Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Rider assaulted

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Rider assaulted

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 08:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bike Rider assaulted

This is a really scary development. A van was passing a bike rider, when someone in the van reached out through the window, grabbed the cyclist by the helmet and tossed him. In a separate report, the cyclist said he heard them laughing as they drove away.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/13540503/detail.html

And Madison is considered one of the most bike-friendly cities in the USA.

I guess neanderthals can be found anywhere.
Old 06-22-07, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here bicyclists get shot, one last year and now another just this week.

I guess we're targets of opportunity to idiots everywhere.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-22-07 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-22-07, 09:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
This is a really scary development. A van was passing a bike rider, when someone in the van reached out through the window, grabbed the cyclist by the helmet and tossed him. In a separate report, the cyclist said he heard them laughing as they drove away.

Neanderthals? Don't you mean a$$ holes?
Old 06-22-07, 10:59 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That is really unbelievably scary.
Old 06-23-07, 02:38 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
The thin veneer of civilization is worn thin in so many places that it usually surprises me not that violence of this level exists but rather that we can go out on the streets at all.

I choose to do most of my riding off road as far from the general public as possible. I still enjoy road riding but I am more careful to pick the place and time.
Old 06-23-07, 04:55 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can't let these a$$***** grind us down!
Old 06-23-07, 04:59 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil

I have an almost impossible time understanding the mind set of someone who would do this. I guess it is the same person as the bully on the playground when I was a kid.

You have just insulted neanderthals, IMHO. These folks aren't even close to human.

Sometimes I think it would be useful to have a portable videocam recording things in your life for later playback if needed.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-23-07 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-23-07, 05:11 AM
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Yeah, and after you caught them dead to rights you would have a clueless mother saying "But Johnny really is a good kid ..."

What is with people that they have no empathy for others?!
Old 06-23-07, 05:41 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
I don't see why we should be exempt from the general Ugliness out there.

Here in River City, two cars pull up to a four-way stop in a grocery store parking lot. They have a difference of opinion about who gets to drive their car through the intersection first. Gunfire erupts and leaves one driver in the ICU on the brink of death.

So when I ride, I assume that all the drivers are angry psychotics who carry firearms. Thank God I'm wrong most of the time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get back to playing Grand Theft Auto. I got some folks to cap.
Old 06-23-07, 06:20 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
I don't see why we should be exempt from the general Ugliness out there.

Here in River City, two cars pull up to a four-way stop in a grocery store parking lot. They have a difference of opinion about who gets to drive their car through the intersection first. Gunfire erupts and leaves one driver in the ICU on the brink of death.

So when I ride, I assume that all the drivers are angry psychotics who carry firearms. Thank God I'm wrong most of the time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta get back to playing Grand Theft Auto. I got some folks to cap.

Somehow I actually understand this one.
Old 06-23-07, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Giant TCR Comp 1 Road Bike, Specialized Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
Yeah, and after you caught them dead to rights you would have a clueless mother saying "But Johnny really is a good kid ..."
And that same mother would be mad because you had the nerve to bring charges against "little Johnny".
Old 06-23-07, 09:43 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That story is shocking. What a nightmare for that guy.... I hope he is not having mental trauma on top of his physical injuries.
Old 06-23-07, 09:46 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The story is horrible, shocking and the people who caused this are terrible people.

I try to remember that the VAST majority of drivers out there are actually courteous, careful, and not evil. Some are clueless with their cell phones and fast food and makeup kits, but very, very, VERY few are evil, like these guys. If that weren't the case, I couldn't and wouldn't ride on city streets, which is almost exclusively the kind of riding I do.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-23-07, 09:55 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a recent ride sponsored by the Cincinnati Cycling Club a few of the riders were harassed by some young boys in a pickup truck. The boys thought it was fun to lay on the horn and see how close they could come to the riders Thankfully no one was harmed and I didn't hear any more about the incident. I assume no one got their license number and reported it to the police.

Our Sunday morning breakfast ride is on rural roads in the area and we've encountered very few people who don't believe in sharing the road. Cycling is pretty big in our area and people are accustomed to seeing bikes on the road. Most of the local police departments have officers who patrol neighborhoods on bikes. I think this makes people (cyclist and motorist) more aware of cycling laws.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-23-07, 10:04 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always nod and say "thank you" to a motorist who gives me the go-ahead. Maybe they feel annoyed, but they don't act like it or do anything crazy.

