Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   'Nother experiment clipless vs unclipped (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/313412-nother-experiment-clipless-vs-unclipped.html)

tlc20010 06-24-07 07:07 PM

'Nother experiment clipless vs unclipped

Completely unscientific, but very real world.....

Met up today with Bobby C and Ms C and some other pals about 25 miles north of DC for a 46 mile, sort of hilly course that we try to do most weekends--when Bobby C isn't climbing to biker shrines in Italy. Anyway, we unload the bikes, get all kitted up to leave and I discover that I have forgotten (I can't believe I am writing this) my Shimano cycling shoes.

What to do??? Pack up and go home? Duct tape my feet to the pedals a la "Breaking Away"? Naw, I'll just ride in my Florshieim dress loafers.........so off we go down the road with me riding in my loafers on, get this, Egg Beaters. Okay, it was pretty silly (er, stupid) but I had come all the way out there and wanted to ride. I figured I could give it a try for a few miles and if it got too bad, I would just turn around and go back.

Best guess as to how far I got?

Amazingly, all 46 miles......didn't make too much of a mess of the shoes, either.

Discovered that I really admire those of you (you know who you are) who don't clip in. Going unclipped is a lot of work and it takes concentration to keep your feet on the pedals and spinning is essentially out. Climbing requires a lot of anticipation of gear selection and don't try to change chain rings in the middle of a climb.

Garmin said it took me about 15-20 minutes longer than usual (just over 13 mph), and the group was kind enough not to run off an hide--which they certainly could have, I believe.

So my hat is off to all you unclipped 50+ers. As for me, I have learned to never forget my shoes and clips again (I hope).

Digital Gee 06-24-07 07:10 PM

Thank you.

And you certainly win the Fred 'o the Day Award, as well!

Beverly 06-24-07 07:11 PM

All good experiments need evidence.....where are the pics:D :D

tlc20010 06-24-07 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Beverly
All good experiments need evidence.....where are the pics:D :D

Bobby C took some, we will have to wait for his post.

CrossChain 06-24-07 07:24 PM

Were those loafers black or cordovan? If black, then no wonder.

George 06-24-07 08:17 PM

I bet you were the best dressed out there.

gfspencer 06-25-07 03:38 PM

I think wingtips would have been faster. :rolleyes:

chinarider 06-25-07 04:18 PM

I think this should have gone in the " Whats the dumbest thing you've ever done on your bike thread." No offense meant. I would have waited in a bar.

crazyb 06-25-07 05:21 PM

I was riding mine around the other day in a pair of flip flops (was doing some adjusting and was to lazy to put on shoes). It works, but barely.

tlc20010 06-25-07 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by chinarider
I think this should have gone in the " Whats the dumbest thing you've ever done on your bike thread." No offense meant. I would have waited in a bar.

Oh, no, I have done some reeeaaally dumber things on a bike......but this is in the running. If there had been a bar close, I might have stayed behind.

tlc20010 06-25-07 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by gfspencer
I think wingtips would have been faster. :rolleyes:

True, they certainly would have eliminated that annoying loafer heel slip.