Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Didn't Want to Ride Today - Anyone Else?

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you ever feel as if you "just can't ride?"
I can ALWAYS ride, no matter what!
17.39%
I rarely just can't get on that bike.
30.43%
I sometimes just can't get on that bike.
45.65%
I frequently can't get on that bike.
2.17%
Some other response, please explain below.
4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-07, 07:36 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been hitting the riding pretty hard the past few weeks, and today (after a poor night's sleep), I just couldn't bring myself to ride the bicycle.

So, I took a lovely 2.5 mile walk.

Anyone else ever have the feeling that you just can't ride somedays?

If so, why?

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-22-07 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-22-07, 07:46 AM
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I said the same thing after my ride last night. I rode 5 days in a row and with the new bike I was pushing pretty hard and it has been HOT and windy. So tonight I'm cracking open a bottle of wine, watching a movie and taking it easy. I will also not ride tomorrow since Sat is yard work day for me. Back on the bike Sunday for a nice easy ride up A1A.

I find that I get mentally burned out as well as physically if I ride too much, so I don't mind taking a couple of days in row off.

2013 Noah RS
Old 06-22-07, 07:55 AM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually ride 5 days each week and seldom feel like I just can't get on the bike.

I'm missing the usual Friday morning ride as we're finally getting some rain here This probably means the mountain bike ride is off for tomorrow morning but I'll just do the park ride as they ride rain or shine.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-22-07, 08:54 AM
SaiKaiTai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have my schedule and it pretty much takes an act of Congress for me not to get my miles in.
I find that -even if I don't think I want to go out- once I do, it's exactly where I want to be.

This week's a little different, though, in that I want to go out but am forcing myself not to.
Old 06-22-07, 09:20 AM
BSLeVan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can always ride. Some days I don't enjoy it as much as others, and there are days when the ride is shorter or slower than I planned. AND.... there are those days that I can't ride because of other commitments to which I must attend (I try to keep these few and far between). An interesting thing always seems to happen when I “force” myself to ride. If I think “recovery ride”, slow the pace down a bit, and just enjoy the scenery, I usually end up feeling refreshed at the end of the ride.
Old 06-22-07, 09:48 AM
Terrierman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the time it's time that keeps me off, not attitude. But now and then I feel like lying in. And so I do.
Old 06-22-07, 10:36 AM
terry b
Erstwhile Trogon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long lead-in to my "sometimes" answer but here goes.

My personality is a bit OCD - I like to track things and keep spreadsheets. Used to be birdwatching where I had a host of lists - state, national, birds by month, etc. I enjoy data analysis and generally need to have some sort of hobby involving it to keep me sane.

I started seriously riding the roads about 10 years ago coming off riding MTBs exclusively. Slowly but surely, the road replaced the dirt. And the biking replaced the birding.

I created a spreadsheet and began tracking miles and hours by "period" (4 week "months" to allow comparison) and set a personal goal of always riding at least one mile more for every month compared to its previous year's counterpart. That took me from 1500 miles per year to 2400 to 4200 to 6600 to 8000 and finally 8400 miles in 2005. My typical ride became 50+ instead of 35 and my after work ride was usually in to 20+ range. I found myself getting on the bike no matter what, because I had a goal to beat. I also found myself pretty darn sick of riding while at the same time I put so much guilt on myself every time I could ride that I did it whether I wanted to or not.

In 2007 I took a new job that required a much bigger travel commitment than ever before. My riding took a big hit - I was gone many times for several week periods, and even an entire month here and there. My standing goal got kicked right out the window, and I managed only 4400 miles last year. Associated with that was a lot of sadness and some guilt, but I got through it. This year I'm still in the air a lot and I will be lucky if I clear 3000 miles on the bike. But I don't give a whit any more when I just don't feel like riding. I just don't do it if I don't feel like it. And by "feel like it" I'm not talking physical symptoms.