The evilness of the people involved in this post just blows my mind. It makes an unintentional hit-and-run seem mild in comparison.
Old 06-23-07, 11:02 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I've found the vast majority of drivers to be courteous to cyclists around here. But all it takes in one to endanger your life! We had a kid throw a book and knock a cyclist down, about a year of so ago. The cyclist was riding with a group, and besides the book, had a description of the vehicle. It did get investigated and the kid was caught. Guess he didn't realize he was throwing it at John (as in Papa John's Pizza--hq is here in L'ville and he rides).
Old 06-23-07, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I hope the guy is okay. Crazy idiots do it because we're seen as easy targets. I haven't heard of any of this happening to any Hell's Angels lately.
Old 06-24-07, 05:56 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally ride alone in rural areas. You never know what cars are going to do. I've had them roll up on me, then scream out the windows as they pass. The majority of the time they just give plenty of room and go on by. The owner of a small LBS had someone swat him on the back of the head as they passed. Just ride with caution and be safe. Hopefully the guy in the article will be ok, and the perp will be caught. Or at least meet up with someone more worthless.
Old 06-24-07, 08:57 AM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the following logic problem with the statement: .....The VAST majority of these people do not do this or that..........................
Going through life for 70+ years will not be without trauma if exposed to these nutcases. That is what is so insidious in living in high crime areas. For instance: Chicago crime rate is 100 times that of some suburbs. 70 years exposure to that will matter.
This is the kind of thinking making me use trails and parks.
Old 06-24-07, 09:04 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
What are the root causes of this sort of incivility?

Did we bring this upon ourselves?

Maybe if our bikes weren't so nice and we didn't wear fancy jerseys none of this would happen.

The people who do this kind of stuff (I wouldn't call it "bad" because that implies that my value system is "better" than theirs, and who am I to judge?) are in many ways victims of societal pressures over which they have no control.
Old 06-24-07, 09:45 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a pretty mild mannered guy, haven't fired or even held a gun since summer camp as a kid (.22 rifles with paper targets) and have never yet had more than the usual jerk shouting "get off the road", or a near miss right hook. But even at that I sometimes find myself wondering if we shouldn't be packing heat on rides. Just sayin'.
Old 06-24-07, 09:52 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
...I haven't heard of any of this happening to any Hell's Angels lately.
OT but true: on my metric century last year (part of an organized ride) we were passed by a biker group - maybe not Hells Angels but not yuppies on Harleys either. Serious beards and leather on these guys and gals (OK, no beards on the gals, but you know...) They passed us at a safe distance, waving and grinning. We waved and grinned back. Just a good moment.
Old 06-24-07, 11:15 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Maybe if our bikes weren't so nice and we didn't wear fancy jerseys none of this would happen.

The people who do this kind of stuff (I wouldn't call it "bad" because that implies that my value system is "better" than theirs, and who am I to judge?) are in many ways victims of societal pressures over which they have no control.
Please . . . !

Joke, right?

So the jails are filled with victims?

And the rest of the world is filled with perpetrators providing societal pressures?

And I feel quite comfortable calling it "bad," and yes, my value system is better than theirs.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-24-07 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-24-07, 02:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Friday I was riding down the road and a motorist was backing out of their driveway up ahead. They saw me and waited for me to pass. I, on the other hand, slowed down and waved them out - I figure why should I let them back out behind me, then have to pass me because obviously they'll be faster than me. Exactly the same thing happened today, and I did the same. I'm sure both motorists appreciated it.

Also today, on a narrow 1 - 1/2 lane road, I was in a situation where I saw a pickup truck coming from the other direction, and another was coming up behind me while I was grinding up a long grade. The truck behind me would be about ready to pass just when the oncoming truck was on us. I was pretty sure that the truck coming up behind me was unable to see the oncoming truck, so I stuck out my left hand, palm facing to the rear, to signal the following truck to hold up. He saw the signal and did as I directed. When the oncoming truck got close enough to be seen, I put my hand back on the bars. The following truck waited until the coast was clear, then passed.

So, in two days I experienced three situations where vehicles and a bicyclist interacted in positive and cooperative ways. Too bad it's not always this way.
Old 06-24-07, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500 Trek EX8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're playing the Devil's advocate, right? I won't plagiarize DnvrFox.
bcoppola raises a valid point to ponder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.