my rear of where the outer edges of the padding where the stitches connect the foam to the spandex. The label bragged about the flat stitching and it seemed and sounded like a really good idea.

I'll heal up soon and recover and I know it was due to simply being in a seated position while plodding along climbing the last 3 hours. The shorts might just be a tad on the large size as well as I noticed as I was pedaling the shorts didn't slide with me on the saddle-but I was moving a little inside the shorts!!! So, the rubbing definitely left it's mark!!

I've never had to use creams for rides and I really hope to avoid them but I suspect they might have helped a little on Monday. Fortunately I don't have those types of rides but once a year. Live and learn.

I've probably just started a whole nother Bib discussion!!!!
Old 06-14-07, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is really annoying when you buy a pair of shorts, find out they don't work, and are stuck with 'em. I, myself, have been on a search for the perfect shorts, with little to show for it but a closet full of shorts that I don't especially like.
Old 06-14-07, 06:48 PM

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assos
Old 06-14-07, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried Aerotech?

I bought a pair about a month ago and they're the best I've found so far. They get favorable reviews in other forums here, are reasonably priced ($50). and they are made in the USA!
Old 06-14-07, 07:16 PM

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I suspect that BikerJoeP is right jppe. I hear Assos as the solution to buttock and nether woes from everyone, even women! Unfortunately, I understand that once you try them, you'll never want to settle for anything less, and so must be prepared to shell out the big bucks every time you need a new pair.

I don't yet do such long-distance riding, so I can't offer any personal input. And if I could, it'd be with regard to a WSD chamois. Sorry.
Old 06-14-07, 07:28 PM
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikerJoeP
Assos
1+, I'll be wearing them in the RAIN (Ride Across INdiana) July 14th.
Old 06-14-07, 07:36 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
https://www.voler.com/products.aspx?CID=4&PID=12

Our club team kits are from these guys. I like the ion chamois.
Old 06-14-07, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I really like Voler's Equipe shorts. Mostly because of the Monolith chamois, which is seamless, just the right thickness, and well-shaped. I now own three pairs.

Last edited by bernmart; 06-14-07 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-14-07, 07:42 PM
Let it be!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They cost an arm and a leg but nothing beats the Assos F.I. Mille A.310 Bib Shorts.
Old 06-14-07, 07:49 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have stepped up biking to 50 miles/day most days. I use top of the line Pearl Izumi without a single concern and I do not baby them or my rear-end.
Old 06-14-07, 08:11 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like Giordana Tenax. Bicycling Magazine rated them #1 for shorts under $100. I also have some Louis Garneau ($145) that I got for $99 through Performance. My theory is that you should spend $1 for every mile you plan to ride, e.g., $50 for 50 milers, $100 for centuries.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 06-15-07, 05:06 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I do wear Bibs there is a big difference in comfort as you go up the line. I recently moved up from my Performance Ultra to some Castelli bibs and they are much more comfortable and I wear them exclusively on my long rides now. Next purchase will probably be Assos. I have a Assos jersey which is very nice and I am coming to the mind that this is one place you probably don't want the low cost option. Its hard for me to shell out $150 but they are probably the only clothes I wear 5 days a week. I used the same logic when I bought my Sidi shoes, they cost more but my feet are happy I paid the extra $.

BTW - I would assume comfort in the crotch is the same issue whether its bibs or shorts. Its all about the pad, stitching and the Lycra used.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-15-07, 05:45 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can't put my finger on it but I have found I am partial to the REI house brand shorts (Navaro), but they do where out quickly. The LBS recommended I try some Castelli stuff, might give it a go, they have a nice jersey that will match my new bike.
Old 06-15-07, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought these Pearl Izumi bibs and really like them -

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1120

Then I bought these (because they looked like they might be cooler for summer) and I don't like them as much as the first pair - mainly because of the chamois -

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1120

"You pays your money and takes your choice."
Old 06-15-07, 06:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
https://www.voler.com/products.aspx?CID=4&PID=12

Our club team kits are from these guys. I like the ion chamois.
+1
Here's the retail site. The Elite DX shorts are excellent, and on sale, my favorite all day wear. Join their V-club and get an even better discount. Way more comfortable then my PI Ultrasensors.

