Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Dilemma - Solved (Comfort vs Hybrid etc.)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-07, 07:00 PM
Life in the Slow Lane

Bikes: Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The dilemma is solved---!

After spending another whole day driving to East Overshoe and back, visiting every bike shop and bike along the way, we came home with the 2006 Giant Sedona DX. First I loved the fit, ride and shifting, but I'm crazy about the color It's pale green and pale gold. Until they're covered in trail dust, I'm going to admire the look of the pale gold chain on the silver gears too.
Haven't been able to get a photo yet but will try to attach one I found on the web, just for fun. In case that doesn't work, here's the link
https://commerce.idmi.net/ecommerce/c...2723&PI=20170#

We looked real hard at the hybrids today, but in the end, I just felt more comfortable (no pun intended) on the Sedona. The better half has a mountain-type bike more similar to the Sedona than the hybrids. To ensure married bliss, I also figured it was not a bad idea to have similar bikes suited to the same terrain.

The proof was in the pudding. On the way home, we stopped at a state campground/park along the ocean, where the better half put the new bike through some sharp paces: pavement, gravel, sand, grass, slippery wet & rocky woods trails, trails covered in bark, you name it. He of the "no frills" personality surprised me by praising the adjustable front suspension to the skies; said he could take the roughest territory with no loss of control or battering to arms or shoulders. (I'm sensing front suspension in his future...)

I'm still gimping around on a sprained foot so I couldn't do a sustained ride, but just taking a spin around the campsites on grassy/bumpy or gravelly roads was effortless. I'm not used to such a short wheelbase but am adjusting pretty quickly.

Oh --- surprise, the bike came with Shimano C101 front derailleurs and Shimano Alvisio rear derailleurs, which is not what Giant advertises (they say C102/Aceras). I was scratching my head over this but ran across another post on the net from someone else who reported the same equipment switcheroo.
No complaints!

Don't know what I'll do with my free time now that I've actually found a bike. Oh, wait, accessories!

Ally
Old 06-17-07, 07:09 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on the new bike but I am afraid I have some bad news. A new dilemma is on the way. Now you will have to decide which helmet style, color, what seat bag, what to put in it, what shoes, shorts and on and on. Or, you could just ride your new bike and not worry about the rest of the stuff for a while. Have fun.
Old 06-17-07, 07:17 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Glad you found a bike you like. Have fun!
Old 06-17-07, 07:40 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RoMad
Congratulations on the new bike but I am afraid I have some bad news. A new dilemma is on the way. Now you will have to decide which helmet style, color, what seat bag, what to put in it, what shoes, shorts and on and on. Or, you could just ride your new bike and not worry about the rest of the stuff for a while. Have fun.

+1, but it's all fun.
Old 06-17-07, 07:48 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Sedona was designed to be very comfortable, and it sounds like that's how you found it. It is a popular bike and many people are very happy with it.

I think it is good thing that you tested out the hybrids, if for nothing else but to determine that they weren't what you were looking for.

That fork will smooth out the bumps, and sustain the occasional more difficult trail, but may not hold up if subjected to frequent rough trail rides. So don't let your hubby beat it up too badly on a regular basis.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-17-07, 07:51 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Single bikes get lonely. It's going to need a stable mate.
Old 06-17-07, 09:28 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. That's a beautiful color... sort of champagne. I think you need a pink helmet to go with it.

You're going to have a blast!

Jen