Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Fred or OCP? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/310102-fred-ocp.html)

Digital Gee 06-15-07 08:52 PM

Fred or OCP?

You tell me.

EDIT: Never mind. Image won't link.

VegaVixen 06-15-07 09:06 PM

:(

BluesDawg 06-15-07 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
You tell me.

Very Fred.

VegaVixen 06-15-07 09:12 PM

:p

MichiganMike 06-15-07 09:19 PM

Very Fred
I stared at the screen for about a minute and saw a dolphin. Is that Fred or OCP?

dauphin 06-15-07 09:24 PM

careful dissing dolphins

further 06-15-07 09:53 PM

"You tell me."

Depends on the situation. Before sundown, probably OCP. After dark,definitely fred

roccobike 06-15-07 10:07 PM

I'm certain the answer is Yes. That's my final answer.

stevesurf 06-15-07 10:19 PM

He's a Fred, he's wonderful Fred

Fred Fred Fred Fred Fred Fred Fred Fred

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/3993...834667_400.jpg

Big Paulie 06-16-07 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
You tell me.

The last time some guy tried the old "Never mind. Image won't link." stunt was on the Sopranos last Sunday night... :p

:D

CrossChain 06-16-07 01:05 AM

Is DG a fred dreaming he is an OCP? Or, is DG an OCP masked raider posing as a disarming fred?

The Weak Link 06-16-07 04:30 AM

dood, only take half the dose next time.

freeranger 06-16-07 05:37 AM

White bike, white kit, white helmet, with a white man standing against a white garage door--
DEFINITELY as OCP as I've ever seen!!!!

solveg 06-16-07 06:11 AM

What is* a Fred? What is OCP? What is Foo? What is NOS?

solveg 06-16-07 06:15 AM

I was reading in another forum about a restore on a bike and it said "don't laugh at the NOS grips", which were that black foamy stuff I have on my Bridgestone 200.

Is this something to be embarrassed of? And why? Is tape that much better? Isn't anything that's "embarrassing" now going to be cool and collectible in 10 years? Even bellbottoms came back, and I would have bet against that*....

late 06-16-07 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by solveg
What is* a Fred? What is OCP? What is Foo? What is NOS?

OCP is Obsessive Compulsive Poseur... Theses are the guys wearing full team outfits and often
on team bikes. They also don't seem to go very fast :rolleyes:

Foo is the goofy forum.

NOS is New Old Stock. I recently got my wife XTR hubs that were new but had been sitting in bike shops for several years. Got a nice deal, that's NOS...

Fred is in the eye of the beholder. A Fred is a guy who is just out there riding. I am a middleaged pot bellied guy poking along at 10-15 mph. To racers I am a Fred. I am proud of my Freddiness. Freds ride with their kids to school in the morning, they take vacations on their bicycles, they don't have to ride a zillion miles to get somewhere to ride (cough, cough) and the Freddest of us bring home the bacon on the bike. Remember the parable of the tortoise and the hare from when you were a kid? We are the tortoise!

solveg 06-16-07 06:33 AM

Thankyou! I wonder why Fred isn't a cool subculture like all the others. Seems admirable to me...pure at heart.

BluesDawg 06-16-07 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by stevesurf

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/3993...834667_400.jpg

but I don't like Fred ;)

byte_speed 06-16-07 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by freeranger
White bike, white kit, white helmet, with a white man standing against a white garage door--
DEFINITELY as OCP as I've ever seen!!!!

I don't like the white bar tape. Gets dirty too easy.

CrossChain 06-16-07 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by solveg
that black foamy stuff I have on my Bridgestone 200.

Is this something to be embarrassed of? And why? Is tape that much better? ..

Yes. Be embarassed. But not really. I recall, as a new cyclist back in the early 80's, unwinding the cloth tape and putting those cool black foam grips on my $200 Univega. They promised more than they delivered. The foam wasn't that dense and would compact under your grip. Also, mine hardened as it aged and was a pisser to put on. Cork tape (Cinelli of course) is more comfy.

25 years and indexing, carbon fiber, twice as many cogs later, a bike with such grips would be totally retro cool indeed.

Floyd 06-16-07 08:53 AM

I wonder why Fred isn't a cool subculture like all the others.....
I think it is cool.....real cool
course I am mostly Fred.... I do have a cycling shirt, in the closet, and shorts, which I don't wear as much since I went to the Bent world.
Fred is a subculture in my books, with enough of us out here to make a statement. I will let some of the other Fred's say what that statement might be, they have more opinion than me.
peace

dagna 06-16-07 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by late
OCP is Obsessive Compulsive Poseur... Theses are the guys wearing full team outfits and often on team bikes. They also don't seem to go very fast :rolleyes:

...and should you find them going very fast, they're not OCPs. They're more commonly known as pros. :D

EDIT: yeah, yeah I know...fast, full team kit could be Cat 1/2, even 3...

cooker 06-16-07 09:08 AM

Here: A tale of two Freds.

OCPs may or may not be fast. The title simply means they want their bikes and outfits to look good and have the aesthetically proper components and accessories. Presumably its also a term of self-mockery...ie. they know they're over the top.

solveg 06-16-07 09:43 AM

I did a search on "Fred", and it was...enlightening. So here's how it goes? You start out as a newbie, and you should probably be riding your brother's old 10-speed. Then, as you learn to shift and can ride a couple hours, you buy a better bike. Then you're a "neo-fred". At this point you can split off into 2 directions. Either you hope better equipment and clothing will improve your attitude/performance and you continue to upgrade (always having a bit better equipment than your skills)which makes you an OCP, or you focus on your performance and only upgrade when your equipment seriously hinders you or it gets worn out- a Fred.

OCP occurs under 3 conditions:

1) You're new to bikes, and you trust what the LBS salesman/forum tech talk/or bike magazines to buy your first equipment

Edit: or is this neo-Fred, still?

2) You are new to bikes and are really enthusiastic about the idea of it and have plenty of money

3) You're a good cyclist, you're in the groove and it's a lifestyle, and you don't fall on the Fred side of the spectrum.

Did I get all that right? So, like what is just "normal"? Would that be tortoise Fred?

maddmaxx 06-16-07 10:11 AM

See, no post required. Just start a blank thread and it goes by itself.