Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I may still make a biker out of her.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-17-07, 01:03 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My soon to be 16 year old granddaughter lost interest in biking this year as that all important drivers license is just around the corner. Last night while we were putting things back into the garage after a family cookout she asked if she could take a ride on the new mountain bike. Of course I let her take it for a spin around the neighborhood. It really didn't impress her but as she was putting it back she had to move the Trek 1800C. I asked her if she wanted to give it a try. After a quick lesson on brakes and shifting she took it out for a short ride. I think this may have sparked an interest in riding again She loved it!

It shouldn't take too many adjustments to make it fit her as she's the same height and it has the dual-sided pedals on it. A few more lessons on shifting and I think she'll be ready for some road riding. Now if I can just convince her she doesn't need to wear her regular shorts over her cycling shorts She's a little modest

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-17-07, 01:11 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Now if I can just convince her she doesn't need to wear her regular shorts over her cycling shorts She's a little modest
There are worse characteristics in 16 year old girls. Glad to hear she is showing interest in following in granny grunt's cycling shoes!
Old 06-17-07, 05:59 PM
Big Paulie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My grandmother was born in 1870...so it really hard to relate to trying my grandma's road bike!!!!!

This is really cool, Bev...
Old 06-17-07, 06:13 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
There are worse characteristics in 16 year old girls.
Ditto!

Let her wear whatever she wants until she, like me, learns that bike attire is more comfortable.
Old 06-18-07, 05:38 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Ditto!

Let her wear whatever she wants until she, like me, learns that bike attire is more comfortable.
I would never say anything to her about wearing the shorts over the cycling shorts. She learned a few years ago that the cycling shorts were much more comfortable than the blue jean shorts she had been wearing Sometimes you just have to let them learn things for themselves

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-18-07, 01:55 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you get a child to be physically performance oriented?
How do you get anyone physically active?
Peers? Family? Schools? Media? Government Programs? Clubs?

Do we even agree that this is an issue with obesity rising? Where will that go if left as it is going?

Are there other much more important issues?

So many questions.
Old 06-18-07, 02:25 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
How do you get a child to be physically performance oriented?
How do you get anyone physically active?
Peers? Family? Schools? Media? Government Programs? Clubs?

Do we even agree that this is an issue with obesity rising? Where will that go if left as it is going?

Are there other much more important issues?

So many questions.
The best we can do with children is expose them to different activities and hope they find one they enjoy. My granddaughters enjoyed the bike trips when they were teenagers but many of them are now working, going to college or starting families of their own.

You don't want to get me started on school's involvement in kid's health issues. Let me just say they need to rethink their school menus and vending machines made available to kids

-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-18-07, 02:59 PM
will dehne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best we can do with children is expose them to different activities and hope they find one they enjoy. My granddaughters enjoyed the bike trips when they were teenagers but many of them are now working, going to college or starting families of their own.

You don't want to get me started on school's involvement in kid's health issues. Let me just say they need to rethink their school menus and vending machines made available to kids
I hear you but cannot ignore what I see. I came to the USA in 1962. Obesity has gone wild. Where will that end? I know of people who have suffocated from the fat around their heart. (My wife's best GF)
Ankles, knees and hips wear out. These are people we see every day. Cannot ignore their problems. I travel a lot. It is really tough to get around such an airport as Chicago ORD if not reasonably fit.

I wonder if this country should not be more pro active on this issue. (instead of PC)
I do know this: It will cost a ton of money to repair the damage.
Old 06-18-07, 07:01 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wonder if this country should not be more pro active on this issue. (instead of PC)
I do know this: It will cost a ton of money to repair the damage.
There are at least some indications of a small move in the right direction. The company I work for has been looking for ways to reduce the health insurance costs that keep rising astronomically every year. They are in the process of launching a big wellness program. I hear that this is happening in many companies. We will be given free health screenings. There will incentives set up for making healthy lifestyle choices (lose weight, stop smoking, take nutrition classes, participate in activities etc.). I have been selected to be on a committee working with representative from the Cooper Clinic to set up some of the details of the program. I'm hoping to get cycling included in some way.
Of course there is plenty of skepticism that the company will use this to screw us in some way. I must confess to sharing some of that concern. But it is happening regardless, so I'll try to make the most of it.
Old 06-18-07, 08:04 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

While the menus are likely a problem, I think the PE philosophy has changed, and has to be at least part of the problem. In the '60s and '70s, in between walking 5 miles each way in the snow, we had gym every day, in my Chicago high school. Some kind of physical activity was required every day. My wife, in her school here in Michigan, is amazed that kids do not have this requirement.

