Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Water bottle tops

Old 06-19-07, 10:44 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Water bottle tops

While on the water bottle topic, between my wife and I we have a number of bottles, none of which are exactly the same. The problem is that after washing them, I can never remember which top goes with which bottle. Some of the tops and bottle combos seem to be interchangeable, but others are just different enough that they don't quite fit and I end up trying every possible combination until it feels like they're all screwed on right -- or maybe not.

Anyone else driven nuts by this kind of thing? Any simple solutions?
Old 06-19-07, 11:15 AM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 9995 Post(s)
Yes, but usually you can look at the threads and see that some bottles have corse threads and some have less corse threads.

The thing that drives me nuts is the aluminium bottle that I bought that rattles in the cage loud enough that I don't need a bell on the trail. That one has been retired.
Old 06-19-07, 11:24 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Yes, but usually you can look at the threads and see that some bottles have corse threads and some have less corse threads.

The thing that drives me nuts is the aluminium bottle that I bought that rattles in the cage loud enough that I don't need a bell on the trail. That one has been retired.

I only buy one bottle- a Zefal. problem is getting the extra covers to goover the normal spout- they take some finding. but all tops fit all bottles.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-19-07, 11:34 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Come up with an identification system (dots, letters, number or whatever you like), and with a permanent marker, mark the tops and bottles that work together with the same markings. For example, if you have four kinds of bottles, use A, B, C and D. Put "A" tops on "A" bottles and so on.
Old 06-19-07, 12:28 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You wash them???
Old 06-19-07, 12:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
I can't use any bottle that can't be squeezed. My wife bought me a very nice rigid camelback bottle, but I can't use it because it can't be squeezed. When I'm riding or skiing, I can't suck on a bottle to get water, I need to squeeze it into my mouth (sometimes sucking too). Oh the minutae we obsess on!

But wait there's more....

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Come up with an identification system (dots, letters, number or whatever you like), and with a permanent marker, mark the tops and bottles that work together with the same markings. For example, if you have four kinds of bottles, use A, B, C and D. Put "A" tops on "A" bottles and so on.
Hey, nail polish works great - it is visible on any color (try to find a marker that you can read against a black background). I know for a fact it is very diswasher resistant because I marked the end of one of my kitchen knives so it can be readily identified when it's in the storage block. Yes, I wash my kitchen knives in the diswasher. I don't believe in owning any kitchen item that can't be - and I don't believe in owning clothing that can't be washed in the washing machine.
Old 06-19-07, 01:18 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Get a sharpie or a Bic Markit, and make a series of marks on the water bottle and top, and make the marks on each bottle and top combo different. Ie one bottle and top both have one mark. Another have two marks, another have 3 marks.
Old 06-19-07, 02:06 PM
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 9995 Post(s)
I have the ultimate OCP answer. When the bottle is empty, throw it to the crowd. This way you will always start with a new bottle and matching top. You will also be much farther along on justifying you matching kit of jersey, bibs, frame and water bottle.
Old 06-19-07, 02:11 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the ultimate OCP answer. When the bottle is empty, throw it to the crowd. This way you will always start with a new bottle and matching top. You will also be much farther along on justifying you matching kit of jersey, bibs, frame and water bottle.
Or they could just throw all the tops into a bowl and hunt for one that fits like I do If I've gone through all the lids and one doesn't fit I just throw the bottle out.....must have lost it's lid somewhere. Water bottles seem to multiply in my garage so this isn't a big problem. I get them at biking events, the park gives them away, etc.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-19-07, 02:19 PM
Thrifty1

All (12) of our Polar lids/caps fit on all (12) of our Polar bottles.......
Old 06-19-07, 02:48 PM
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Thrifty1
All (12) of our Polar lids/caps fit on all (12) of our Polar bottles.......
I have but 4 Polar bottles, and yes, the lids are indeed interchangable
Old 06-19-07, 04:20 PM
Thrifty1

Originally Posted by webist
I have but 4 Polar bottles, and yes, the lids are indeed interchangable
We (wife and and I) have 6 bicycles with 2 color coordinated bottles per bike.....
Old 06-19-07, 04:45 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
The nice thing about water bottles is that nobody has made a $50 carbon fiber one yet. They're still cheap.

Why don't you buy as many as you think that you need that are all the same? Then throw the old ones away.
Old 06-19-07, 05:58 PM
RoMad

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

I have many many water bottles and they all take the same lids. I use my sons old Gatorade bottles. I don't like the plastic taste of the others. I peel the labels off of the bottles and they look just fine (to me anyway)
Old 06-19-07, 07:57 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace, Cannondle Tandem/Ultegra, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
I don't like and don't use water bottles with screw on tops. They seem to leak more and also are more vulnerable to coming off. I'm a big fan of Specialized bottles with the snap on tops and soft rubber tip that is easy on your teeth.
Old 06-19-07, 08:11 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Recycled Gatorade bottles, all tops interchange, one given to me by a restaurant owner, much bigger and easy to distinguish. Some of my ancestors were Scotch.
Old 06-20-07, 08:45 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Ii have so bottles from the 80s that have the tops attached. Seems like a good idea. I wonder why they aren't made that way now.
Old 06-20-07, 09:47 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

It sounds like your water bottles and tops are all plastic. Heat up a small soldering iron or wood burning gun and lightly scratch the same number or letter into both the top and the bottle. Use a different number or letter for each bottle and cap. Go easy with the hot iron on the bottle if the plastic is thin. Find the thickest part of the bottle for marking. Marker pens and paint will eventually fade or come off.