I think we can be our own worst enemies when it comes to our hobbies. They're supposed to be fun, and they're not supposed to give you feelings of sadness and guilt if you don't want to do them. For me, it's finally okay to just leave the bikes parked and do something else. These days I enjoy a 10-20 mile ride and I haven't done 50 in almost a year. I hope to keep it that way.
Old 06-22-07, 10:43 AM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 3-5 times a week. With most of the rides being for about an hour. A little fitness, a little relaxation, a lot of fun.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-22-07, 10:59 AM
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lots of reasons to stay off bike. Would like to ride 4 days a week, but it's usually just 3 days. Very slow starter in morning. I'm retired, what's the rush? So in the winter it's often too cold, too windy. Summer it can also be too windy, too hot, and of course with the slow start it is quite often too hot. On the rare occasion where I have rode 2 days in a row, the 3rd day excuse is need to rest and recover.
Old 06-22-07, 11:04 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes I experience that alternative reality called "Life".
Old 06-22-07, 11:14 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes I feel; like I just can't get on the bike. Sometimes I do it anyway. Sometimes those rides are awful. Sometimes those are great rides. You can't always tell whether the way you feel before a ride is how you'll feel on the ride.
Old 06-22-07, 11:41 AM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lord, give me the strength to take a rest day.

Gotta admit, I have a hard time with doing a slow ride. I'm Obsessed with being obsessive my lovely wife telles me.
Old 06-22-07, 06:57 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They just finished the new bike trail two days ago, and it rained an inch yesterday. But I wanted to go out and take a look at it. Been waiting for this for a long time.

So I get out there and hit the soft sandy surface and I just couldn't make a go of it. Perhaps it was the soft surface, or it being Friday afternoon, or because a muscle in my leg is bothering me, but I had nothing tonight. Struggled to do 8 miles, and was beat when getting home. Of course 8 miles on that surface is nothing like 8 miles on asphalt, but still, I was disappointed that I drained so quickly.

At least I got some exercise, even if it wasn't my finest moment.

As to why there are days where's it hard to bike? Well, if nothing else, we are probably better off for having some diversity. Walks, concerts, evenings out, just watchin a sunset, going to a ballgame, whatever.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-22-07 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-22-07, 06:59 PM
Fredmertz51

Bikes: Actual 10-speed Olmo road, Bianchi BUSS, Kona A-Ha, Schwinn Moab 2 rain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I've been hitting the riding pretty hard the past few weeks, and today (after a poor night's sleep), I just couldn't bring myself to ride the bicycle.

If so, why?
They say, after 50, the rest days are more important than the training days.
Old 06-22-07, 07:07 PM
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
They just finished the new bike trail two days ago, and it rained an inch yesterday. But I wanted to go out and take a look at it. Been waiting for this for a long time.

So I get out there and hit the soft sandy surface and I just couldn't make a go of it. Perhaps it was the soft surface, or it being Friday afternoon, or because a muscle in my leg is bothering me, but I had nothing tonight. Struggled to do 8 miles, and was beat when getting home. Of course 8 miles on that surface is nothing like 8 miles on asphalt, but still, I was disappointed that I drained so quickly. At least I got some exercise, even if it wasn't my finest moment.
I personally find riding on non-paved trails is harder than the smooth asphalt. I don't think I would be disappointed in feeling drained after 8 miles on them.

My exercise today consisted of installing the two Garmin mounts that arrived in the mail on the 1800C and the mountain bike That and a trip to BW3 with the ex son-in-law and family to indulge in wings and Blue Moon....oh, I'm going to feel crappy climbing the hills in the reserve tomorrow morning

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-22-07, 07:31 PM
cranky old dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it totally depends on my mood. Sometimes I just don't feel like riding, not physically, but mentally.
Sometimes I prefer to drive and I take the Tacoma...standard shift, short wheel base, lotsa fun. Sometimes I'm in a laid-back luxury type mood and I take our backup vehicle, '88 Caprice (it's going up for sale next June after our daughter graduates college). Most of the time I'm in a cycling mood and I jump on one of the bikes for errands, commuting or just bopping about. I've commuted in snow, ice storms, rain storms, wind and calm. Pysically I'm always up to riding, but I'm a Moody Cranky old guy who can't predict from one day till the next how I'll be propelling myself down the road....but I do know I'll be content while doing it.
Old 06-22-07, 07:33 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

If so, why?
Yeah, there are those days when the weather's not conducive to satisfying cycling & I find something else to do.