What did it do for me? well having been a 15 mile/day road rider thru most of high school, I was odd so I can't really say!

Road Fan
Old 06-18-07, 08:04 PM
MTBLover
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry to get you started, Beverly, but here's a question: whatever happened to gym class? Not that it was worth much in our respective days in HS, but at least it was something. Now, many/most school districts have pared it down to virtually nothing, or eliminated it altogether, the later especially in private schools. I couldn't agree with your first comment more- there really needs to be a rethinking of the role of physical education and its place as an essential part of the entire educational process. I'm talking about teaching and getting kids involved in "life activities"- those things that they can continue to participate in throughout their lives and enjoy themselves doing them. Activities like cycling, hiking, walking (even), tennis, and the like are ever so much more likely to persist into adulthood and beyond, much more so than flag football, wrestling, basketball, and the ever-popular kickball and dodgeball. I mean, come on- who in this forum has played this stuff (with a possible exception of a quick pickup game with our kids) since HS or college?
Old 06-18-07, 08:16 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
While the menus are likely a problem, I think the PE philosophy has changed, and has to be at least part of the problem. In the '60s and '70s, in between walking 5 miles each way in the snow, we had gym every day, in my Chicago high school. Some kind of physical activity was required every day. My wife, in her school here in Michigan, is amazed that kids do not have this requirement.

What did it do for me? well having been a 15 mile/day road rider thru most of high school, I was odd so I can't really say!

Road Fan
It amazes me that because my son takes band in middle school, he cannot take a PE class. Fortunately he is very active, playing on the school soccer team and running, bicycling and doing other physical activities on his own, but some of his classmates just sit around eating high fat and high carb foods all day.
Old 06-18-07, 08:19 PM
will dehne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short story about value of exercise. I was born 1941 in Germany. Diagnosed early with heart valve problems and could not do sports. I became such a discipline problem that my parents relented and put me in a rowing boat to diffuse the energy. (That was before Ritalin. I was a loose cannon, really bad.)
We won the German championship in two classes in 1959. (so much for heart problems)
This event has been formative for my whole life.
Old 06-18-07, 08:22 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My soon to be 16 year old granddaughter lost interest in biking this year as that all important drivers license is just around the corner. Last night while we were putting things back into the garage after a family cookout she asked if she could take a ride on the new mountain bike. Of course I let her take it for a spin around the neighborhood. It really didn't impress her but as she was putting it back she had to move the Trek 1800C. I asked her if she wanted to give it a try. After a quick lesson on brakes and shifting she took it out for a short ride. I think this may have sparked an interest in riding again She loved it!

It shouldn't take too many adjustments to make it fit her as she's the same height and it has the dual-sided pedals on it. A few more lessons on shifting and I think she'll be ready for some road riding. Now if I can just convince her she doesn't need to wear her regular shorts over her cycling shorts She's a little modest
This is really good news. My wife, in her high school, is thinking of startign a road cycling club, with the library sciences person. The librarian owns a Serotta, and did many centuries (fast ones to hear her!) before she had here kids, and is a good wrench. My wife has the kid charisma.

I hope they let me help!

Road Fan
Old 06-19-07, 07:28 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTBLover
Sorry to get you started, Beverly, but here's a question: whatever happened to gym class? Not that it was worth much in our respective days in HS, but at least it was something. Now, many/most school districts have pared it down to virtually nothing, or eliminated it altogether, the later especially in private schools. I couldn't agree with your first comment more- there really needs to be a rethinking of the role of physical education and its place as an essential part of the entire educational process. I'm talking about teaching and getting kids involved in "life activities"- those things that they can continue to participate in throughout their lives and enjoy themselves doing them. Activities like cycling, hiking, walking (even), tennis, and the like are ever so much more likely to persist into adulthood and beyond, much more so than flag football, wrestling, basketball, and the ever-popular kickball and dodgeball. I mean, come on- who in this forum has played this stuff (with a possible exception of a quick pickup game with our kids) since HS or college?
Our local high school probably has a better selection of physical education courses then many schools. In addition to the usual selection of football, basketball, etc we have tennis, golf, fitness walking, roller skating, weight training, archery, fencing and several other individual participation sports. The school is also located next to the new YMCA and has access to some of their offerings. I hate to say they've also lowered the number of physical education requirements for the students. What were they thinking?

