Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sunscreen or long sleeves?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-16-07, 01:32 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Now that the weather is warming up, the jeans have got to go. I'm also wearing a long-sleeve white cotton t-shirt with my green cycling vest over it.

I'd like to try a short sleeve or sleeveless shirt instead to keep from overheating. I had my first basal cell cancer removed from the top of my arm last year, and I've heard that once you've had one, you'll start getting more. I am fair skinned and gave up sunbathing about 20 years ago, so my arms are not ready for 3 hours in the sun without protection. I'm wondering if a liberal coverage of sunscreen, spf 30 or higher, would provide enough protection from burning, or if I should stick with long sleeves. If I need to wear long sleeves then I know I need to look for a non-cotton shirt that breathes better.

I'd like to be able to wear these. I think they'd be cute with my pink helmet and black bike
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=21233
http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=21250

Jen
Old 06-16-07, 01:41 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On the hammerfests I attend from time to time no one wears sleeveless. It's not fashionable. I only wear them when I'm riding alone. Not even the women wear sleeveless. I don't know why this is. But it's the rule.

The saying is "Cotton kills". Who made the saying up, I don't know, but most folk ride in shirts made with synthetic fibers with techy sounding names. They can be found anywhere from Wal-Mart to Assos, depending on how much you want to spend on them.

I'm guessing that when you buy a jersey you'll want to make sure it has pockets on the back so you can carry along extra sunscreen, with that history of BCC and all.

And I put on 30 block before my rides and don't get burned.

I think that answers your questions.
Old 06-16-07, 01:44 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I rode sleeveless yesterday for the first time in a long time. Weather finally getting warm here! No sunscreen; I should check into that. I have arms that are DEEPLY tanned up to the point of sleeves, and then as white as Ruby Roubaix to the shoulders. I look like a tapir or something. But sleeveless was really fun. And like TWL says, get yourself some of those techie shirts from Target or whatever. That's what I did. They look like jerseys sort of, without pockets.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-16-07, 01:47 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Now that we mention it: why do roadies disapprove of sleeveless? They work for me and I don't care how it looks, but I do bow to peer pressure when I try to ride with the Turks.
Old 06-16-07, 01:53 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
On the hammerfests I attend from time to time no one wears sleeveless. It's not fashionable. I only wear them when I'm riding alone. Not even the women wear sleeveless. I don't know why this is. But it's the rule.
I think your rule stinks, and I'd be the Frederique in your group -- come summer I'm sleeveless all the time. I even wear X-back tops when the temps. top 100. I just want pockets on the back for lip balm, sunscreen, Gu, cell phone, and I.D.

Why sleeveless? Because I don't like the farmer tan look. It's bad enough that from mid-thigh up I'm fishbelly white. My arm-tan ends where my hand begins, and my feet are whiter than my legs. So anytime I can even out my tan, I'm happy.

I wear sunscreen but tan through it (SPF 40). At least I don't burn (most of the time).

Wear what you'll be most comfortable in, and never mind what's fashionable.
Old 06-16-07, 01:54 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Now that we mention it: why do roadies disapprove of sleeveless? They work for me and I don't care how it looks, but I do bow to peer pressure when I try to ride with the Turks.
Why do you call them Turks?
Old 06-16-07, 02:04 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yen...I am not into fashion so will not speak to that part.... I have been getting the "sunspots" as I call them for several years. I worked in Venezuela for 8 years and did not use enough of the sunscreen...not saying that is what is now causing the Basal Cell things but doctor said I had the skin of a much older person and that was over 15 years ago. Notice I did not say age... Anyway..... I would definately suggest putting on the sunscreen if you want to avoid the 'sunspots'. And last couple of days I have tried a gel with Aloe Vera and it seems to be helping (backs of my hands get it the worst) but too soon to say for sure. It is one of those you put on after you have been in the sun.
Happy riding
peace
Old 06-16-07, 02:10 PM
bobkat
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

I slop on lots of sunscreen whith the highest number of SPF I can find, preferably that stuff in Canada (we always buy a bucket of it when we are up there) that protects against UVA and UVB!
Come summer pretty well everybody in this neck of the woods wears sleeveless, except early in the morning (armwarmers or leg warmers) I may be a Fred but I've never heard of wearing sleeves for fashion.
Old 06-16-07, 02:24 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Donna had a malignant melonoma removed just after we were married. It was damn scary, but she's OK, and they got it before it had spread. I used to hardly ever burn, regardless of how long out in the sun, but I do now. Definitely use sunscreen or sunblock now. And cotton--forgeddaboudit!! Cotton does not breathe well and will roast you. "Wicking" material is what you want to use--usually polyester or polyester/cotton blend.
Old 06-16-07, 02:55 PM
wrafl

I apply sunscreen and wear a hi performance drywear long sleeved shirt to reduce sunburn. In fact I think I need few more of the hi performance drywear as I have been riding longer distances and mostly on areas with no shades. This shirt is comfortable that you dont feel the heat and keeps you dry all the time while riding.
Old 06-16-07, 03:10 PM
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

I am the exception to this. Nearly all my shirts I bike in are sleeveless. I don't do sunscreen.
Old 06-16-07, 03:15 PM
Stevie47

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
When it gets hot here, most riders including the big guns go sleeveless. Looks fine to my eyes, and I believe it to be a teeny bit cooler.
Old 06-16-07, 04:13 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

Originally Posted by Red Rider
Why do you call them Turks?
This seems to be a fairly new usage here. It no doubt derives from "young Turks", which originally referred to a cadre of aggressive up-and-coming young Tory parliamentarians in England early in the last century (I think the young Churchill was one - history geeks will confirm or correct me), and gradually came to mean aggressive, impatient, up and coming young men in general. Yes, it was applied mainly to men - it's a somewhat old fashioned usage.

