Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I need a gatorade I.V. drip

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-17-07, 07:36 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doctor J drove up yesterday from Springdale. We wanted to check out some of the route for the Queen City Century and to ride my first metric. We got them both done. Take THAT! TWL.

It was a very nice day, warmish though, upper 80's and humid. Very little wind. I was concerned about hydration and worked on it for a couple of days before and drank water and gatorade like a fish Saturday morning while doing the dogs and on the drive up to the start point. Ate bananas like the monkey I am Friday night and one last thing before we rode away from the Jeep. It was a good thing I did too, because I still got behind the power curve on hydration a couple of times. Man, that takes it out of me FAST but when I really focus on drinking and down a quart or so of gatorade, in ten minutes I'm able to pretty much be back to normal (whatever that is). I had a little trouble near the end of the ride starting to cramp in my calves as we were climbing a long (about three miles) but relatively gentle grade out of the Finley River valley. I've ridden that section dozens of times without difficulty before, so I'm pretty sure it was hydration. We got off and I stretched out for a couple of minutes and drank some more gatorade and we were able to carry on without any more difficulty.

We had a good time. Google maps let us down several places and we got lost, well, off route, three times. One time we were stopped for a break and trying to figure out where we were and where we needed to be going when a guy and his daughter in a jeep with bikes on the back asked if we were OK. We told him we were just taking a break and he went on. Five minutes later he's coming back and hollers out the window if we need some water to turn in his drive - about 100 yards up the road from where we were standing in the shade. We took him up on the offer. They were very kind and filled our bottles and gave us good directions to get back on route. He and his wife are triathletes, and his daughter had just won her age group that morning in a MTB race.

The other highlight for me was looking down at the James River as we crossed it and seeing a family of Canada Geese floating down through a chute (the James was running fast right there) looking for all the world like they were out for a family float trip. Very cool.

We stopped and had a grilled chicken sandwich at about mile 38. It tasted very good and re-energized both of us, but it seemed to sit pretty heavy on the rest of the ride. I don't think I'll be making that choice again on a ride like yesterday's. Fine on one that is cooler and more relaxed, but with the need to take in all the liquids like yesterday, not the best. Doctor J shares that conclusion.

Doctor J is a tall lean drink of water and a lot better rider than me. I'm sure I held him back, but he didn't say a single word about it. Very nice fellow and I'm glad we are hooked up now. We are going to attempt the Queen City Century on the 30th of June. Victory is not assured, hydration is by far the biggest question now in my mind. We both had gas left in the tank after yesterday's ride so I don't think stamina is the issue any more. I'm slow, as advertised. We averaged 12.1 mph according to my computer.

Breaks and lots of liquids with electrolytes will be the key to my success. As will eating something that won't sit so heavy. I'm thinking a couple of PBJ or Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches for the century might be a better idea. Along with some fruit, preferably banana?

So anyway, here we are after the ride, I'm 6'1" and the short one.

Old 06-17-07, 07:48 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, you're standing and you have a smile on your face. That works for me.

How did your knees hold up?
Old 06-17-07, 07:49 AM
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So anyway, here we are after the ride, I'm 6'1" and the short one.
????????
Old 06-17-07, 07:51 AM
jibi
Left OZ now in Malaysia

Location: Lancashire England, but at the moment on an extended tour of South East Asia

Bikes: Thorn Ravan Catlayst, Bill Nickson tourer, Bill Nickson Time Trial, Claud Butler Cape Wrath, Motobecame Tandem etc etc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry

forgot to say

great ride!!!!!

george
Old 06-17-07, 07:56 AM
Terrierman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Hey, you're standing and you have a smile on your face. That works for me.

How did your knees hold up?
No problems yesterday or today either. I did take a dose of Ibuprofen before we left.
Old 06-17-07, 08:02 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
WTG, T-Man.

Sounds like a fun ride and all in all, you withstood it in good shape.
That Coda looks good and it seems to be working well for you.

If you are 6'1", how tall is Dr J?
Old 06-17-07, 08:10 AM
Terrierman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
WTG, T-Man.

Sounds like a fun ride and all in all, you withstood it in good shape.
That Coda looks good and it seems to be working well for you.

If you are 6'1", how tall is Dr J?
REALLY TALL! My coda is a 21.5 frame. Look at the frame size of the Fuji Newest he is riding in comparison!
Old 06-17-07, 08:35 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man is he tall or what! That was a very good ride Terrierman, next the century. I'm going to wait until it cools off a little. You wonder how you can drink so much water, doesn't it. I wish there was something other than Gatorade, that stuff taste like dog @#@#. Anyhow my hat is off to you, excellent ride.
Old 06-17-07, 10:39 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You both look like a cupla Freds! Great ride, great report! I feel altitude challenged looing at the two of you, and I'm 5' 10"

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-17-07, 11:07 AM
NotAsFat
as I used to be

Bikes: 2006 Lemond Tourmalet triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride! So when are you gonna do that imperial century?

Stick with fruit and sports drinks for anything up to 100 mi. You're less likely to end up barfing it back up on a climb.
Old 06-17-07, 11:19 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride. Now belly up to the bar and have a cold one.
Old 06-17-07, 02:11 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was great to be able to put a face with a name and actually do a ride with a fellow, grizzled, olde-phart, ex-Marine, 50+ BFer.

