Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

1st goal selected

Old 06-17-07, 06:39 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1st goal selected

So I've been digging through all the MN rides, dreaming. I'm a rambler at heart. I just want to see new stuff and be a little uncomfortable while I'm doing it... it's a illness.

Anyway, my first biking goal will be the "Voyageur's Ramble" along Lake Superior. 28 miles with one major climb (2 miles at a 9% grade) and then (and this is a quote) "You will coast for 5 MILES back to the scenic Highway 61".

5 MILES. How cool is that? And my ancestors were voyageurs, so they probably used this same entrance.

The rest of it is rolling with some flat stretches.

I'm aiming for the end of the summer. Before labor day so if my bike breaks, someone will be around to help me. I'm going to take a bike fixing class this winter....
Old 06-17-07, 07:06 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
It sounds like a nice rewarding ride, and a Nice bike to do it with too, have fun.
Old 06-17-07, 07:36 AM
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

2 miles up and 5 down

my kind of hill

tailwinds too

george
Old 06-17-07, 07:51 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Two miles at 9% grade is going to be a little tougher than it sounds.....
Old 06-17-07, 08:08 AM
cranky old dude

Sounds like a great adventure....I'm jealous.
Old 06-17-07, 08:11 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

I know, but remember... I'm a neo-fred! I'm not embarrassed to walk if I have to!

I don't have clips on my new bike, and the LBS people kind of implied that I wouldn't need them. I don't have any special pedaling technique, but I do lift with my leg, especially up hills. So I think the clips are going to have to go on....
Old 06-17-07, 08:16 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

I recommend you go as you are. No new equipment.

Yesterday I hit a hill I'd never traveled before. My knees were aching and I was tired, and then this hill comes along with a 13.5% grade. ::weeping uncontrollably:: I had to dismount and push the bike up for about 50 yards, me on my full carbon bike and in full poser gear. It was humiliating.

If you look like a dyed-in-the-wool Fred, no one will think twice about it.
Old 06-17-07, 08:18 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Sounds like a great adventure....I'm jealous.
It's just a ride around the block compared to the stuff everyone else is doing. But after so many years of not riding, It's a good first goal. I'm only at 6-8 miles every day, but I'm not tired at the end. I'm trying to get used to the new saddle, and trying to remember how my body should react. I got neck twinges the 3rd day and realized my helmet was too low on my forehead. Another day, my elbows were a little achey and I realized I was locking them when I was going downhill. Little things like that. Trying to remember what all that stuff meant when I used to ride a lot.

TWL: Exactly* my plan!
Old 06-17-07, 08:27 AM
solveg
Squirrel

My biggest challenge so far is to overcome my fear of cars. When I was in college, I was riding back from a night class at about 10 pm in a heavy rain. I had lights...

The first stretch was down a nice long hill, but it was dark and raining, so I wasn't going that fast. A parked car pulled out suddenly before they even turned on their lights. She got me with her left front corner and I flipped over the car and put about a 1.5 inch dent in my helmet. Totally messed up my wrist for years.

This whole thing coincided with getting a real job only a few miles from my house and my move away from the bicycle. So I never really rode a lot in traffic again, and I'm suddenly realizing it makes me scared to death.

So, like anything, the mental stuff is the biggest challenge. So for me to regularly ride 30 miles in the city to get strong enough for this first jaunt is a big thing. It will force me onto the streets in order to get to the trails.

More than you wanted to know, eh?
Old 06-17-07, 08:52 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Have fun. That climb will be tough, but you have the bike, the gearing and the attitude to take it in stride.
Old 06-17-07, 08:53 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

My daughter almost got herself killed because she was nervous around cars and was glancing over her shoulder. She rode off into a shoulder and almost got flipped back onto the pavement in front of the car. I'm developing a bad habit, too, with my rear view mirror, glancing at it when I should be looking straght ahead.

So....remember 1) accidents where bikers get run over from the rear are actually pretty rare (it's more often from not being seen at an intersection), and 2) the bike will go whereever your eyes tell it to. When in doubt, focus on your intended path and trust that the cager behind you doesn't really want to be bothered by having to fill out an accident report.
Old 06-17-07, 09:05 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by solveg
My biggest challenge so far is to overcome my fear of cars.
http://alcoman.railfan.net/fear.html
Old 06-17-07, 09:33 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Of course, the problem with a five-mile coasting descent is that it's impossible to scream "Wheeeee!" for the full five miles.

Don't ask me how I know this...
Old 06-17-07, 09:35 AM
cranky old dude

Originally Posted by solveg
My biggest challenge so far is to overcome my fear of cars. When I was in college, I was riding back from a night class at about 10 pm in a heavy rain. I had lights...

More than you wanted to know, eh?
I was lucky. An 82yr. old lady took me and my eight day old bike out in May of '91 (that's 1991) in broad daylight. We were both traveling the same direction and my mistake was being where she wanted to be to make her right turn into the road that was about 50 yards away. As she overtook me, she changed from the center lane of a six lane road into the right lane where I was riding. I was maybe 12 inches out from the curb, but it was real-estate that she needed. I never heard or saw her coming. Her right front fender nudged me over the curb (this is where the tumbling started), and as I bounded off the lightpole she ran over my Brand New Bike.

I'm not as brave as you....I still don't ride much in traffic.
I commend you on your courage.
Old 06-17-07, 10:30 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I recommend you go as you are. No new equipment.

Yesterday I hit a hill I'd never traveled before. My knees were aching and I was tired, and then this hill comes along with a 13.5% grade. ::weeping uncontrollably:: I had to dismount and push the bike up for about 50 yards, me on my full carbon bike and in full poser gear. It was humiliating.

If you look like a dyed-in-the-wool Fred, no one will think twice about it.
Where are the PICS????

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-17-07, 11:01 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Where are the PICS????
I was dropped so badly that there was no one left to take pictures of me, and I was too spent to do it myself.
Old 06-17-07, 03:14 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Don't feel bad. There is no shame in occasionally walking up a hill. I've never done it myself, but there's no shame in it. Really.