One of my biggest gripes is the food made available to the students. The parents have succeeded in getting the soda and candy vending machines removed or at least stocked with healthier options. They're working on getting some of the food items removed from the menus - things such as french fries, etc. We can't eliminate the unhealthy food from their diets but at least we don't need to make it readily available during school hours.

When my grandkids were smaller and visited they knew they wouldn't find junk food in the cupboards or fridge. They didn't object to eating the food I kept in the house - yogurt, fruit, low-sugar cereals, etc. We skipped the McDonalds when I took them out to eat and hit the restaurants where they could get "real food" They survived and a few of them still choose salads and veggies instead of burgers and fries.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-19-07, 07:48 AM
will dehne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can't eliminate the unhealthy food from their diets but at least we don't need to make it readily available during school hours.

When my grandkids were smaller and visited they knew they wouldn't find junk food in the cupboards or fridge. They didn't object to eating the food I kept in the house - yogurt, fruit, low-sugar cereals, etc. We skipped the McDonalds when I took them out to eat and hit the restaurants where they could get "real food" They survived and a few of them still choose salads and veggies instead of burgers and fries.
This reply illustrates how difficult it is to loose weight with exercise alone.

My wife and I are on a health kick for some time. She does Curves daily and 1-2 hours on machines at home plus goes Tandem biking with me. She cannot loose a pound. We eat healthy food only. Her problem is meat. She is addicted to meat. A meal without some meat is no meal.

The difference between her and me is that I can do vegetarian if my weight creeps up. It drops immediately if I do. I must emphasize that we avoid processed food and no deep fried at all.

Can we get our kids to use their heads? You tell me. Some actually do figure it out all on their own. Most do not.
Old 06-19-07, 02:04 PM
Road Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
It amazes me that because my son takes band in middle school, he cannot take a PE class. Fortunately he is very active, playing on the school soccer team and running, bicycling and doing other physical activities on his own, but some of his classmates just sit around eating high fat and high carb foods all day.
Mrs. Road Fan teaches choral music, and most of her top singers are in soccer, track, and cross-country. Few of the kids seem to have anything good to say about PE, however.
Old 06-19-07, 02:27 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This reply illustrates how difficult it is to loose weight with exercise alone.

My wife and I are on a health kick for some time. She does Curves daily and 1-2 hours on machines at home plus goes Tandem biking with me. She cannot loose a pound. We eat healthy food only. Her problem is meat. She is addicted to meat. A meal without some meat is no meal.

The difference between her and me is that I can do vegetarian if my weight creeps up. It drops immediately if I do. I must emphasize that we avoid processed food and no deep fried at all.

Can we get our kids to use their heads? You tell me. Some actually do figure it out all on their own. Most do not.
Usually when I start gaining weight I know I've been hitting the carbs too much. I love bread and could make a meal from homemade bread. That's one reason I gave my bread maker away.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-19-07, 04:57 PM
skiph

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually when I start gaining weight I know I've been hitting the carbs too much. I love bread and could make a meal from homemade bread. That's one reason I gave my bread maker away.
Ah...someone after my own heart.

I haven't had any fresh (just bagged) bread for over a year (since I started cycling seriously).

I was in the store the other day and went by the bakery and they had fresh french bread out so I broke down and bought a loaf.

Of course when I got home, I promptly cut off several nice slices and slathered on the margarine (no real butter, or that would have used that). But it was...mmmm, good. I could make a meal out of it also.

Just a little while ago I had a nice ham sandwich made with some of it, after completing a leisurely 40 mile ride, the last 10-12 miles into a gentle 15mph headwind. Pictures will follow later after I get them downloaded and organized.