Even in the last days of the Ottoman empire Turks were reknowned as fierce warriors -- that's probably the ultimate origin. And I remember an episode of M*A*S*H* wherein a wounded Turkish soldier had to be restrained on the operating table because of his zeal to kill Chinese. (I think Hawkeye finally cajoled him into submission).

Here on 50+ it obviously refers to young, fast roadies.

-- BCoppola: Semi-official 50+ armchair philologist.

Last edited by bcoppola; 06-16-07 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-16-07, 04:24 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I have lots of basal and squamous problems.

I buy a very small travel tube of SPF at Target for $1.00 just to have in my wedge. I wear sleeves as much as possible, and use sunscreen.

I also wear a bandana as the sun can get right through the holes in your helmet, and with no much hair on my head, my scalp has become a problem, also.
Old 06-16-07, 05:00 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

There is a story going around that bug spray and sun screen combined are not so good for you. It has been linked to higher blood pressure.
If someone knows more, I would like to know.
Old 06-16-07, 05:28 PM
Big Paulie

On the hammerfests I attend from time to time no one wears sleeveless.
Now that we mention it: why do roadies disapprove of sleeveless?
Why sleeveless? Because I don't like the farmer tan look.
By "sleeveless," do you mean, "sleeves?" If so, then sleeveless is the wrong word...
Old 06-16-07, 05:42 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

I think your rule stinks.
It ain't my stinking rule. I thought that was clear from the context of my posts. Perhaps I was being bit too subtle.

And thanks for giving an excellent definition of the Turks. Lord knows we would never say anything that would intentionally upset anyone around here.

Truth be told, I just watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" and everytime the grandma refers to the next door neighbors as "those bloodthirty Turks" it cracks me up.

I'm sure comtempory Turks are wonderful people. I'd love to have them live next door.

Now excuse me, I'm going to interact with my 2.3 children, one of whom is bound to be a minority.
Old 06-16-07, 05:55 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

The saying is "Cotton kills". Who made the saying up, I don't know, but most folk ride in shirts made with synthetic fibers with techy sounding names.
That applies to Cold, not heat. Cotton wicks away moisture but retains it. Yes Cotton Kills from aiding onset of hypothermia (sp?)

5 yrs hunting in Canada proved that to me. Coldest morning was -21 F but calm, warmed up to -10. Took a NICE NICE buck.
Old 06-16-07, 05:56 PM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

I must be "out of the loop" again. See nothing wrong with sleeveless and see plenty of gals with sleeveless tops in warm weather. May not be the top of choice for a team rider in a race, but don't believe Jen is dressing for a race. I would go for something like this: http://store.aerotechdesigns.com/woslcyjeye.html

Has the rear pockets and high visibility of yellow. Not so sure about going with the pink helmet. If you really want to cut down on the top, I've seen a few gals riding with just the sport bra. Although I believe the tops with the wicking fabric would actually be cooler as the wicking action really does work. Skin by itself doesn't wick so well.
Old 06-16-07, 05:57 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

I first used "Turks" in another recent thread. Have I once again said something politically incorrect? Shudder!
Old 06-16-07, 05:58 PM
Red Baron

Originally Posted by will dehne
There is a story going around that bug spray and sun screen combined are not so good for you. It has been linked to higher blood pressure.
If someone knows more, I would like to know.
Dang, I just read that article in last weeks newspaper, science section. Not proven if I remember correctly more studies needed . Wish I had a link to it.
Old 06-16-07, 05:59 PM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Big Paulie
By "sleeveless," do you mean, "sleeves?" If so, then sleeveless is the wrong word...
Now I'm completely confused.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-16-07, 06:00 PM
Red Baron

Originally Posted by bobkat
I slop on lots of sunscreen whith the highest number of SPF I can find, .
From what I understand anything above 45 is a waste of money.

Course I could be wrong.
Old 06-16-07, 07:37 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

What would happen if you just went without sleeveless?
Old 06-16-07, 08:26 PM
blues on a bike
all you need is love

Bikes: a 24-speed San Rafael by Marin. a 6-speed Huffy beach cruiser

Originally Posted by MichiganMike
I am the exception to this. Nearly all my shirts I bike in are sleeveless. I don't do sunscreen.
eep. I could have written this. I prefer sleeveless; I think it's cooler and I feel better with a little color. My goofy socks leave my legs with a clear line of demarcation. Living in Florida, I know I should wear sunscreen. Sometimes I do, if I know I'm going to the beach or will be at some event out in the sun, but when I ride, I usually don't. I generally just get tan, no burn. Plus, until I get the skullcap or headband I ordered, I sweat so much, my eyes sting as it is. 20 miles today and I kept having to use my shirt and gloves to wipe my eyes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service