Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ride quality of Robaix

Old 06-20-07, 11:05 PM
further

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride quality of Robaix

I read the tests and the owners reports, kind of thought they might be overstated. Bought the bike and have been amazed ever since. Today I rode the hilly route and on the downhills, while tucked in, was getting bucked off the bike when the rear wheel would hit a bump. I was at a bit of a loss over how my smooooth riding bike was kicking me. After a bit of thought I realized that I never used to sit on the seat while going fast. I'd hit about twenty five or so on a normal road with some bumps, and put all my weight on the pedals, not quite standing but not sitting. Well now I'm sitting right down, hugging the bike, when the rear wheel hits the bumps it isn't so much of a shock, but more of a push...straight up...thought I was going over the bars.Going to have watch that
Old 06-21-07, 04:35 AM
BSLeVan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think with any really stiff frame you have this possibility, and if you're talking about the Specialized Roubaix, it's pretty stiff. I have the same experience on my Roubaix. However, my steel frame is much kinder in those situations. When on my Roubaix and in a fast decent I tend to move my weight back and slightly behind the seat. This also allows me to brake much harder should I need to.