Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Pulled the Trigger on a New Bike

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-18-07, 05:43 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Went out this weekend and looked at bikes and came home with one. As I mentioned in a previous thread I had a list which recently I shortened down to: 1. Scott CR1, 2. Specialized Tarmac Pro 3. New Trek Madone 5.2.

In the end both the Trek and the Scott were in my price range but I have been looking at the Scott for a long time so my heart was more in that direction. The final decision though actually had nothing to do with the bike but was completely based on the LBS. The place that was selling the Trek barely acknowledged my presence did not want to provide a test ride and didn't even mention fitting? The LBS that had the Scott went out of their way to check my measurements, put platforms on the bike and said take it for a ride without asking and once I pulled the trigger spent an hour doing a full fitting. So in the end both bikes looked great, both bikes had similar specs but the LBS service is what made me buy the Scott.

So now I am a proud owner of a Scott CR1 Pro, full Ultegra drive train and Mavic Elite wheels. Took it for a 40mile ride yesterday and boy it was sweet. The drive train is extra smooth, the bike is very stiff yet I don't feel much road noise at all. Climbing (the little I do) requires a lot less effort than my older bike.

I'll post some pictures later in the week when I get a chance

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-18-07, 05:52 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on the new bike.

I have to agree that the LBS with the best service was the right choice. It certainly has been the determining factor when it comes to bike purchases for me.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-18-07, 05:54 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Lots of new bikes showing up here this season! Congrats, and don't take too long on the pics. BTW--my choice of bike had to do with the dealership also. Though it took me a year to commit to buying a road bike, this one shop treated me like it was the first time they'd seen me, even though I kept stopping in, and stopping in, without actually buying it. Finally I did, and from them, because of the way they treat customers. (went into one shop, small, one person, and they didn't even stop or look up from what they were doing to acknowledge that I had walked in--needless to say-didn't take long to walk out!).
Old 06-18-07, 06:33 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
That a pretty bike congradulations. They just stoled 5 of them at the Sun & Ski about 10 miles from me.
Old 06-18-07, 06:35 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nothing quite like that first ride on a new bike. I hope each successive rides brings you even more joy.
Old 06-18-07, 06:54 AM
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Great choice, hope you get many, many enjoyable miles. PICS!
Old 06-18-07, 07:27 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

The pics are coming, I bought cages and new ultegra pedals on-line so I will get them on first. I expect many happy miles on the bike. I actually went out to do 60 yesterday which was kind of aggressive for a new bike and especially a new saddle, the original was one those thin Selle saddles which I change for a Specialized Avatar which felt pretty good. The weather, however, was just too hot and humid (85F 75%RH) to do that long of a ride so we shortened to 40 miles.

This is the first time I had a full bike fitting done and I would recommend this to anyone. Last bike I just did it myself and tweaked and tweaked until things felt right. This time having the ability to swap stems and have a pro look at your position while fitting resulting in everything being right the first time. The only thing I really need to get use to is changing from a triple with a 52/42/30 to 53/39 double.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-18-07, 07:47 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Congrats on the new bike. I'm living vicariously through all you guys with new bikes. I'm a year or more away from anything new. Maybe I can do some reconfiguring of old bikes and parts to make something new out of old stuff.

BTW, your weather would be a relief around here. 97 degrees yesterday and I was mowing the lawn.
Old 06-18-07, 07:50 AM
HopedaleHills
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Originally Posted by stonecrd
The pics are coming, I bought cages and new ultegra pedals on-line so I will get them on first. I expect many happy miles on the bike. I actually went out to do 60 yesterday which was kind of aggressive for a new bike and especially a new saddle, the original was one those thin Selle saddles which I change for a Specialized Avatar which felt pretty good. The weather, however, was just too hot and humid (85F 75%RH) to do that long of a ride so we shortened to 40 miles.

