Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Transition lenses

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Transition lenses

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 07:04 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Transition lenses

It was really sunny here last week, and after watching me all weekend constantly having to switch from my regular glasses to my prescription sunglasses all the time as we went in and out of doors, my wife finally said "why don't you get a pair with transition lenses?". That would sure make things a lot easier. I know that they don't work for driving since the windshield screens out the UV that activates them, but that is not the problem I was having over the weekend. It also seems like they'd be great for my bicycling since I wouldn't have to carry the other pair with me, which I usually have to do in case I stop in somewhere for a coffee or whatever.

So does anyone here use prescription transition sunglasses while riding? How do they work for you?
Old 07-25-07, 07:22 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Great, wouldn't live without them.
Old 07-25-07, 07:36 AM

Bikes: 88 Fisher Gemini tandem, 92 Trek 970, 07 Nashbar Frame, 08 Gary Fisher Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have them along with polarized clip-ons that are built into the frame. I have one Amber Set and one Dark Gray set. Alas the company that makes them no longer does. I've had two sets of these in the past 3 years and loved them. The Amber clip-ons work the best while riding because I get better contrast with the colored lens.

Chris
Old 07-25-07, 07:46 AM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yep, ride with mine on all the time.
Old 07-25-07, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There've been a few iterations of Transitions.
Let's see... there was Transitions I. They flat out stunk. Then came II, which were better but still fell far short. I don't know what they're on now -III? IV?- but they just about have it right. Granted, I'm comparing them to the original Photo Grays, which were absolutely fantastic and spoiled me for life. Problem is, PhotoGrays only work in glass lenses and mine were getting a little too heavy.

I'm very, very happy with the new Transitions and they work great on the bike.
Mine, too, came with a pair of clip-on polarized which I use for really bright days
Old 07-25-07, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both the Transitions and another pair of Rx sunglasses. For most days the Transitions are just fine, but for days when I'm going to be out five or more hours in very bright sunlight, I opt for the Rx sunglasses. They are a bit darker thant the Transitions will get.
Old 07-25-07, 10:08 AM

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I absolutely love mine. Ride all the time with them.

torgrot
Old 07-25-07, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
I have both the Transitions and another pair of Rx sunglasses. For most days the Transitions are just fine, but for days when I'm going to be out five or more hours in very bright sunlight, I opt for the Rx sunglasses. They are a bit darker than the Transitions will get.
+1
Old 07-25-07, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Transition bi-focals. Yes siree!!! Wonderful
Hockey
Old 07-25-07, 12:55 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't wear glasses all the time (just close-up riding, distance viewing, and TV/movies) but my sunglasses are prescription and are dark (progressive bi-focals). Transition glasses would be just the thing for me when I ride before sunset while the sun is still up and I'm still riding when it's starting to get dark.
Old 07-26-07, 11:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see. I have my regular glasses, then I have my transition lenses, then I have my prescription sunglasses when it's really bright out... Huh?
Old 07-26-07, 01:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use transition lenses with my progressive bifocals. They work well. One thing a lot of people don't realise is that the transitions are affected by temperature as well as light. Mine get considerably darker in cold weather, not so much in warmer weather. So I end up using clip ons in the summer.
Old 07-26-07, 04:18 PM
Cathedral City, CA

Bikes: 2016 RITCHEY BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11, STOLEN), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been wearing multi-lens sunglesses for the past couple of years. I have dark grey, yellow and clear lens. I don't use the clear ones as the yellow ones work much better for after dark. Would Transitions lens be a good substitute instead of swapping yellow for dark grey and back?
Old 07-26-07, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Transitions work great on the bike and in the car (they do lighten/darken while driving) . . . just a bit slow changing when you go through a long tunnel).
I use the no-line tri-focals (progressive) lenses.
Old 07-26-07, 05:17 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm still wearing the glass photogreys and they are my life. I have been wearing them since the late 70's and every time I get new glasses they try to talk me into plastic with transitions and I have to get almost rude to get the glass, now granted my prescription isn't real strong but I still need glasses. I wouldn't wear anything else. My next ones are going to be the progressive bifocal with the photo grey
Old 07-26-07, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered a pair of transitions progressives today~
Old 07-26-07, 08:49 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I had them and thought they were OK, but a little bit of a pain indoors, in bright rooms when they activated. Perhaps newer models have corrected this issue. I currently have the sunglass clip on that attaches to my Rx glasses at the bridge using a magnet. Excellent choice for cycling and driving.
Old 07-26-07, 09:22 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
I had them and thought they were OK, but a little bit of a pain indoors, in bright rooms when they activated. Perhaps newer models have corrected this issue. I currently have the sunglass clip on that attaches to my Rx glasses at the bridge using a magnet. Excellent choice for cycling and driving.
I'm thinking of doing that the next time I get glasses. I've got the transition lenses now. As someone said, they work better when it's cooler and don't while I'm driving. Also if you're going to be in an outdoor picture it's likely the lenses will be dark
Old 07-26-07, 09:45 PM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One of the best things about the transitions or photogrey is that I never have to look for my sunglasses and Yep the drawback is every picture that been taken outdoors that I have been in since about 1980 I'm wearing shades even my last wedding oh well nobody has taken offense and everybody knows me that way and my eyes love me and that's what counts. Oh yeah and the wife doesn't seem to have had a problem with it
Old 08-07-07, 01:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my new glasses with Transition lenses yesterday. I REALLY like them. I had lost my prescription polarized because of the switching back and forth thing while visiting my mother in the hospital a few weeks ago. I've also had clip-ons in the past and the Transitions are the best compromise for me.

Becky
Old 08-07-07, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Indoors? I have never had a "problem" with my transitions indoors.
AFAIK, they are UV activated. There's no UV in florescent lighting, is there?