Then there are the days when the weather's inclement but I'm so set on riding that I do it to spite the weather, and to satisfy me.

Some mornings when I've planned a hill-training day I try to talk myself out of going (because I'm generally on my own; not many of my friends want to do hill repeats with me), but go because I won't let myself wimp out, and those are some soul-satisfying rides, oh yeah.

Once in a while the puppy looks at me with those liquid brown eyes and I stay home and tend the garden, play with him & our other dog, and realize how happy I am with some balance in my life.

The worst days are those wherein I have my ride planned, right down to my hill sprints, and work/family emergency/life jumps up and says "Uh-uh, not today!" Grrrrrr. I can be so cranky that I sometimes don't see what's available to me, since I'm so focused on what's not available.

It's all about balance and being happy, and knowing it.
Old 06-22-07, 07:56 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should ask... Soon after we started out on today's ride I started feeling like I wasn't quite up to it as much as before. My legs felt a little tired but I couldn't quite put my finger on anything in particular. I know the tired legs feeling when they don't want to move, but it wasn't like that. We rode 24 miles today (further than we planned) and my wrists hurt and my hands tingled much of the time, and I didn't feel comfortable on the seat this time. It was also hot, and I was thankful for the new apparel I found at Target which really was keeping me cooler than the jeans and cotton t-shirt did. My legs feel pretty good tonight but I feel tired. Today might have been a good day for an easy ride ... or no ride. Tomorrow will be a no-ride day, maybe we'll take an easy walk. Or maybe nothing at all...
Old 06-22-07, 08:08 PM
will dehne

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Bombadil]They just finished the new bike trail two days ago, and it rained an inch yesterday. But I wanted to go out and take a look at it. Been waiting for this for a long time.
.................................................................................................... .........................
QUOTE]

Tom-Is that the Badger trail you are talking about? The trail is not open to Madison, is it not?
I do the Sugar River several times/week and that crosses the Badger.
I use 700 x 38 tires and do not have much trouble.
Old 06-22-07, 08:13 PM
will dehne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bike every day. Most days for 3 hours. I am in a rut and it seems easy now. Most of this is on limestone, some in a park on a paved road, some on a recumbent trainer.
I see that I am in the 15.63% group.
Old 06-22-07, 08:17 PM
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by will dehne
Tom-Is that the Badger trail you are talking about? The trail is not open to Madison, is it not?
I do the Sugar River several times/week and that crosses the Badger.
I use 700 x 38 tires and do not have much trouble.
No, not to Madison. That last segment is scheduled to be completed in the summer of 2008.

It was "completed" in the sense that it will be officially opened in the next 2 weeks and the entire limestoned section is done up to Purcell Road, which is about 9 miles south of Madison and very close to my house. So as of now, I can ride the trail all the way to the Sugar River Trail intersection in Monticello and south to Illinois.

I'm planning to be in New Glarus tomorrow, for the "Taste of New Glarus" and "Heidi" festivals.

Old 06-23-07, 05:12 AM
alicestrong
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up the car 9 months ago (it's still an experiment) so the side effect of that is riding nearly every day at least a short jaunt to do an errand if nothing else...

I'm fortunate also to have found some new people to ride with who show up at my door at 6AM a couple times a week to get in a before work ride...they're a little more motivated than me so it gets me up and going.

But to answer your question...Yes, sometimes I don't want to get on the bike so I take a nap instead..lol.
Old 06-23-07, 08:12 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm planning to be in New Glarus tomorrow, for the "Taste of New Glarus" and "Heidi" festivals.

Hey! If you're talking about the Swiss festival, I'll probably be there with one of my dogs! Our Bernese club and the Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs are supposed to be there, being "Swiss". I have to find out if I have to dress funny, though, 'cause I ain't gonna go if I do.
Old 06-23-07, 09:22 AM
will dehne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You see a guy walking around with a Treck Hybrid, aerobars and a stem mounted Treck black bag, that is me.
Old 06-23-07, 11:29 AM
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think we should all meet up and yodel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.