Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Online road grade calculator

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-18-07, 07:02 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At one time someone posted a site where you could highlight a section of road on a map and it would give you the percentage of grade. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it or if I did I can't find it Does anyone have the site? I want to check a couple hills in my area.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-18-07, 07:34 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't do it, but I read where someone got a small level from the hardware and fastned it to there top tube. I am thinking about doing it, but I really don't need one where I live. I was going to use in the Texas Hill County. You'll have to make sure your bike is level, as well as the top tube, when you put it on.
Old 06-18-07, 08:39 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would think you would want a curved tube rather than a straight tube like most levels have. I am thinking of early bank indicators in airplanes. Or, what about a small pendulum against a scale of some type?
Old 06-18-07, 08:41 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think Beverly is looking for something to hang on the bike. I thought she was asking about websites which enable her to check road grade. I wonder if Gmaps Pedometer does that?

The link.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-18-07, 08:45 AM
markmontana
senior earthling

Bikes: changes often

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if this is it, but you can get elevations of your ride here:

http://www.mapmyride.com/

You need to enable the 'show elevations' button
Old 06-18-07, 09:00 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 10097 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know that if you have Topo 5.0 that it will calculate the profile and average grade.
Old 06-18-07, 10:24 AM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I know that if you have Topo 5.0 that it will calculate the profile and average grade.
+1. It has a nice feature that you can run the mouse over the route and see the grade for each spot. Of course, that doesn't make up for the fact that it has one of the world's worst and least intuitive user interfaces.

There is a little bubble-level type thing that you can mount to your bars, but I've heard that it can jiggle around a bit while riding, so you might need to stop to get an accurate reading.
Old 06-18-07, 10:32 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using toporoute.com to check out alternative routes. It's elevation data isn't accurate when you zoom way in, but it's good for most hills. The best feature is that it snaps to the road, so it's fast to plot a route.

Here's an example, it only took 2 clicks to create: Map.

Click the Elevation button to see the elevation graph, distance, and percent grade. This climb has no dips in the middle, it's a steady climb. And the top section is actually steeper than the bottom. So the elevation data can be off by maybe 50 feet or so.
Old 06-18-07, 10:33 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Garmin 305 does it all. It also deeps me honest.

I blew up on a hill this weekend that I might have told you was a 30% grade and 400 feet of climbing.

I measured it out on the garmin: 125 feet gain with max grade of 13.5%, which is bad enough, but not so bad that I shouldn't be able to go back and make it up next time (hill repeats, here I come).
Old 06-18-07, 11:02 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
The Garmin 305 does it all. It also deeps me honest.

I blew up on a hill this weekend that I might have told you was a 30% grade and 400 feet of climbing.

I measured it out on the garmin: 125 feet gain with max grade of 13.5%, which is bad enough, but not so bad that I shouldn't be able to go back and make it up next time (hill repeats, here I come).
I have the Garmin but does it store the grade? I'm too busy gasping for air on a couple of the hills to worry about the readouts on the thing at that time. I guess I could gather the other info from the Garmin and figure the grade for a couple of the hills. I hate messing with gadgets and was looking for an easy way to get the information

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-18-07, 01:49 PM
Faust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I have the Garmin but does it store the grade? I'm too busy gasping for air on a couple of the hills to worry about the readouts on the thing at that time. I guess I could gather the other info from the Garmin and figure the grade for a couple of the hills. I hate messing with gadgets and was looking for an easy way to get the information
I have the Garmin 305 and Sporttracks. I too have recently been gasping up a new hill with quite a grade. I've attached an image from Sporttracks. I've been up this hill twice now. It was a little easier the second time as I now know what to expect.

www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Free software for Garmin Edge, and quite good, too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Grade.jpg (80.8 KB, 35 views)
Old 06-18-07, 01:55 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yep. Training Center (the software that comes with the Garmin) can calculate that, although I suspect that the online services such as Sportstrak or MotionBased do it better. I think the moment by moment grade calculations that the Garmin does (which show up on the screen) probably aren't very accurate.
Old 06-18-07, 02:08 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Faust
I have the Garmin 305 and Sporttracks. I too have recently been gasping up a new hill with quite a grade. I've attached an image from Sporttracks. I've been up this hill twice now. It was a little easier the second time as I now know what to expect.

www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

Free software for Garmin Edge, and quite good, too!
Thanks. I use SportTracks. Guess I need to take a closer look at some of the reports/features within it. I just use it to collect rides and miles for reporting to the club.

-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-20-10, 03:34 PM
ChrisGleim

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
I've been using toporoute.com to check out alternative routes. It's elevation data isn't accurate when you zoom way in, but it's good for most hills. The best feature is that it snaps to the road, so it's fast to plot a route.

Here's an example, it only took 2 clicks to create: Map.

Click the Elevation button to see the elevation graph, distance, and percent grade. This climb has no dips in the middle, it's a steady climb. And the top section is actually steeper than the bottom. So the elevation data can be off by maybe 50 feet or so.
This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for! Thank you for showing me this.. I've been trying to track this down for days and this is it.
Old 08-20-10, 04:06 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris,

Also try http://ridewithgps.com/. Once you have a route in you can display an elevation profile, then as you mouse over the rpofile it will give you the %grade and highlight where it is on the map. I find this one the most powerful of all sites for route planning, as far as I know it is new - at least I did not know if it unitl a few months ago when someone here pointed me to it.
Old 08-20-10, 07:22 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
The grades calculated with mapmyride.com aren't very accurate - they don't have a fine enough grid of elevation points to get many hills right. The gps-based calculations are probably all superior.
Old 08-20-10, 08:02 PM
gtragitt

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
At one time someone posted a site where you could highlight a section of road on a map and it would give you the percentage of grade. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark it or if I did I can't find it Does anyone have the site? I want to check a couple hills in my area.
mymyride.com
Old 08-21-10, 09:26 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use the Garmon Training centre that comes standard with the Garmin 305. It may not be as pretty as some of the others but it tels me what I want to know.

Longman and butts.jpg

But it does have a fault but that is down to my riding. Go below 3mph and it stops working. So when you do get above 3mph it jumps to the Higher elevation with an increase in Gradient aswell. So keep your speed up the hills and you will be OK.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-21-10, 07:44 PM
bobthib
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
Chris,

Also try http://ridewithgps.com/. Once you have a route in you can display an elevation profile, then as you mouse over the rpofile it will give you the %grade and highlight where it is on the map. I find this one the most powerful of all sites for route planning, as far as I know it is new - at least I did not know if it unitl a few months ago when someone here pointed me to it.
I'm with Chris.