Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Just plain habit forming........

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 07:11 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I suppose this cycling stuff just gets in your system to where some things just become habitual.

Since I'm out of town for a few days I stopped by a grocery store to get some snacks to take back to the villa........and what do I bring home???? Bananas and oranges. A few years ago it would have been a bag of Peanut M&M's, Cracker jacks, chips and salsa, etc.

For lunch I hunted for somewhere that served up stuff like turkey or grilled chicken sandwiches-or non burger and fried stuff.

For supper instead of getting a juicy, delicious ribeye steak (they smelled really terrific) I wound up with grilled grouper and a salad-but really enjoyed it. I noticed coming home I felt like I had eaten plenty but not gloated.

And I look across the room and what do I see? One of my bikes with extra wheels in bike bags against the wall.

Gotta wonder how long these types of habits are going to last.............
Old 06-20-07, 07:20 PM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Hopefully for a long time my friend... Your taste do change in time to where the junk just doesn't taste as good as something like bananas and oranges - which are even better down here by the way.
Old 06-20-07, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ssssshhhhh. Good grief, ya got to be careful and keep this quiet. The next thing you know the Surgeon General will make them put a warning label on bicycles saying they can be habit forming. And then the govt. will want to put a special tax on them. Soon the only place you'll be able to get the fuel you need to feed your addiction will be from the black market. Prices will go so high that only the rich and famous will be able to afford cycling.
Old 06-20-07, 07:58 PM
The Grampster

Bikes: Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you ever wonder how people who are not obsessed with biking ever enjoy life? You forgot to mention that endorphin high that one can get addicted to all too easily....... I hope we never get over it.
Old 06-20-07, 08:16 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no way I thought I'd end up reading the ingredients label of every package of processed food that enters the house, but I do these days. I'm planning on my healthier eating being a lifetime thing, just like my riding. We'll see...
Old 06-20-07, 08:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are a better man than I am. A 100 mile ride justifies a Rib eye steak (or 18 oz. porterhouse) plus bottle of the finest CA wine.
Old 06-20-07, 08:39 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm afraid the healthy food habit hit me years ago and it just seems to get worse each year. I was 40+, overweight, non-exercising smoker who decided something had to change before I started having serious health problems. I made some lifestyle changes and haven't regretted it for one day

I still have the ocassional junk food but it's just not part of my everyday food and I haven't missed it. I now find that eating anything like that often makes me feel ill. I'll take fish and veggies over burgers and fries any day

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-20-07, 09:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
I'm afraid the healthy food habit hit me years ago and it just seems to get worse each year. I was 40+, overweight, non-exercising smoker who decided something had to change before I started having serious health problems. I made some lifestyle changes and haven't regretted it for one day

I still have the ocassional junk food but it's just not part of my everyday food and I haven't missed it. I now find that eating anything like that often makes me feel ill. I'll take fish and veggies over burgers and fries any day
OK, Beverly. How about a nice lean rare Angus steak? (The one where they massage the cows with beer)
First class Idaho potato to good to put anything on?
A nice crisp Icelantic garden salad, hold the cheese and the cutons?
A bottle of Robert Mondavi Reserve from Napa Valley?
Some assorted high quality Wisconsin Cheeses?

Last edited by will dehne; 06-20-07 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 11:15 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Welcome to the dark side. There are no trans-fats, fried foods, or junk here. We love our plain nonfat yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, fresh fruit and fresh veggie diet here. We eat clean, lean and low-glycemic-index here. We knew you were hooked when you climbed so many thousands of feet in your last ride. Yeah, you ignored us for years, but we knew you'd be here eventually. Thanks for not making us wait too long.
Old 06-20-07, 11:16 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
OK, Beverly. How about a nice lean rare Angus steak? (The one where they massage the cows with beer)
Make it Zinfandel and Callifornia cheese and I'm in!
Old 06-21-07, 06:20 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drop the potato and give me a call when it's ready

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-21-07, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts

Now you know how to live, as well, as ride.
Old 06-21-07, 07:00 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, my favorite dinner would be:

Ahi Tuna seared with sesame seeds crust
Caesar Salad - including anchovy
Bottle of 1986 Silver Oak Cabernet

