Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Decisions, decisions (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/310483-decisions-decisions.html)

jppe 06-17-07 08:13 AM

Decisions, decisions

I'm tired. It's been a 200+ mile-6 days with about 17,000 ft of climbing and the body is telling me to rest. I woke up tired. My right knee has developed some pains that probably means the saddle height needs to be reduced. My knee is tired.

I've signed up for another 100 miler for this Saturday that has 13,000 ft of climbing and has one climb that is just brutal. It tops out at 19% and averages 13-15% for 2 miles. Plus I've already done the darn route this year as a training ride.

I'll be out of town all week in Charleston, SC and have the option of staying over next weekend (all expenses paid) and enjoy the coast, play some golf, eat excellent food, get rested etc. On the other hand I could drive 6-7 hours back late Friday night and get on the bike before the crack of dawn and do the hellish ride on Saturday.

One minute I want to do the ride. The next minute I'm ready for a break.

Not sure what I'll do.

What would you do????

The Weak Link 06-17-07 08:20 AM

Charleston S.C. is a delightful city. Everyone there rides cheap bikes. It's amazing. They say it's because the life expectancy of a new bike there is about 10 days, so no one rides anything that they wouldn't mind getting ripped off.

I say go there, wine and dine and rent a cheap bike and enjoy the Good Side of the Force.

maddmaxx 06-17-07 08:21 AM

I'd tell you to ride. Or not.

Halfast 06-17-07 08:42 AM

To ride or not to ride, that is the question.

solveg 06-17-07 08:44 AM

I say, go out and cruise by some rosebushes to smell the roses. Take a recovery ride.

Terrierman 06-17-07 09:02 AM

My money is on you doing the hellish ride. But if it were me, I'd hang out where I could laze around under some Spanish Moss and have some shrimp grits. You'll have fun no matter what.

BluesDawg 06-17-07 09:02 AM

I think you've earned a mini-vacation. Enjoy your weekend in Charleston. :)

Hermes 06-17-07 09:11 AM

Play golf.;)

maddmaxx 06-17-07 10:21 AM

NO.....NO.....NOT Golf........anything............

Those people are strange. They have special clothing, and special shoes, and....and......they do it to stay "fit". Who could hang out with people like that?

Digital Gee 06-17-07 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Halfast
To ride or not to ride, that is the question.

To ride, or not to ride,
That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler to endure the slings and arrows
of outrageous fortune (murderous hills, for example)
or to take arms against a sea of troubles (a recovery ride, for instance)
and by opposing end them.

Only you, grasshopper, can make this decision. You already know the answer. Stop ignoring your Inner Cyclist. He knows what to do. :)

wobblyoldgeezer 06-17-07 11:16 AM

[QUOTE=Digital Gee]To ride, or not to ride,
That is the question.
Whether 'tis nobler to endure the slings and arrows
of outrageous fortune (murderous hills, for example)
or to take arms against a sea of troubles (a recovery ride, for instance)
and by opposing end them.

And just before I go ( that was the wrong taxi, in case anyone was following another thread) we have a deal to perform Hamlet on bicycles on our overnight in Elsinor. The question is, does that mileage count?

BSLeVan 06-17-07 11:17 AM

I'd take the break. I've always found it harder to recover from over training than from a short break.

Beverly 06-17-07 11:24 AM

Maybe it's time to give the knee and yourself a little rest. But then again I'm one of those that hates to miss a ride, too:)

zonatandem 06-17-07 12:15 PM

Indecisive people don't make their own decisions . . . neither does a herd of cows!

CrossChain 06-17-07 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
NO.....NO.....NOT Golf........anything............

Those people are strange. They have special clothing, and special shoes, and....and......they do it to stay "fit". Who could hang out with people like that?

Worse would be to watch golf on TV. Seriously, jppe, if your knee is "sensitive", and given that's it's only mid June with a long season ahead of us, and how lovely fall must be in the Blue Ridge....the last thing you need is to blow out your knee and lose your training flow.

What would your mom say......"Take it easy, Jppe, and you'll ride another day-- and in the meantime clean your room." In fact, you'll ride lots of days. The recovery ride timed to not interfere with golf sounds good. Or, a ride with the wife maybe-- after all, you guys just recently reconnected. ;)

Hwy 40 Blue 06-17-07 02:39 PM

What are you, crazy? Play golf!

Look at your lede: "I'm tired." And now look at your kicker: "I'm ready for a break."
There's your answer.

Tom Bombadil 06-17-07 03:24 PM

You've done a lot of riding. And will continue to for months. But you can't enjoy Charleston SC free very often. I say do the Charleston thing.

Bud Bent 06-17-07 08:14 PM

Listen to your body. It's easy for those of us who push hard to forget that recovery is the most important part of training.

DnvrFox 06-17-07 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by jppe
I'm tired. It's been a 200+ mile-6 days with about 17,000 ft of climbing and the body is telling me to rest. I woke up tired. My right knee has developed some pains that probably means the saddle height needs to be reduced. My knee is tired.

I've signed up for another 100 miler for this Saturday that has 13,000 ft of climbing and has one climb that is just brutal. It tops out at 19% and averages 13-15% for 2 miles. Plus I've already done the darn route this year as a training ride.

I'll be out of town all week in Charleston, SC and have the option of staying over next weekend (all expenses paid) and enjoy the coast, play some golf, eat excellent food, get rested etc. On the other hand I could drive 6-7 hours back late Friday night and get on the bike before the crack of dawn and do the hellish ride on Saturday.

One minute I want to do the ride. The next minute I'm ready for a break.

Not sure what I'll do.

What would you do????

You need a break. Take it. What do you need to prove?

CrossChain 06-17-07 08:31 PM

Goldurnit, jppe, if you're gonna be an ironman, then you can't be a ninny. Of course, ninny's may last longer, eventually accomplish more, and not sit around the house crabbing because their leg is iced up on a cushion or their body is drained, but.................we all agree: RECOVER.

p8rider 06-17-07 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
What are you, crazy? Play golf!

Look at your lede: "I'm tired." And now look at your kicker: "I'm ready for a break."
There's your answer.

I think there's a certain logic to this comment jppe. It may be time to take a short break, rest the knee a touch and then enjoy the rest of the summer and fall riding season.

stonecrd 06-18-07 05:26 AM

Since your asking I think you really want to take a break. I know if I had put in the miles you did it would not be a question for me. The worst thing you can do is to not take breaks, unless you are a pro and getting paid to ride. Too much cycling like anything else will lead to mental and physical fatigue and make you more prone to injury.

Take the time away from the bike and you will enjoy it more when you get back

oilman_15106 06-18-07 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Charleston S.C. is a delightful city. Everyone there rides cheap bikes. It's amazing. They say it's because the life expectancy of a new bike there is about 10 days, so no one rides anything that they wouldn't mind getting ripped off.

I say go there, wine and dine and rent a cheap bike and enjoy the Good Side of the Force.

All the homeless people steal them?

crtreedude 06-18-07 06:40 AM

I had a pretty brutal ride Saturday - it wasn't meant to be, but ended up that way. (one of those!) So yesterday I spent the time with my wife and some friends down at the ole swimming hole. We have a beautiful tropical river with deep swimming holes, rapids, etc. I swam and then let the rushing water beat away all soreness. Felt wonderful.

Swimming is great therapy for joints too.

stapfam 06-18-07 11:08 AM

If you feel Like I do right now. Take a drink A large one, then another- go to bed and sleep. Decide ttomorrow