Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Yet another way to drip sweat and make your legs hurt. (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/312395-yet-another-way-drip-sweat-make-your-legs-hurt.html)

Terrierman 06-21-07 06:15 PM

Yet another way to drip sweat and make your legs hurt.

I didn't have much time to ride tonight and felt the need to drip sweat. Rolling hills around here. Recipe for maximum sweat in minimum time is to stop at the bottom of each roller and see how fast in how high a gear can you make it up to on the hill. Whee down the next one and repeat. Made my skin leak pretty good, the 90 temp didn't hurt in that effort either. Sucks the wind right out of me too.

crtreedude 06-21-07 06:25 PM

That is a very good one. The one that has my legs still with a dull ache is going up a mountain for 15 kilometers on a rocky road in a rainstorm. I have figured out the rainstorm was keeping nice and cool so I completely trashed my legs.

Beverly 06-21-07 06:29 PM

WTG!! That's a great way to get in a good workout in the least amount of time.

oilman_15106 06-21-07 08:45 PM

Good idea. I also do this when time is dear. 10 miles of buzzing around the neighborhood. 1000 feet of elevation gain on the loop. I change my rear cassette from a 25 to a 23 to make the workout harder.

Tom Bombadil 06-21-07 10:16 PM

I just don't understand why you would want to do that.

My ride today was to ride 2.5 miles from my office to a nice little restaurant, along the Madison lakefront on the bike paths. Had to hustle back when rain rolled in, only caught the light, leading edge of it. It was 77 with a light wind & cloudy. Very peaceful little 5-miler. Got there much faster than if I had used my car.

I did find that I was riding 1-2 gears higher than I was a couple of months ago on the same paths. Got a little coasting in too!

No 90 degrees, no hills, no sweating.

Yen 06-21-07 10:34 PM

Would that be called "interval conditioning"?

I noticed a big rise in my endurance after we bought our treadmill and I started walking intervals, and even more since we ride our bikes longer distances every weekend. Today at work I walked up 2 flights of stairs after already walking briskly for 5 minutes (and taking 2 other flights of stairs along the way), in lower 90s temps, and my HR and breathing weren't nearly as high as it was a few months ago when I reached the top of the last flight of stairs.

BSLeVan 06-22-07 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Terrierman
Recipe for maximum sweat in minimum time is to stop at the bottom of each roller and see how fast in how high a gear can you make it up the hill. Whee down the next one and repeat.

Sounds like sex. Well... for some people that is.

I live in a development with a two mile loop surrounding it. There is an elevation gain of about 800 ft. There have been days when I've simply gone out and done 20 laps. It does get your heart beating.

Terrierman 06-22-07 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I just don't understand why you would want to do that.

My ride today was to ride 2.5 miles from my office to a nice little restaurant, along the Madison lakefront on the bike paths. Had to hustle back when rain rolled in, only caught the light, leading edge of it. It was 77 with a light wind & cloudy. Very peaceful little 5-miler. Got there much faster than if I had used my car.

I did find that I was riding 1-2 gears higher than I was a couple of months ago on the same paths. Got a little coasting in too!

No 90 degrees, no hills, no sweating.

I like that sort of riding a lot too. But I also have to say that dripping sweat and making my legs hurt makes me feel good when it's over. Plus I'm really wanting to be able to do the century next weekend and a little bit of extra conditioning can't hurt.

BluesDawg 06-22-07 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Terrierman
I like that sort of riding a lot too. But I also have to say that dripping sweat and making my legs hurt makes me feel good when it's over. Plus I'm really wanting to be able to do the century next weekend and a little bit of extra conditioning can't hurt.

+1
Easy rides are great and very enjoyable, but it's the ones where I push myself to sweat and get the heart pumping and the legs burning that really make me feel better in the long run. Besides, you can't get that endorphin buzz without working it.