https://www.velowear.com/products/1110134BLKXSM.aspx
Old 06-15-07, 06:33 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Your shorts do sound like they are too big, the movement isn't helping. Bodyglide is easy to use, you might try rubbing it on the stitching. It lasts for my 4 hour rides.
Old 06-15-07, 06:49 AM

Bikes: Bianchi road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boure

I can recommend the Boure shorts, the Elite work best for me. Snug fitting, good muscle support, heavy lycra, comfy pad, quick drying. Not too expensive considering the good quality and money back guarantee. Check out www.boure.com. I also use Bag Balm to prevent any chafing.
Old 06-15-07, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
I suspect that BikerJoeP is right jppe. I hear Assos as the solution to buttock and nether woes from everyone, even women! Unfortunately, I understand that once you try them, you'll never want to settle for anything less, and so must be prepared to shell out the big bucks every time you need a new pair.
After you throw out all the cheaper shorts you've bought and add up how much you spent, you'll find you would have been way ahead just buying Assos to begin with - ask me how I know
Old 06-15-07, 11:22 AM
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Giordana never disappoints...
given a choice, all my kit would be from them

on the budget side, Canari Velo-somethingorother-$30 in Sports Authority are quite nice, decent pad area with not tooo much stuff, well cut so they don't bunch in the 'divide', decent fabric, not too short & not too long, not too tight or too loose in the thigh opening, good gripers. No overdone logoing, stitching or other goofball poseur looks (like the rolled-up, exposed legband thang...- much too much for moi). Basic Black, Pretty good stuff for $30
Old 06-15-07, 12:58 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found the perfect shorts: Insport Brute shorts. Unfortunately, they ain't going to work for all of you upright riders.
Old 06-15-07, 01:06 PM
all you need is love

Bikes: a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had something happen to me yesterday on a 17.5 mile ride that has never happened before. Not to be indelicate, but my.....uh, what makes me a woman......went numb. I regularly ride 20 or 22 miles at a pop, so the distance wasn't unusual. My hands have fallen asleep before, but never my......hoo ha Tuesday.

I have bought only one pair of bike shorts. They're Trek, just basic women's shorts. I think I paid around $55 for them from an LBS. I guess they help some, but I really don't notice that much of a difference when I wear them.

I would like to try some others and I'm willing to go for quality. But ordering clothing online seems like a hassle. What if they don't fit properly? I'm going to try to check out some of these brands you all mentioned in here. With a little luck my _________________ (do-it-your-self-fill-in-the-blank) won't feel like it's shot full of novocaine.
Old 06-15-07, 01:12 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just don't get me started on searching for shorts.
Old 06-15-07, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bw77
I can recommend the Boure shorts, the Elite work best for me. Snug fitting, good muscle support, heavy lycra, comfy pad, quick drying. Not too expensive considering the good quality and money back guarantee. Check out www.boure.com. I also use Bag Balm to prevent any chafing.
+1 on Bag Balm. On the Boure shorts. Do they run true to the size charts on the web site? With everyone's mid line bibs heading for $150+ the prices seem very reasonable. Another thought, how is the chamois/pad on the Elite?
Old 06-15-07, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blues on a bike
I had something happen to me yesterday on a 17.5 mile ride that has never happened before. Not to be indelicate, but my.....uh, what makes me a woman......went numb. I regularly ride 20 or 22 miles at a pop, so the distance wasn't unusual. My hands have fallen asleep before, but never my......hoo ha Tuesday.

I have bought only one pair of bike shorts. They're Trek, just basic women's shorts. I think I paid around $55 for them from an LBS. I guess they help some, but I really don't notice that much of a difference when I wear them.

I would like to try some others and I'm willing to go for quality. But ordering clothing online seems like a hassle. What if they don't fit properly? I'm going to try to check out some of these brands you all mentioned in here. With a little luck my _________________ (do-it-your-self-fill-in-the-blank) won't feel like it's shot full of novocaine.
My understanding is that many women use a topical application to make it numb; maybe this is not a bad thing.

Shorts seem to be like saddles for me -- I've bought some higher end stuff lately, but it doesn't work as well as the cheaper stuff. I'm disappointed in some Castelli bib shorts and Cannondale shorts that I bought lately. The Pearl Izumi stuff seems to work well for me, though.
Old 06-15-07, 01:19 PM
all you need is love

Bikes: a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really!? Is this true, sisters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.