Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yet another way to drip sweat and make your legs hurt.

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-21-07, 06:15 PM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I didn't have much time to ride tonight and felt the need to drip sweat. Rolling hills around here. Recipe for maximum sweat in minimum time is to stop at the bottom of each roller and see how fast in how high a gear can you make it up to on the hill. Whee down the next one and repeat. Made my skin leak pretty good, the 90 temp didn't hurt in that effort either. Sucks the wind right out of me too.
Old 06-21-07, 06:25 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a very good one. The one that has my legs still with a dull ache is going up a mountain for 15 kilometers on a rocky road in a rainstorm. I have figured out the rainstorm was keeping nice and cool so I completely trashed my legs.
Old 06-21-07, 06:29 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WTG!! That's a great way to get in a good workout in the least amount of time.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-21-07, 08:45 PM
oilman_15106

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea. I also do this when time is dear. 10 miles of buzzing around the neighborhood. 1000 feet of elevation gain on the loop. I change my rear cassette from a 25 to a 23 to make the workout harder.
Old 06-21-07, 10:16 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just don't understand why you would want to do that.

My ride today was to ride 2.5 miles from my office to a nice little restaurant, along the Madison lakefront on the bike paths. Had to hustle back when rain rolled in, only caught the light, leading edge of it. It was 77 with a light wind & cloudy. Very peaceful little 5-miler. Got there much faster than if I had used my car.

I did find that I was riding 1-2 gears higher than I was a couple of months ago on the same paths. Got a little coasting in too!

No 90 degrees, no hills, no sweating.
Old 06-21-07, 10:34 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would that be called "interval conditioning"?

I noticed a big rise in my endurance after we bought our treadmill and I started walking intervals, and even more since we ride our bikes longer distances every weekend. Today at work I walked up 2 flights of stairs after already walking briskly for 5 minutes (and taking 2 other flights of stairs along the way), in lower 90s temps, and my HR and breathing weren't nearly as high as it was a few months ago when I reached the top of the last flight of stairs.
Old 06-22-07, 05:34 AM
BSLeVan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Recipe for maximum sweat in minimum time is to stop at the bottom of each roller and see how fast in how high a gear can you make it up the hill. Whee down the next one and repeat.
Sounds like sex. Well... for some people that is.

I live in a development with a two mile loop surrounding it. There is an elevation gain of about 800 ft. There have been days when I've simply gone out and done 20 laps. It does get your heart beating.
Old 06-22-07, 06:10 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I just don't understand why you would want to do that.

My ride today was to ride 2.5 miles from my office to a nice little restaurant, along the Madison lakefront on the bike paths. Had to hustle back when rain rolled in, only caught the light, leading edge of it. It was 77 with a light wind & cloudy. Very peaceful little 5-miler. Got there much faster than if I had used my car.

I did find that I was riding 1-2 gears higher than I was a couple of months ago on the same paths. Got a little coasting in too!

No 90 degrees, no hills, no sweating.
I like that sort of riding a lot too. But I also have to say that dripping sweat and making my legs hurt makes me feel good when it's over. Plus I'm really wanting to be able to do the century next weekend and a little bit of extra conditioning can't hurt.
Old 06-22-07, 07:48 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
I like that sort of riding a lot too. But I also have to say that dripping sweat and making my legs hurt makes me feel good when it's over. Plus I'm really wanting to be able to do the century next weekend and a little bit of extra conditioning can't hurt.
+1
Easy rides are great and very enjoyable, but it's the ones where I push myself to sweat and get the heart pumping and the legs burning that really make me feel better in the long run. Besides, you can't get that endorphin buzz without working it.