This is the first time I had a full bike fitting done and I would recommend this to anyone. Last bike I just did it myself and tweaked and tweaked until things felt right. This time having the ability to swap stems and have a pro look at your position while fitting resulting in everything being right the first time. The only thing I really need to get use to is changing from a triple with a 52/42/30 to 53/39 double.
I agree about the fitting. The guys that fit me to the new BMC took about an hour. They had this cool adjustable stem that they could vary the pitch and length until they saw your posture was right. Then they just took the readings off that stem and put on one with the same specs. I have had no discomfort on that bike. I had the seat post replaced with a CF and changed the saddle to a Specialized Alias. So far, so good. I am however having a time getting used to the compact crank. I miss my 39T chainwheel.
Old 06-18-07, 08:55 AM
Baroque
Life in the Slow Lane

Bikes: Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun

Congrats and many happy trails!
I narrowed my bike search to the 2 shops that provided the most personal service. Once you've experienced good service, it's hard to even consider buying a bike where you're treated like an unwelcome interruption instead of a customer. How these unfriendly shops stay in business at all is a wonder~!

Ally
Old 06-18-07, 09:00 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Baroque
Congrats and many happy trails!
I narrowed my bike search to the 2 shops that provided the most personal service. Once you've experienced good service, it's hard to even consider buying a bike where you're treated like an unwelcome interruption instead of a customer. How these unfriendly shops stay in business at all is a wonder~!

Ally
Funny thing is, when I first starting just thinking about biking again, I walked into the then tiny Adams Avenue Cycles, and no one -- not a soul, would even acknowledge my presence, let alone answer questions. I finally walked out and vowed never to return.

I bought my first bike at a Trek dealer some distance from my house because the salesperson was so willing to spend time with me. Went back a couple of times and finally pulled the trigger.

After that, I found myself stopping in the Adams Avenue Cycles shop for one reason or another, and my experience was night and day different from the first time. Went on to have them do a lot of wrenching for me, converting one bike to a single speed, trying to help me get The Diego to fit, etc. Everyone in the shop has been very helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, and so on. And the manager at the Trek dealer also still remembers me and teases me about fitting me for a Pilot 5.0 every time I stop back there for whatever reason -- and it's been over two years now.

So I guess I'm saying that even the best shops can have an off day. I'm convinced that's what happened to me at Adams.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-18-07, 10:10 AM
VegaVixen

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congrats on your new Scott! I love mine, and also noticed that the hills seemed to be non-existent on my first ride. Solution: find bigger hills.

Happy riding!
Old 06-18-07, 11:05 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

VV thanks, I sure would have love to get an SL but the price was a bit too steep. My wife is not a cyclist so buying a bike that costs more than $500 is unfathomable to her. I told her that I would stick to my hard limit and did so, but it is sooo tough when you see the nice Dura Ace stuff for just a few hundred more. Of course she does know the shtick, she mentioned that now I probably also need a new helmet, gloves etc. I assured her this would be my last purchase for a while. Now if I can stick to that

On another note if you have a chance to look at the new Scott Addict, do so. This things is sooo light its incredible. Not sure I would feel comfortable about using it as my daily rider but it is a incredible looking bike.

2013 Noah RS

Last edited by stonecrd; 06-18-07 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-18-07, 12:13 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Congrats stonecrd! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Just wanted to post my recent dealer experience.

I stopped in at a local shop and was talking with the owner about putting a compact on my Trek 2300. I ride a lot of hills, and I also wanted to see if I liked the compact before I bought a new bike in the next few months. As were were talking, I was looking at an '06 Scott CR1 SL he had. He asked me what my size was (56) and he said "When you bring in your Trek, why don't you take this one home to ride while I'm working on your bike?". Well, of course I said "OK!". I brought in my Trek the next day, and he set up the Scott to the same fit as my Trek. He even put on a Fizik Arionne saddle like the one I ride now so riding a different saddle wouldn't "confuse" me.

I had the Scott for about 3 days, took it out on a couple of short rides by myself, took it on a couple of evening club rides, and decided to buy it (at least 100 miles test ride). Also, this guy matches internet prices for good customers, and he matched the lowest CR1 SL price from a brick & morter store with an internet site!

And there's more - he gave me his "team" discount on the compact crank (Shimano).

