Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road-rage virgin no more

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road-rage virgin no more

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 07:15 AM
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Road-rage virgin no more

Well, not really “road rage”, but the guy was definitely upset at me for no reason. I was riding along a rural two-lane road, not a thoroughfare by any means, being back in an area where most of the roads are dirt. The road was narrow, so I was riding where I couldn’t be passed except by going over the centerline. The traffic was so light that I think I was passed only about four times in three miles. But this one time I was going up a slight rise so that the car coming up behind me had to slow down for a short distance until we crested the hill and he had a clear view of the oncoming lane. He then pulled past me a bit close and really laid on the horn, which startled the heck out of me and got my heart pumping for a while.

From the look I had at the back of his head and the type of car he was driving, I can only assume that he came out of one of those nouveau-riche subdivisions that are being built in the area. You know – the ones built for people who think it’s quaint to live “out in the country”, but then expect the “country” to conform to their citified ways of doing things, which apparently means acknowledging that they have ownership of the roads. This guy is used to being Mr. Big at his office or law firm or whatever, and the idea that he was being delayed by a few seconds from getting to wherever he had to be at 8:30 on a Saturday morning was just too much for him to bear.

So what is it with people like this? I was really enjoying riding along a quiet road in perfect weather, well off the main roads and not bothering anybody. This idiot took away a bit of that enjoyment by reminding me how vulnerable we are out there. I still had a great Saturday morning ride, but can’t understand what it was about my being there that ticked him off that way. I guess I should just get used to it.
Old 06-25-07, 07:32 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what is it with people like this?

Well...for one thing they're ignorant ( provide them with a copy of the vehicle code, please...somebody).

Secondly, they're obnoxious...

I'm glad that you didn't let them ruin your ride...
Old 06-25-07, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
From the look I had at the back of his head and the type of car he was driving, I can only assume that he came out of one of those nouveau-riche subdivisions that are being built in the area. You know – the ones built for people who think it’s quaint to live “out in the country”, but then expect the “country” to conform to their citified ways of doing things, which apparently means acknowledging that they have ownership of the roads. This guy is used to being Mr. Big at his office or law firm or whatever, and the idea that he was being delayed by a few seconds from getting to wherever he had to be at 8:30 on a Saturday morning was just too much for him to bear.

Good grief, that's quite a bunch of assumptions based on the back of his head and kind of car he was driving. Sorry you had the experience of an inconsiderate individual, but how do you know he wasn't something completely different than what you assume? Maybe he was a farmer coming back from meeting with his lawyer to finalize a divorce. I mean the possibilities are limitless. What he did was not kind, thoughtful or safe, but really.
Old 06-25-07, 07:46 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have to admit I often don't know what to do when a biker is taking up a bit of lane and I don't want to pass. Especially in the city around the lakes, because sometimes the oncoming traffic is steady and you just can't pass. Everyone is going slow, but the biker is going really* slow. The cars pile up behind you. I wish they'd move over to the bike path, even though they have every right to be there.

Even when I'm in a car, if I notice I'm going slower than the people around me and they can't pass, I'll pull over, stop and let them pass. If I was on a bike going up a hill, though, I'd figure they could wait a minute. Especially if there was a ditch on the side of the road and I couldn't move over and let the guy pass.

I know, I know, cyclists have equal rights... but if it can be helped, I won't make someone wait behind me, no matter what vehicle I'm on.
Old 06-25-07, 07:47 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not that this excused the horn part or the coming close to you. That's just rude and unsafe.
Old 06-25-07, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sticks and stones.
Old 06-25-07, 09:10 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'd let him by because in the world of rage he is only a short distance away from doing something really harmful.
Old 06-25-07, 09:15 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Good grief, that's quite a bunch of assumptions based on the back of his head and kind of car he was driving.
Sorry -- I was just trying for a bit of sarcasm . But this road is not paved all the way through, and the farmers and other natives who live on the dirt roads drive dusty pickups, not shiny BMWs, so it was a good bet that he came out of one of the new developments along the paved portion of the road.

In any case, what he did was uncalled for, IMHO.
Old 06-25-07, 09:20 AM
Road Runner

Originally Posted by maddmaxx
I'd let him by because in the world of rage he is only a short distance away from doing something really harmful.
Not to prolong this thread, but this was a really short hill and he was only behind me for a few seconds before being able to pull around. Also, the shoulder is very narrow and rough and not a good place for pulling off.

FWIW, later in the ride I did find myself on a much busier road, facing a very steep hill where I would definitely not want to be holding up traffic (especially after seeing a double-bottom gravel truck whip by in the other direction). I got well of onto the shoulder and walked the bike to the top of the hill.
Old 06-25-07, 10:18 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got back from a couple of weeks in Italy and what a difference biking is there (at least my experience). One thing was that they use their horn more when coming up to a cyclist from behind - usually just a couple of taps to let him/her know they are there. If the road was narrow, they would pass by crossing the center line into uncoming traffic. The oncoming traffic would move over to the shoulder - no big deal. If there wasn't room to do any passing, they would just sit behind the cyclist until there was room. So much more civilized.
Old 06-25-07, 10:28 AM
Life in the Slow Lane

Bikes: Giant, Iron Horse, Shogun

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
Well, not really “road rage”, but the guy was definitely upset at me for no reason. . But this one time I was going up a slight rise so that the car coming up behind me had to slow down for a short distance until we crested the hill and he had a clear view of the oncoming lane. He then pulled past me a bit close and really laid on the horn, which startled the heck out of me and got my heart pumping for a while.
Remember that car commercial awhile back, where it shows a street full of different types of cars, and the drivers are shouting messages through megaphones......one driver was shouting "I'm compensating for my shortcomings". This is the same guy who just blew his horn at you
Old 06-25-07, 11:03 AM
Pedal pusher...

