Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Nec-accessories

Old 06-18-07, 03:05 PM
DrJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nec-accessories

OK...I am getting ready to order my new first bike in 35 years. Will be riding mostly MUPs and some level dirt/gravel trails/paths. What sorts if accessories are considered "must haves" as soon as I pick up the bike? Obviously, a helmet, I would suppose. I was wondering about a water bottle and holder. Also, should I have a carry along pump? A lock (if so what kind)? Any other necesssary accessories? Thanks for any help.

Jim
Old 06-18-07, 03:09 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Oh boy, what a loaded question.

What is considered a necessity would depend on one's level of OCD. For me, I'm stilling trying to get a number of necessities by my wife.

Seriously, you need some stuff to change a tire and you do need water. That and maybe a multi-tool and a bag to put it all in and that's probably all the stuff that is truly necessary besides the helmet as you mentioned.

Then you have to make the decision of what type of tire repair you want to use. CO2 or a frame pump.
Old 06-18-07, 03:14 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pump and patch kit and knowing how to use them.

I carry a lock.Since I can't afford to replace my good bike I carry a good U-bolt lock. I even lock up on club rides when we stop for pie and brownies and my bike is surrounded by more valuable bikes. At least carry a little cable lock. I like using gloves. Eye protection is a good idea on or off road. Some way to carry this stuff. Wallet, cell phone. I carry a set of grape pruning shears I found on one ride and often clear brush blocking the path or bike lane. Bloody powerful set of lights when I might have to ride at night.
Old 06-18-07, 03:15 PM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Originally Posted by ken cummings
I carry a set of grape pruning shears.
Word!
Old 06-18-07, 03:32 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Dee Gee will tell you the most important things you should not leave home without are your cell phone and the number of a good Taxi livery. Besides helmet, eyewear and a water bottle and cage, I think you need to be able to fix a flat in the middle of nowhere, tighten whatever is loose on your bike and buy yourself something to drink and a snack. Your cell phone is not a bad idea either. I strap a rain jacket on the back of the seat in threatening weather.
Old 06-18-07, 07:28 PM
tlc20010
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

One of those little pouches that fit under your seat will hold a spare tube (faster than flat fixing) a couple of CO2 cartridges, a multi-tool, a patch kit (just in case), a few zip ties, the bar of your choice, and 5 or 10 bucks. If you have all that stuff, you may well never need any of it--cheap insurance--but if you do need it, you will be very glad you have it.
Old 06-18-07, 10:42 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Dee Gee will tell you the most important things you should not leave home without are your cell phone and the number of a good Taxi livery. Besides helmet, eyewear and a water bottle and cage, I think you need to be able to fix a flat in the middle of nowhere, tighten whatever is loose on your bike and buy yourself something to drink and a snack. Your cell phone is not a bad idea either. I strap a rain jacket on the back of the seat in threatening weather.
I have free 411 on my Treo in case we need a limo instead of a taxi. For my area it's 1-800-373-3411.

No rain jacket in our part of CA this time of year; a 3rd water bottle is a prudent substitute. Oh, and a small tube of sunscreen. And a Leatherman tool with scissors and corkscrew (this is wine country, after all).

And business cards...'cause you never know what networking opportunities present themselves. A few extra $$, just in case. It's all gotta fit in my tiny bag under my seat and in my jersey pockets, or it gets left behind.

Former Girl Scout, believing in being prepared...
Old 06-19-07, 05:02 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 9995 Post(s)
Only in California would a business card be considered for inclusion in a bicycle kit! Perhaps they should be used in the spokes.
Old 06-19-07, 06:25 AM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Only in California would a business card be considered for inclusion in a bicycle kit! Perhaps they should be used in the spokes.
Old 06-19-07, 07:28 AM
MichiganMike

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Marin Hybrid

I have a little cheap $2 first aid kit I bought at a Red Cross office when I was in there one day. Has a few bandaids, some ointment, etc. Takes up about as much room as a deck of cards (even smaller) and weighs nothing.
Old 06-19-07, 08:22 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by MichiganMike
I have a little cheap $2 first aid kit I bought at a Red Cross office when I was in there one day. Has a few bandaids, some ointment, etc. Takes up about as much room as a deck of cards (even smaller) and weighs nothing.

+1 on the first aid kit.

I've passed out many band-aids and ointment to riders who have had a minor accident along the trails. Parents with young kids who have scrapped their knees or elbows really appreciate them.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-19-07, 08:31 AM
further

Cell phone, credit card, Some form of ID with emergency info
Old 06-19-07, 10:11 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
harmonica
Old 06-19-07, 10:24 AM
DrJ

Holy cow! I guess I will have to buy a trailer to haul all of the stuff suggested so far. Really though, thanks for all the info.

Jim