The only problem is that now I've got a compact on my older (winter/rainey day) bike, and a 53/39-25 on the new, super light bike that I'd most like to use for climbing. He told me to ride it for a while, and if I wanted a compact on the Scott, he'd "work things out". In addition to the crank question, I think I'm going to get a little shorter stem to move the cockpit back a couple of cm into a more climbing friendly position.

I can't say that buying the new bike was an impulse. I knew that I wanted a bike, knew the bikes I as interested in, and the critical part - ordered a Seven catalogue, layed it on the coffee table at home, and casually said to my wife "These are pretty nice bikes - and the frames are only about $4000"

I was just waiting for the right opportunity, and the right opportunity presented itself.

Once again, enjoy your new ride!
Old 06-18-07, 12:42 PM
fat biker

Congratulations!

Nothing quite like good customer service.

May your new bike bring you much enjoyment.

Jeff, still fat
Old 06-18-07, 12:49 PM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Congratulations! I can't wait to see the photos! It's hard to stay off* a new bike, isn't it, even though you know you should...
Old 06-18-07, 12:55 PM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

It is nice to hear good LBS stories. One of the biggest disappointments in growing old is to see all of the mom and pop shops closing up and doing all of your shopping in the big box stores. Going to the same small shop and knowing everyone who works there and they know you personally and your family is so much better than getting someone who directs you to 1/2 the way down aisle 26.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-18-07, 01:06 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820

I was looking at Scotts last year & was impressed, but decided that my "first" road bike should be (1) a compact frame and (2) not too expensive so I went with the second-hand ebay Giant. No regrets, but when the time comes for my next road bike Scott will be on the short list. A nice LBS here sells 'em.

Other short list bike will be Specialized Roubaix. Was very impressed with my test ride on one. I understand perfectly why our DG is so over the moon about his.

I'd also like a Jamis Sputnik fixie. My birthday is Sept. 19 (hint).
Old 06-18-07, 03:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Excellent choice!! I think you'll really like the 53/39. I have that on my everyday bike and it really spins up just super. It seems perfect for an everyday bike and one that is used for training.
Old 06-18-07, 03:47 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

I understand the influence of the LBS. Right now my favorite LBS's bike is #2 on my list, my 2nd favorite LBS has my #3 bike. And my #1 bike is from my #4 LBS. If I were going to buy right now, this would be a difficult decision to make.

At least I haven't found a great bike from the LBS which irritates the h*ll out of me.
Old 06-18-07, 07:16 PM
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Originally Posted by bcoppola
I was looking at Scotts last year & was impressed, but decided that my "first" road bike should be (1) a compact frame and (2) not too expensive so I went with the second-hand ebay Giant. No regrets, but when the time comes for my next road bike Scott will be on the short list. A nice LBS here sells 'em.

Other short list bike will be Specialized Roubaix. Was very impressed with my test ride on one. I understand perfectly why our DG is so over the moon about his.

I'd also like a Jamis Sputnik fixie. My birthday is Sept. 19 (hint).
If Scott and Roubaix are on your short list, you owe it to yourself to look at the LeMond Buenos Aires (Zurich/Versailles).
Old 06-18-07, 08:32 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
That's a top shelf machine. Very nice. Enjoy it in good health.
Old 06-19-07, 05:25 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

57 miles on it so far and it is a dream. I am already starting my upgrade list, let's see:

FSA K-wing carbon bars http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...axid=41&pid=82
FSA K-force carbon stem http://www.fullspeedahead.com/fly.as...axid=43&pid=86
Ravx carbon cages http://www.ravx.com/pages/pages_prod...s/alpha_x.html

Now all I need is another $1000 for upgrades

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-19-07, 09:29 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I've got the K-Wings on my Trek. Right now I can't decide whether to move them to the Scott or get some new bars. I like the K-Wings, but when you're in the drops, there is an edge that hits you right in the base of the palm of your hand. The aluminum Ritchie handlebars that come on the Scott really kill my hands. My hands are the only part of my body that I have trouble with on a bike, and I'm now a big fan of carbon, ergo bars.