Bikes: I've got a bunch...

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe his infant daughter was in the backseat nearing death and he was on his way to the ER...

But probably not...
Old 06-25-07, 11:25 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Good grief, that's quite a bunch of assumptions based on the back of his head and kind of car he was driving. Sorry you had the experience of an inconsiderate individual, but how do you know he wasn't something completely different than what you assume? Maybe he was a farmer coming back from meeting with his lawyer to finalize a divorce. I mean the possibilities are limitless. What he did was not kind, thoughtful or safe, but really.
I think the OP's opinion of this driver was probably spot on- We have them in the UK too. Mind you- it could have been DG in a hurry to get home to be able to Get Ruby out again so it is possible for the Ignorant $£&*^%"! to have a honest reason to be annoyed at being held up for 20 seconds on his drive.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-25-07, 11:27 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby c
Just got back from a couple of weeks in Italy and what a difference biking is there (at least my experience). One thing was that they use their horn more when coming up to a cyclist from behind - usually just a couple of taps to let him/her know they are there. If the road was narrow, they would pass by crossing the center line into uncoming traffic. The oncoming traffic would move over to the shoulder - no big deal. If there wasn't room to do any passing, they would just sit behind the cyclist until there was room. So much more civilized.
Same in France- I even had one driver follow me for about 5 minutes alonf a twisty bit and then pull along side me to look at the bike as I was riding. He passsed a comment about "Nice Bike" and then sped off into the distance.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-25-07, 11:31 AM
Bike Curious....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the pictures, he should have said 'Nice legs'.
Old 06-25-07, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
wonder what doug means by bit close. Many motorists just think we have no rights to the road, so don't be surprised it won't happen again. I 've had far worse, like them jerks trying to force me off the road on a couple ocassions. Be careful tho. tick them off they might really flip out.
Sure is different here, in the south of France. I have held up motorists on a steep climb, narrow road; instead, when they get to finally pass me- I get applauded for making the grade.
Old 06-25-07, 12:18 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I think the OP's opinion of this driver was probably spot on- We have them in the UK too. Mind you- it could have been DG in a hurry to get home to be able to Get Ruby out again so it is possible for the Ignorant $£&*^%"! to have a honest reason to be annoyed at being held up for 20 seconds on his drive.
The truth is, stapfam really likes me. Really!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-25-07, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Vehicle horns are for issuing a warning, to avoid an emergency. They aren't for scolding
other road users.

I don't care why someone blows their horn at me during a pass, they're an
a**hole for doing it.
Old 06-25-07, 02:42 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bobby c
From the pictures, he should have said 'Nice legs'.
Like these you mean.

Mind you. It does take about 12 miles to get the calves pumped up to this extent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LEGS.jpg (47.8 KB, 34 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 06-25-07, 03:05 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
It may be cultural.

Here in Colorado, blowing a horn is an unusual event.

In CA recently, folks blew all the time, and in Washington DC it is a time-honored tradition. They blow just to hear it go off, I guess.

Perhaps he is a former resident of a "blow your horn" city?
Old 06-25-07, 03:08 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
It may be cultural.

Here in Colorado, blowing a horn is an unusual event.

In CA recently, folks blew all the time, and in Washington DC it is a time-honored tradition. They blow just to hear it go off, I guess.

Perhaps he is a former resident of a "blow your horn" city?
OTOH, I rarely hear a horn, at least not one directed at me when I'm on a bike, and I'm in the urbanest of urban areas. Go figure!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-25-07, 03:42 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
OTOH, I rarely hear a horn, at least not one directed at me when I'm on a bike, and I'm in the urbanest of urban areas. Go figure!
San Francisco, specifically.
Old 06-25-07, 05:35 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That would cause me to exercise my middle digit.
Old 06-25-07, 05:38 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SSP
That would cause me to exercise my middle digit.
That can be part of the 50+ test: thinking it's still safe to give another car the finger.
Old 06-25-07, 05:48 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
That can be part of the 50+ test: thinking it's still safe to give another car the finger.
I'm 54 and still do it when anyone f*cks with me intentionally.

I've also chased down a carload of teenagers who thought it would be fun to hit me with a big rubber band while I was riding 22 mph in traffic (they blew a stop sign in order to get away from the crazy old guy ).

And I've been toe-to-toe trading F-bombs with dumb*ss rednecks in the middle of the road.

Guess I don't have the temperament for the "smile and wave" approach...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.