Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trekking Handlebars

Old 06-20-07, 08:37 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Trekking Handlebars

We've chatted about this from time to time. I know George has been playing around with a pair.

I came across this in another forum and liked the look and possibilities such a bar could give to a bike. Lots of hand positions if one tapes it up. The ones I've seen before set up up in a more vertical to forward leaning position. I've never seen one set up like this one before.

This particular bar is an REI Safari handlebar, which I believe sells for around $20. The owner said it takes mountain bike accessories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trekbar.jpg (43.4 KB, 102 views)

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-20-07, 08:41 PM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I think they are great. I hardly use the grips anymore. I gave the bars a double wrap and I don't have to wear gloves if I don't want to.
Old 06-20-07, 10:26 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
I like the looks and theory of them, but ultimately went with a moustach. LBS couldn't find the treking bars with his vendors, and I'm fairly loyal. I've really found only one hand position, but it is very good, especially when matched with good grips instead of tape.
Old 06-20-07, 10:36 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

The moustache bars that I've found took road bike bar accessories. Is the same true for yours?

I tried out a Jamis with moustache bars a couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed the ride, but am concerned that the sweep is too severe and doesn't leave my hands in the best ergonomic position. But would have to ride them a lot more to know.

I'm toying with the idea of ordering a Nitto Dove bar (along with a dark chocolate Dove bar). Not quite as much sweep as an albatross bar, but still a lot.

I saw a bike with a Dove bar and liked it. I would put on a pair of comfy grips for the main hand position and wrap much of the rest to provide alternate positions. Perhaps try an interestingly placed set of bar ends somewhere along the bars, maybe just inside of the curves.
Old 06-21-07, 12:49 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
FWIW, perhaps not much, some comments on Dove/Albatross, Mustache and Safari-like bars: I have all three on bikes right now, left over from some midwinter fooling around when it was too cold to ride (actually the Safari-like ones are old Scott MB bars; I think the model was ST-4 or AT-4, but they're very similar).
I had the 'staches on my Atlantis, and they were good for short rides but lacked a variety of hand positions for longer ones--I could only find two, and just one of those was comfortable. I put them on my singlespeed, which rarely goes more than eight or 10 miles, and they're fine.
The Albatross is on an old mountain bike with fenders and a rack, kept at work and used around town and on the bike path. I put on Rivendell cork grips, then taped the rest of the bars except where the thumbshifters are (they move around a little; they're next to the stem now but probably aren't going to stay there). The bars have a little too much sweepback for me--I'm too upright when I use the grips. There's room to cut them off, but I don't think I can get the grips off without destroying them. Next time I do major work on that bike, I'll probably either swap the stem for a longer one or cut an inch or so off the ends of the bars. The general shape is surprisingly good, though--good visibility when I'm riding on the grips, but I can still get pretty aero by moving my hands down onto the flat near the stem.
The Scott/Safari has been a pleasant surprise. I bought it at least 15 years ago and used it for awhile on an old MB, but removed it when I sold the bike; I forgot I had it until I was poking around the garage looking for something to do. I think I may nut up and put that on the Atlantis, which goes on- and off-road and does an occasional day tour (usually 40-50 miles). But the bike looks so good now, with 50cm drop bars with cotton tape and shellac, that I'm reluctant to change it.
Old 06-21-07, 01:35 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Reads like you haven't tried the Dove bar, which is a different riding experience than an albatross bar, having about 15 or so degrees less sweep. Here's the Rivendell pic of the Albatross bar, showing nearly 90 degrees of sweep. The Dove is definitely less, but I'd like to find one that is another 10-15 degrees less than it.

I do appreciate you sharing your opinions. Riding the moustache, which also had near 90 degrees, put some stress on my wrists.

The trek bar looks like it has 3 or 4 hand positions. I'm concerned about using the positin where the pic in my 1st post shows the handgrips. That looks awfully close to the seat, don't know how usable it is.

Old 06-21-07, 02:22 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just put these on my road bike last Sunday...so far, they've been great.
Old 06-21-07, 02:28 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Ack! A drop bar has found its way into my thread!
Old 06-21-07, 02:31 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

I'm deleting my post asking for a source for a good quality North Road bar, something better than a Wald, because right after I typed it, I searched and found one. I've searched before and not found this one. Apparently Nitto makes one which they call a North Road, although it isn't shaped like any North Road bar I've seen before.

The second is a "trekking" bar from Dimension that has the sweep in the range that I'd like to try, but lacks other hand positions.
Attached Images
northroad.jpg (12.3 KB, 17 views)
trekkingbar.jpg (12.8 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-21-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-21-07, 02:55 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Ack! A sleek, sexy, carbon fiber drop bar has found its way into my thread!
Fixed your typo above.
Old 06-21-07, 06:28 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

There are many sleek and sexy things which are not necessarily a good thing to indulge.
Old 06-21-07, 07:03 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

There are many sleek and sexy things which are not necessarily a good thing to indulge.
And many that are! Thankfully, as a single man, I'm free to indulge my whims and desires.
Old 06-21-07, 07:10 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Apparently there are two Nitto North Road bars. The HB1009, pictured above, and the HB1008, shown below. The 1008 has more of a classic design. It can be flipped & used in the classic North Road riser bar position.
Attached Images
northroad.jpg (10.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-21-07, 07:18 PM
Joe Dog
One Hep Cat

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)

Not 50 but...

I mounted a set of trekking bars on my wife's Cannondale. Here is a thread with some lousy photos of the bike/bars. We like them - they are wider, which she likes, and offer many hand positions, which I like when I borrow her bike.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=294031

These are Nashbar house-brand trekking bars and re-used her brake levers, so that's about -50 OCP points, but it works well, so count that as +50 utility bike points to off-set that little issue.

Website
Old 06-21-07, 08:07 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

How can I not trust anyone with that avatar?

- Tom Bombadil, proud UW-Madison employee
Old 06-21-07, 09:06 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
The second is a "trekking" bar from Dimension that has the sweep in the range that I'd like to try, but lacks other hand positions.
Bar middles would be one way to add more hand positions. That bar does look like a comfortable one.
Old 06-22-07, 04:22 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Don't listen to Tom, his brain is gone!

Road Fan
Old 06-22-07, 05:57 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I bought one of those to try on my Trek 970 project bike. I like the sweep.
Old 06-22-07, 06:52 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Don't listen to Tom, his brain is gone!
Good point!
Old 06-22-07, 09:15 PM
Joe Dog
One Hep Cat

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)

How can I not trust anyone with that avatar?

- Tom Bombadil, proud UW-Madison employee
On Wisconsin!

Website
Old 06-23-07, 08:06 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Apparently there are two Nitto North Road bars. The HB1009, pictured above, and the HB1008, shown below. The 1008 has more of a classic design. It can be flipped & used in the classic North Road riser bar position.
Tom,
The Nitto offerings are very fine. The alloy model width is different than the Wald #8095, narrower by 1", but they are the classic NR's in every other respect.
Old 06-23-07, 08:41 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Thanks for confirming this. I may have to pick up a pair.