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-21-07, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling is indeed habit forming. There are days I ride beyond 40 + miles that tells me to go for 50 or so. Since I have ridden that 60 miles couple of weeks ago, I have been itching to go for more. I set a goal of 150 miles per week and last week I did 193 and this week I'm only 85 miles short of that goal and I know I'll ride that easily in 2 days. Possibly in one day?
Old 06-21-07, 07:42 AM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Hmm, my favorite dinner would be:

Ahi Tuna seared with sesame seeds crust
Caesar Salad - including anchovy
Bottle of 1986 Silver Oak Cabernet
Sounds good to me but I do choose salmon over tuna most of the time

-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-21-07, 07:59 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I lived in San Fransisco you could head down to Half Moon Bay and get fresh salmon right off the boat when they cam in, in the evening. They would even clean it for you, I like salmon too, but fresh tuna is my favorite.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-21-07, 08:35 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Yesterday...I went the other direction. I attended a men's club luncheon at Silverado Country Club in Napa Valley. Most CC food is so so, but Silverado has an award winning chef who prepares the lunch. It was a culinary delight consisting of Napa Valley wine, appetizer, salad, grilled pork loin over noodles and a mousse with dark chocolate accents. During the pre-meal networking session, three wines served; one white and two reds. During the lunch, one of the members who owns a winery, brought a magnum of one of his special reds - fabulous. The golf course is in great shape and the weather yesterday was picture perfect. I went to the gym last night and light dinner consisting of Insalata Caprese made with buffalo mozzarello and a salad. Today...water.
Old 06-21-07, 08:55 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rider
Welcome to the dark side. There are no trans-fats, fried foods, or junk here. We love our plain nonfat yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, fresh fruit and fresh veggie diet here. We eat clean, lean and low-glycemic-index here. We knew you were hooked when you climbed so many thousands of feet in your last ride. Yeah, you ignored us for years, but we knew you'd be here eventually. Thanks for not making us wait too long.
Actually, I don't eat my daily yogurt plain these days. I buy it plain, but then I add cacao powder and agave nectar. Good stuff.
Old 06-21-07, 09:25 AM
Senior Member ??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
Actually, I don't eat my daily yogurt plain these days. I buy it plain, but then I add cacao powder and agave nectar. Good stuff.
I could binge on Greek yogurt I buy it at Trader Joe's and add fresh pineapple.
https://fageusa.com/products.html

-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-21-07, 09:29 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
We take raw milk straight from Elsie and add a tablespoon of plain active yogurt, the next day - lots of yogurt. Good stuff.

There is something down here called Leche Agria (soured milk) which is a lot like butter milk. Rawmilk kept at 115 F until morning - REALLY good stuff as a base for fruit smoothies...
Old 06-21-07, 09:32 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I forgot to mention that I was sitting at a Bar in the restaurant overlooking the marsh while eating. I noticed that I was the only one just drinking water.........

I do really like WillD's steak, potato and wine menu though. Maybe after this weekend's butt kicker.
Old 06-21-07, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still working on all the above, definitely I'm doing better than a few years ago, but mocha's are my big down fall, along with most anything chocolate. But being hooked on biking is really great!
Old 06-21-07, 10:06 AM
Wheezing Geezer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnH
I'm still working on all the above, definitely I'm doing better than a few years ago, but mocha's are my big down fall, along with most anything chocolate. But being hooked on biking is really great!
Ok, y'all are making me hungry. I, too, am a chocolate lover. I figured if I was going to eat chocolate, it might as well be the healthiest version of it that I could think of. Hence, cacao powder in yogurt.

I've also created a fudge recipe with the cacao powder that includes cashew butter, peanut butter, coconut butter, walnuts, oats, and agave. It's wonderful stuff, but has just too much fat to eat every day, so I get my daily chocolate fix from my yogurt.
Old 06-21-07, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I use to chase down anywhere they were suppose to have the best hamburgers. Now it almost all chicken, but I got a real bad sweet tooth, I keep trying to work on, but I can't get pass 3 days. I'll have to keep working on that one.
Old 06-21-07, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Beverly-
We will be visiting our Son this July 4th. Any good restaurants with Salmon in the area of YS, Xenia or Springfield?
We tried the Outback in that area. It was mobbed. I have never seen so many people in a place standing and waiting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.