The perimeter of Springfield is a great place to ride with rollers and flats. The geography, flora, and fauna, as well as the good company, were pleasing. The Canada geese mentioned by T-Man were really neat, something you would have missed had you been in your car and something I would have missed had the T-Man not given me a holler. The Jeep family was really hospitable. In addition to the help they rendered, they even offered us snacks. You meet the nicest people on bikes !

And speaking of the nicest people on bikes, we encountered a tandem during the ride. The captain was a fit looking young dude, but the stoker was one of the finest, fittest examples of her gender I've ever seen !

We stopped at a small dam on the Finley. Looking over the bridge, we saw an entire school of rather sizable fish swimming in the tail race. T-Man reckons these were stripers. I'm looking at them thinking any one of them would have made a nice recovery meal (for an entire cycling team!).

During the climb out of the Finley River Valley, I asked the T-Man if we were on an escalator. Seemed like that hill would never end.

Closer to the end of the ride, we encountered several representatives of the species dogus biggus chasus cyclai rapidus . We kicked in the after burners to some avail, but in the end, I think they realized there was no challenge or fun in chasing two worn-out old dudes, and they reversed course for home.

The lunch deal is still up in the air. It's gonna have to be something substantial, but light. I feel like a sandwich and some bananas may be the way to go The old standy-by, granola bars and honey, washed down with gatorade, worked well.

Another observation. If the definition of energy in your dictionary does not make reference to or bear the image of a Jack Russell Terrier, then that definition does not fully deliver the essence of the word. These guys are full of pep! We got to play with the puppies for a bit. They're really neat.

Lovey and the T-Man were gracious hosts. I really enjoyed the ride, and I'm looking forward to the century

Last edited by doctor j; 06-17-07 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 02:39 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW! I am very impressed! Good for you!

My favorite healthy snack for energy is a peanut butter sandwich (I like Orowheat 'Master's Best' bread) with a banana. As a fruit, an orange is also good, as is melon or apple. Ditto on avoiding heavy stuff. I am a newbie here but I believe that although I might burn a lot of calories on my rides, my food choices should still be nutritional, without too many unnecessary sugars.

How do your legs feel today?
Old 06-17-07, 03:20 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very impressive!

Bet you would have never thought a year ago that you would be posting a message like this.
Old 06-17-07, 03:21 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are those green color-coordinated water bottles that I see?
Old 06-17-07, 04:02 PM
Terrierman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Very impressive!

Bet you would have never thought a year ago that you would be posting a message like this.
Nope!
Old 06-17-07, 04:02 PM
Terrierman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Are those green color-coordinated water bottles that I see?
Yep!
Old 06-17-07, 04:03 PM
Terrierman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
WOW! I am very impressed! Good for you!

My favorite healthy snack for energy is a peanut butter sandwich (I like Orowheat 'Master's Best' bread) with a banana. As a fruit, an orange is also good, as is melon or apple. Ditto on avoiding heavy stuff. I am a newbie here but I believe that although I might burn a lot of calories on my rides, my food choices should still be nutritional, without too many unnecessary sugars.

How do your legs feel today?
Fine. But I am still waking up from a little napsie!
Old 06-18-07, 11:22 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Great ride!!!

Be sure and test out any food you plan to use before the century. Strenuous activities has a way of making what seems like a terrific idea deteriorate very quickly.

Doctor J looks like the type of guy I really enjoy riding behind.
Old 06-18-07, 12:14 PM
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Outstanding job! I just rode my first metric a couple of weeks ago, and I have a feeling I know just how you feel. Ditto to what everyone's saying about food- I did another metric yesterday, and as you point out, Gatorade and bananas are your friend. I hope it wasn't as hot there as it was here (Philly )- about 91, hotter on the open parts.

On to the imperial!
Old 06-18-07, 12:15 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is what biking is all about, setting new personal bests and having fun doing it!

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-18-07, 12:20 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a fantastic ride. I'm sure you're ready for the next century.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-18-07, 04:03 PM
Dellphinus

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-man, something to try- I had similar problems staying hydrated (or so I thought)- getting cramps during and after the rides. Somewhere I read an article on sodium loss/intake (I'm a heavey sweater, and a salty sweater). I started addign 1/8 tsp of table salt per 24 oz bottle of G'ade, and the problems quit. Also found I can take a bottle of plain water along (I get rREALLY sick of G'ade after the second or third bottle), as long as I take a couple salt tabs (Thermotabs, walgreens) with each.
Just a thought.

Congrats on the ride! You look a lot better than I did after mine!
Old 06-18-07, 04:27 PM
MarkAJ
Live To Ride Another Day!

Bikes: Pig with lipstick (Trek Pilot 2.1 Ulterga Group/Compact Crank)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations! I wish I had been with you both.

Gatorade does not work for everyone the same way. I have just recently moved over to Hammer’s Perpetuem for long rides. This one is easy on my stomach. Having done two 60-70 miles rides with it I think I may have the right drink. I always carry a PBJ and banana on unsupported rides.

Hammer's Perpetuem
Old 06-18-07, 06:53 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Terrierman]Doctor J drove up yesterday from Springdale. We wanted to check out some of the route for the Queen City Century and to ride my first metric. We got them both done. Take THAT! TWL.

We had a good time. Google maps let us down several places and we got lost, well, off route, three times.

Congratulations. Sounds like you need a mapping GPS for these exploratory forays. I use a garmin GPSMAP 60CS. Pre load the waypoints for my route and it beeps when I'm approaching an upcoming turn. Also I would ditch the gatrade and switch to a powdered electrolyte energy drink. I have used and like accelerade, cliff shot and cytomax.