Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Redline Bicycles

Old 06-19-07, 05:47 AM
RockyTopBiker
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Redline Bicycles

Does anybody have an opinion of Redline Bicycles? An aquaintenance of mine recently bought a Redline Road Bike (I don't know the model) for about $1000. He is about 70 and this was his first road bike. He rode it about ten miles and says he felt very uncomfortable and actually hated the bike. The LBS refused to take it back or give him a good deal on another bike, so he went to another LBS and bought a Raleigh Comfort Bike straight out and is trying to sell the Redline for only $500. This man is very well off and just wants rid of the bike with no hassle!! I have a very good, lady friend who is about his size and is in the market for a road bike. Typically, she loves to buy anything for half price. The problem is: I'd never heard of this brand and hesitate in recommending that she buy this bike. What do you think?

Ned
Old 06-19-07, 06:38 AM
lmzimmer

I have never heard of this bike but I would consider A> what was it is he disliked? B>I f I were here I would ask to try it out- maybe borrow for a day for a long ride. Fit could be everything. If he did not like "Road bike" and went to a comfort type that tells you more about what riding position he likes than it does about the bike. If it was set up by any reasonable bike shop in that price range I imagine it is an OK bike, but fit can be everything if it's not right.
Old 06-19-07, 07:11 AM
rodrigaj

I test rode the Redline about 3 years ago, after some 30 odd years on a steel bottechia.

It was an aluminum frame, and I remember that it was such a harsh ride, tooth rattler...but it was quite responsive and very well put together. After my steel bottechia, it was just too much for me. Since then, I have ridden on aluminum frames that are not harsh at all, and realize that geometry can temper the harsh ride. Redline obviously chooses a geometry intended for specific ride characteristics at the expense of comfort. I could not imagine doing a century on a Redline, but definitely see its potential in crits.

Redline has a niche market in cyclocross and bmx. The kids I teach think very highly of them.
Old 06-19-07, 07:33 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Which model Redline bike is it? They make a full line.
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/index.html
Old 06-19-07, 07:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran/Pacifist/Resister

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rodrigaj
I test rode the Redline about 3 years ago, after some 30 odd years on a steel bottechia.

It was an aluminum frame, and I remember that it was such a harsh ride, tooth rattler...but it was quite responsive and very well put together. After my steel bottechia, it was just too much for me. Since then, I have ridden on aluminum frames that are not harsh at all, and realize that geometry can temper the harsh ride. Redline obviously chooses a geometry intended for specific ride characteristics at the expense of comfort. I could not imagine doing a century on a Redline, but definitely see its potential in crits.

Redline has a niche market in cyclocross and bmx. The kids I teach think very highly of them.
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/conquest.html
For stiff AL frames the solution is 28 mm tires at a slightly lower pressure.
70sFollis 072/71 Bottecchia Giro d Italia/72 Zeus Competition/78 Batavus Competition/80 Mondia Super/81 AustroDaimler Olympian/82 Harding(Holdsworth) Special/84 Pinarello SuperRecord/85 EM Corsa Extra/86 DeRosa Pro/88 Falcon Race/99 Pinarello Cadore/99 Calfee TetraPro/03 Macalu Cirrus/04 Tallerico: The less ridden = '97 CoMotion tandem + city bike, mtn bike, beach cruiser
Old 06-19-07, 07:40 AM
alanbikehouston

He needs the wider version of the Specialized Body Geometry saddle. He needs to raise the bars so that his hands are level with the top of the saddle. That puts his weight on his sit bones. And, he needs to ride an hour a day, six or seven days per week. In a month, his sit bones and his saddle will be used to each other, and his bike will feel as comfortable as his sofa.

Redline bikes are as good as any bike in a given price range. If someone is unhappy with a Redline bike, they need to return to the dealer to get the bike fitted properly...the problem ain't the bike.
Old 06-19-07, 07:50 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Here's a Redline I wouldn't mind having.
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adult...ight-29er.html
Old 06-19-07, 07:52 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rodrigaj

A few of the shops in my area carry the Redline BMX bikes. I don't think I've ever seen one of their road bikes.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-19-07, 08:59 AM
oilman_15106

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
almost as obscure as the current Masi line of bikes. Did a 100 mile dealer search and lots come up but the ones I am framilar with only do the BMX thing with Redline.
Old 06-19-07, 09:39 AM
RockyTopBiker
Bikin' and Hikin'

Bikes: Lemond Reno, Diamondback Topanga Mountain Bike

I checked out the Redline website. The guy who bought the bike is, like I said, about 70, short and failry heavy. He loves to ride and has plenty of money. He has bought several bikes and is evidentially looking for something easier to ride without putting the effort to get in real good shape. He told me that the LBS did aboslutely nothing in the way of fitting him to the bike. When he told me that he had ridden only ten miles before giving up, I begged him to "keep at it!" He said that he hated it and was finished with it!! The lady in question is an aerobic and fitness instructor, and is in excellent condition, but know nothing about bicycles although she has rode an old Schwinn hybrid on a century last winter. She might buy ithe Redline because she likes the color or the price and not pay much attention to the fit. Since I don't want her to rush into something because of my say-so, I was just hoping to find out if Redline is a reputable company and parts and service will be available in the future.
Old 06-19-07, 10:11 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have a well established LBS that has been selling Redlines for years. They are very high on the bikes.

LBS is Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI. They tend to carry different lines than most shops, like Redline, Kestrel, Panasonic, Nagasawa, but also carry Bianchi, Raleigh, and Waterford/Gunnar. They also more prominently feature Campagnolo gear in the store than most shops.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/

The bikes didn't do anything for me, I didn't even test ride one! Personally I don't like this LBS because I feel they are arrogant, but I know many others who favor them.

Given that this LBS tends to favor higher-end gear, has been around for a long time, and likes Redline, that indicates to me that it is likely a good quality bike.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-19-07, 04:00 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Redline makes several excellent quality road bikes, as well as the other bikes noted above. My wife rides a Redline Conquest D (i.e. road bike with disc brakes) on centuries and double centuries and just loves it!

I had to fine tune the riding position a bit for her, but no more than I would have done with any production bike. Of course, she really, really loves the disc brakes, which make it easier for her to brake on rough descents (Drum Canyon comes to mind).

She'll be out on the Grand Tour Double Century this coming weekend (Malibu to Moorpark to Ojai to Casedas Pass to Rincon to Malibu), so look for a red Redline Conquest D if on the Grand Tour Double this weekend!

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-19-07, 04:50 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Redline has produced good quality bicycles for a long time.

I think their original focus was BMX raceing bikes. They have gradually expanded their line into cyclecross bikes and single speed bikes. My guess is that Redline road bikes are new.

I wouldn't be afraid of buying a Redline road bike provided it was the right size.
Old 06-19-07, 05:42 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
The two bike shops in my area that sell Redline are very reputable. One of them is my ATF LBS. They speak very highly of the line and they are VERY knowlegeable. I think your freind should take the bike on a ride and see if she is comfortable with it. She might want to do it soon before the owner starts riding the Raleigh, realizes he made a mistake and decides to keep the Redline.