Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Another great Father's Day gift! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/310512-another-great-fathers-day-gift.html)

Digital Gee 06-17-07 10:10 AM

Another great Father's Day gift!

Nothing quite like Will's, but I'll take it!

My 15 year old daughter flew last night to Frankfurt, Germany to spend a couple of weeks with her maternal grandfather, who's been teaching some college courses over there for a few months. This morning, thanks to amazing modern technology, we had an internet video phone call via Skype. Free!

It was wonderful to see her, know that she made it okay, and get a quick tour of the apartment where she'll be staying.

Sometimes, technology is just soooo amazing. I think I'll celebrate with a nice bike ride. Isn't it funny how a nice bike ride can be used to celebrate anything? :)

cranky old dude 06-17-07 10:19 AM

Sounds like you had a GREAT morning. Happy Fathers Day to you.

will dehne 06-17-07 05:04 PM

DG-It is very nice to have a daughter. It is very nice she cares enough to get in touch. And, yes, the new technology is great in many ways. I would not know what to do without my Laptop. It has become absolutely essential.
Happy Fathers Day to you too.
Will

Terrierman 06-17-07 05:44 PM

Deeg, I know where you are coming from. :) :)

My daughter and I had a nice visit today too. Good times.:D

stapfam 06-19-07 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Terrierman
Deeg, I know where you are coming from. :) :)

My daughter and I had a nice visit today too. Good times.:D

Daughter bought me a book on Mont Ventoux after ride. Good job it was after as if I read it before- i would have done it in the car

RockyTopBiker 06-19-07 06:12 AM

I got exactly what I always wanter. An Outdoor Research, Gortex Toilet Paper Holder. Absolutely true!

Beverly 06-19-07 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Nothing quite like Will's, but I'll take it!

My 15 year old daughter flew last night to Frankfurt, Germany to spend a couple of weeks with her maternal grandfather, who's been teaching some college courses over there for a few months. This morning, thanks to amazing modern technology, we had an internet video phone call via Skype. Free!

It was wonderful to see her, know that she made it okay, and get a quick tour of the apartment where she'll be staying.

Sometimes, technology is just soooo amazing. I think I'll celebrate with a nice bike ride. Isn't it funny how a nice bike ride can be used to celebrate anything? :)

I often wonder how people stayed in touch prior to the internet and other modern inventions:) My family keeps in touch through myspace.com.

Artkansas 06-19-07 11:14 AM

I have no kids.

And did they get me anything? Nooooooooooo!

maddmaxx 06-19-07 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by RockyTopBiker
I got exactly what I always wanter. An Outdoor Research, Gortex Toilet Paper Holder. Absolutely true!

Must have pics! This I have to see.

BluesDawg 06-19-07 11:40 AM

My oldest son is a great kid, but terrible about observing Fathers Day. One year BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia) started on Fathers Day and we were riding together on a tandem. We were passing a church along the course and I asked him if he could read the message on the church sign. So he read the sign to me, Happy Fathers Day". I told him "Thank you. You are a good son". :)

Beverly 06-19-07 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Artkansas
I have no kids.

And did they get me anything? Nooooooooooo!

Those ungrateful brats:rolleyes:

RockyTopBiker 06-19-07 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Must have pics! This I have to see.

I'm not sure if they will let me post this, but, if so, it is a photo from my recent canoe trip on the Colorado River south of Moab, UT. The TP holder is mounted on a bush beside me. The canoe trip was easy, but the mountain biking trip on the White Rim nearly did me in. It was 105 degrees that day. Now I know why I'm a road biker!!

maddmaxx 06-19-07 12:11 PM

Ok, I'm sorry, no more pics required.