Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Pedaling Technique

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Answer as many as fits your situation.
Choose all that apply. 1. Pedaling Technique, what's that? I just hop on and go.
17.95%
I am a masher.
11.54%
I have thought about pedaling technique, but have never tried one.
10.26%
I use my clipless or toe clips to "wipe" the bottom of my stroke,
55.13%
I use my clipless or toe clips to pull up on the opposite pedal.
51.28%
I use some other technique described below.
10.26%
My pedaling technique (if any) has changed as I got older.
12.82%
My pedaling technique (if any) has always been the same over the years.
20.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

50+ Pedaling Technique

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-07, 12:52 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Circle with wiping motion, although I have not been able to master this 100% of the time. When I do get it right I can quickly tell by increased power and a more fluid motion. Hard to maintain when you are tired and I just have not been able to create the muscle memory to do this consistently without thinking about it.
That motion kills my knees for some reason. When I do Coach Troy's (may buzzards feed on his entrails) Spinervals and he has us pedal with just one foot to learn the proper motion, I feel my ACL begging for mercy.

This topic is discussed among the bloodthirsty Turks all the time. I think the consensus, as much as can be formed about items related to biking, is that it really doesn't make any difference.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
Old 06-15-07, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Circles. I started to vote for wipe and pull up, but though it includes those, the real emphasis is to think about turning full circles with the pedals. The technique follows without a lot of analysis.
+1 been working on this all season.
Old 06-15-07, 02:22 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I tend to pull more when climbing a hill seated, but otherwise I think perfect circles. Anything else throws off my rhythm.

I used to ride in the biggest possible gear I could (back in my 20's when I could get away with knee-abuse) but now find that I'm able to spin better, so I use the gear best suited to keeping my cadence fairly quick.

The tandem, however, is a different animal.
Old 06-15-07, 03:02 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Circle with wiping motion, although I have not been able to master this 100% of the time. When I do get it right I can quickly tell by increased power and a more fluid motion. Hard to maintain when you are tired and I just have not been able to create the muscle memory to do this consistently without thinking about it.
Great point about muscle memory. As I fatigue, my technique gets sloppy. The same happens in golf and skiing.
Old 06-15-07, 03:17 PM
Hypoxic Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
When I came back to biking ~5 years ago I became anal about
spinning and feel like klaxons are going off below 90 rpm. As a
consequence (that's my excuse) I am terrible out of the saddle.
I enjoy working to get better at other aspects of cycling but
getting better at standing gives me no pleasure.
Old 06-15-07, 07:31 PM

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by europa
I was reading an article earlier today, now lost thanks to the miracle of modern forgetfullness (didn't bookmark the thing), but this codger was saying that few people actually apply much upwards pressure on the pedals, even when pedalling in circles - it's more a case that they are getting the foot out of the way of the rising pedal. Suits me.
Richard

WELL SAID !!!!!!
Old 06-15-07, 07:41 PM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
And I am supposed to be responsile for the pedaling technique of the Turks in the roadie forum?
Yep! After all, you're the one that wanted to know "Is 50+ pedaling technique different than <50 technique?"
Old 06-15-07, 10:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No place for spinners? I ride just about everywhere at 90+rpm. It just feels right that way.
Old 06-16-07, 06:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveE
Yep! After all, you're the one that wanted to know "Is 50+ pedaling technique different than <50 technique?"
I think that the 50+'rs on this forum (all of whom used to be, without exception, <50), can tell us adequately about any changes in their pedaling technique that may or may not have occurred. No need to bother the Turks with the concerns of the 50+ forum. Most of them think we are decrepit, dead or riding comfort bikes, anyway! Certainly they think anyone over 50 is OLD.
Old 06-16-07, 08:07 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by head_wind
When I came back to biking ~5 years ago I became anal about
spinning and feel like klaxons are going off below 90 rpm. As a
consequence (that's my excuse) I am terrible out of the saddle.
I enjoy working to get better at other aspects of cycling but
getting better at standing gives me no pleasure.
That would tell me what I need to work on.
Old 06-16-07, 08:21 AM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I think that the 50+'rs on this forum (all of whom used to be, without exception, <50), can tell us adequately about any changes in their pedaling technique that may or may not have occurred. No need to bother the Turks with the concerns of the 50+ forum. Most of them think we are decrepit, dead or riding comfort bikes, anyway! Certainly they think anyone over 50 is OLD.
You think we can remember that far back? Ha! Also, I can assure you that the <50 riders in our club do not think the 50+ riders are decrepit, dead, or riding comfort bikes. Actually, they aspire to be like us when they get our age. (Well, at least like some of us! )
Old 06-17-07, 08:18 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I don't lift my pedals, but I do pull my knee forward as my rising foot nears the top of the stroke.

Road Fan
Old 06-17-07, 09:17 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a newbie I hope I am understanding the question. If I have a technique, I guess it's trying to remember to keep the ball of my foot on the pedal.
Old 06-18-07, 12:24 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
... if your rhythm of breathing and stride caused your exhale and foot strike to always be on the same side, you could be asking for skeletal mechanics problems. I developed breathing cadences that caused the exhale to alternate sides on foot strike and my problems disappeared immediately. I also noticed that such conscious attention to breathing cadences seemed to help my performance. It's probably less of an issue for skeletal problems with biking, BUT ..I think I still get some performance benefit by conciously matching my breathing cadence with my cycle stroke cadence in various patterns. Just something to play with on your next workout ride.
Long ago, I read something about breathing rhythms, and I've been using this technique since then, and it's helped, especially in training and competition. The breathing rhythm is 3 strokes exhale, 2 strokes inhale. This results in the exhale happening on alternating sides. (If you're spinning really fast, like on the track, you can alter this to 4 out/3 in or 5 out/4 in - always an odd number, with the exhale taking longer. When I'm climbing, I'll even go down to 2/1.)

As for pedaling technique, I think it's always improving. Riding a fixed gear for a significant part of the year really helps. Nothing like having to spin at crazy rpm's down a long hill.

- L.